#8 Glennie vs #10 Paajarvi-Svensson

regehr

Feb 28, 2002
Mars
I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on which guy is a better fantasy pick in a keeper league that is based on points -- Scott Glennie (drafted #8 by DAL) or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (drafted #10 by EDM)?

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Too early to tell, so your best bet right now is to pick the guy that went higher.

NHLHammerbound*

I'd take MSP in a HEARTBEAT...still can't believe he fell to 10'th

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not sure if time is a factor in the fantasy game, but MPS will most likely make the NHL before Glennie.

Dallas will keep him in Brandon for 2 years, and then they'll probably play him in the AHL for a year. They did that to James Neal, and they supposedly plan on doing it to Jamie Benn.

Plus, you could argue that Dallas drafted Glennie over MPS because he was a right shot as opposed to being more talented. If you look at their draft, they obviously targeted right shots unless it’s was just a big coincidence that 3 of their 5 picks are right shot forwards and 4 play RW.

Before the draft, Dallas didn’t have a solid RW prospect. Ray Sawada, Colton Sceviour, and Sergei Korostin are all long shots to become regular Top 6 contributors for Dallas.

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
This one is tough. I also feel that MPS will be a very special player. I think Glennie is a safe bet to be a solid top 6 forward in the NHL. Both teams will have openings for their respective players when they are ready. The concern with MPS is his transition to North America. The concern with Glennie at this point would be the difference in value at this juncture, and the potentially long time-frame of his NHL start. Though i disagree with the other poster that it will take him 4 years to be in the NHL. It certainly could be 2 or 3. He may skip the AHL altogether, and he may not play 2 more WHL seasons.

When i draft prospects I almost universally take the ones with the highest upside, whether that be the safer pick or not. I like both prospects, but i really do think MPS has higher upside. I'd take MPS. Though, I really do like both, so I don't think you can go wrong at this point.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Leading up to the draft I was really hoping the Oilers would draft Glennie. There were two reasons I wanted that...

1. He's a very good player.
2. I didn't think there was any chance of MPS still being available past #7.

Lutzinho

May 25, 2008
Germany/Freiburg
since i cheer for the stars i couldn't believe that they didn't take MPS. it's not like glennie is a bad player, but MPS has much more potential, imo.

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
I think Glennie will turn into a serviceable top 6 forward. But I gotta tell ya. When I heard Dallas call out his name I started jumping up and down for joy. I knew the Sens would be taking a Dman so that meant MSP would fall to us. An absolute steal IMO. I haven't been this excited for an Oiler prospect in a loooong time.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
I think Glennie will turn into a serviceable top 6 forward. But I gotta tell ya. When I heard Dallas call out his name I started jumping up and down for joy. I knew the Sens would be taking a Dman so that meant MSP would fall to us. An absolute steal IMO. I haven't been this excited for an Oiler prospect in a loooong time.

Murray said he wanted Kadri. But its a good thing you got MPS, nobody saw him falling that low.

NHLHammerbound*

I fell in love with MSP at the 2007-2008 WJC's, & I watched him closely at the U18's too. Swedes say he's the best 3kr forward since Forsberg & Sundin and I totally agree. I will NEVER forgive Burke for taking Kadri !!!! The Oiler's are SO-OOOO LUCKY !!! Best forward in 2009 draft ??? Honestly, that's my thinking as well... Can't wait till to see that kid in NHL !

AgentNaslund*

since i cheer for the stars i couldn't believe that they didn't take MPS. it's not like glennie is a bad player, but MPS has much more potential, imo.

Theres a reason why Glenie was taken ahead, infact, If MPS was that good, he would have been drafted earlier. 9 players were drafted ahead of him. Lets just keep it at that. We'll see down the road.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Too early to tell, so your best bet right now is to pick the guy that went higher.

So.. You agree with the one team we know of that had Glennie ranked higher?

I had MPS ranked #4, so I'll go with him.. I think he'll be a very special player..

AgentNaslund*

So.. You agree with the one team we know of that had Glennie ranked higher?

I had MPS ranked #4, so I'll go with him.. I think he'll be a very special player..

Really man? Are a professional scout or something? Did you actually watch these players live? Just curious. THanks.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Theres a reason why Glenie was taken ahead, infact, If MPS was that good, he would have been drafted earlier. 9 players were drafted ahead of him. Lets just keep it at that. We'll see down the road.

How can a Canucks fan say this? Is Hodgson the 10th best player from his draft year? He's looking like he should have been a top 5 or 6 pick.

I wanted the Oilers to take Glennie but at the time I thought MPS would be the 5/6/7 overall pick. MPS reminds me of Kopitar in their draft year (big skilled Europeans who dropped at draft day).

It seems that the 10th overall pick the last couple years are all looking like steals. Frolik in 2006, Hodgson in 2008, and MPS in 2009.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Really man? Are a professional scout or something? Did you actually watch these players live? Just curious. THanks.

Of course I'm not a professional scout, but I'vee seen enough to have my own opinion and not just trust Dallas on this. Because we dont know where the other 29 teams ranked these guys.. It is possible that the majority had MPS ranked higher..

I have probably seen MPS 30-35 times the last 2 years. So I know what kind of player he is.. I admit I haven't seen Glennie that much. Maybe 3-4 games, but I have seen enough to think MPS is better..

edit: Also.. TSN, THN, ISS, Red Line report and McKeen's had MPS ranked higher.. So I wouldn't say its ridiculous to say MPS is better..

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

So Hodgson was the 10th best player drafted last year? Good to know. I like that draft order is such a perfect foreteller for future potential. It takes so much guess work out of the equation. :sarcasm:

Come off it. If MPS wasn't taken by the Oil you wouldn't even have an opinion on this matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad