GDT: #79 ⋅ LAK @ ANA ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I have no support for this, but I’ve thought Gibson’s attitude is so bad that it is a cancer in the room, especially for the kids.

I’m thinking he’ll be bought out ASAP.

John

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I have no support for this, but I’ve thought Gibson’s attitude is so bad that it is a cancer in the room, especially for the kids.

John
I’d prefer to trade him with retention than to buy him out. If there really is no team that would trade for him with significant retention, then I might consider a buyout.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My only disappointment, Leo didn’t get on the score-sheet thought he played a good enough game to get on there, and was the only C over 50% in the FO circle, which was a very difficult night for the Ducks against LA in that department.

If Him and Z can continue to play very well and produce in these last 3 games actually going to be sad when the season ends, which given how bad things have gone this season , seems uncharacteristic. lol

I loved how Strome was wide open and Z was like “eh no” and took the shot lol

I’ve criticized Strome and it’s more of a disappointment for the kids not getting the points for me on those missed shots for play kills. But he has had another 40 point season, and I really didn’t think he’d produce like back in his Rangers days. Panarin was/is that good at making players around him better. Something I see Leo and Z doing , and that’s a really good sign for our future. Strome will be solid depth for the bottom 6 once we add more players , like Gauthier and a Top 6 UFA/RFA.

Z is only 23 and still has a couple of years before hitting his prime, and I still see him being a 70-80+ point player once this team gets better and more depth. As I said earlier if Verbeek trades him he should be fired. Only way I see a trade happening is if he wants out or the return is like a #1D/#2 D to compliment Minty or Zell. So the return would have to be mind-blowing.

As per Gibson? Yeah a year or so ago would have been upset if he moved on, now I think it’s better for the team if he is traded or even bought out(doubt that happens)

Sorry I was bored this morning and just trying to post what’s on my mind. lol

Reactions: ScarTroy
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
My only disappointment, Leo didn’t get on the score-sheet thought he played a good enough game to get on there, and was the only C over 50% in the FO circle, which was a very difficult night for the Ducks against LA in that department.

If Him and Z can continue to play very well and produce in these last 3 games actually going to be sad when the season ends, which given how bad things have gone this season , seems uncharacteristic. lol

I’ve criticized Strome and it’s more of a disappointment for the kids not getting the points for me on those missed shots for play kills. But he has had another 40 point season, and I really didn’t think he’d produce like back in his Rangers days. Panarin was/is that good at making players around him better. Something I see Leo and Z doing , and that’s a really good sign for our future. Strome will be solid depth for the bottom 6 once we add more players , like Gauthier and a Top 6 UFA/RFA.

Z is only 23 and still has a couple of years before hitting his prime, and I still see him being a 70-80+ point player once this team gets better and more depth. As I said earlier if Verbeek trades him he should be fired. Only way I see a trade happening is if he wants out or the return is like a #2 D to compliment Minty or Zell.

As per Gibson? Yeah a year or so ago would have been upset if he moved on, now I think it’s better for the team if he is traded or even bought out(doubt that happens)

In the last two games, for the first time in forever, I've actually celebrated a couple of Ducks goals.

As for Strome, I might be the only one that doesn't hate him around. He's fine -- he's crafty around the net and he makes good passes to guys in dangerous areas. It's not his fault, as a playmaking winger (which is the role he's been given on this team) that guys are so rarely in dangerous spots. He does a lot of head scratching things but I'm mostly okay with it because he's doing SOMETHING. And he's absolutely the only non-goon forward we have that will hold anyone accountable for mistreating one of the kids, so I love him for that alone.

He's obviously not a core piece but he carries the mail for what we need right now. His contract is not--and will never be--an issue.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
In the last two games, for the first time in forever, I've actually celebrated a couple of Ducks goals.

As for Strome, I might be the only one that doesn't hate him around. He's fine -- he's crafty around the net and he makes good passes to guys in dangerous areas. It's not his fault, as a playmaking winger (which is the role he's been given on this team) that guys are so rarely in dangerous spots. He does a lot of head scratching things but I'm mostly okay with it because he's doing SOMETHING. And he's absolutely the only non-good forward we have that will hold anyone accountable for mistreating one of the kids, so I love him for that alone.

He's obviously not a core piece but he carries the mail for what we need right now. His contract is not--and will never be--an issue.
I like Strome also. He’s a leader for the team and a very calming presence. He can play up and down the lineup and do fine.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

As for Strome, I might be the only one that doesn't hate him around. He's fine -- he's crafty around the net and he makes good passes to guys in dangerous areas. It's not his fault, as a playmaking winger (which is the role he's been given on this team) that guys are so rarely in dangerous spots. He does a lot of head scratching things but I'm mostly okay with it because he's doing SOMETHING. And he's absolutely the only non-good forward we have that will hold anyone accountable for mistreating one of the kids, so I love him for that alone.

Yeah we joke about Strome , but if he being utilized correctly he is fine. There are a lot of reasons we don’t score a ton of goals and I have to look at Cronin’s system, a meh PP, and our players just not going to the net. That should be happening every shift. We need to start scoring more dirty goals like deflections, tap ins around the net, or lucky bounces

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Z is only 23 and still has a couple of years before hitting his prime, and I still see him being a 70-80+ point player once this team gets better and more depth. As I said earlier if Verbeek trades him he should be fired. Only way I see a trade happening is if he wants out or the return is like a #1D/#2 D to compliment Minty or Zell. So the return would have to be mind-blowing.

I thought Leo was very good in the first two periods and just pretty good in the third. I'll still take a performance where he showed hustle, confidence, and focus even if he didn't show up on the score sheet.

I think anyone with eyes should realize what a positive impact Z has on this team when he's confident and allowed to play his own way.

And with Gibson, yeah I really don't like being critical of him but it's hard not to see a guy who at best is unmotivated and prone to emotional surrenders when things don't go his way, and at worst is an active cancer in the lineup. Either way, even though he plays a unique position, he's supposed to be a veteran setting a good example, and he hasn't been. The development of our youth is the most important thing and they need to be surrounded by players who take pride in their game. Moving on from Gibby for that reason outweighs whatever sunken cost dedication to seeing him return to form this team seems obsessed with.

As for Strome, I might be the only one that doesn't hate him around. He's fine -- he's crafty around the net and he makes good passes to guys in dangerous areas. It's not his fault, as a playmaking winger (which is the role he's been given on this team) that guys are so rarely in dangerous spots. He does a lot of head scratching things but I'm mostly okay with it because he's doing SOMETHING. And he's absolutely the only non-goon forward we have that will hold anyone accountable for mistreating one of the kids, so I love him for that alone.

I don't think the contract is the issue and maybe I am harder on him than I should be just because of the value of that contract but for me it's more about wanting to see that he will eventually be upgraded on. In today's NHL, a big part of team success comes from effective puck movement at high speeds. Frustration stems from seeing pucks die on individual players' sticks and everyone on the team has been guilty of it on a team level but some more than others and Strome falls in that group of guys who kills plays and, conversely, offensive momentum and flow with passes to the wrong team. I'm critical of Terry for the same reason.

There's a lot of factors contributing to why this team is still in lottery range so yeah it feels like a lot of people are singling him out and sure, yeah he's fine for what he is, but I feel like fine on a lottery team isn't very good. I give the younger guys more of a pass because they're still learning, but Strome has been in the league for quite some time now and I'd like to see better play from him for how much money he makes.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I thought Leo was very good in the first two periods and just pretty good in the third. I'll still take a performance where he showed hustle, confidence, and focus even if he didn't show up on the score sheet.

I think anyone with eyes should realize what a positive impact Z has on this team when he's confident and allowed to play his own way.

And with Gibson, yeah I really don't like being critical of him but it's hard not to see a guy who at best is unmotivated and prone to emotional surrenders when things don't go his way, and at worst is an active cancer in the lineup. Either way, even though he plays a unique position, he's supposed to be a veteran setting a good example, and he hasn't been. The development of our youth is the most important thing and they need to be surrounded by players who take pride in their game. Moving on from Gibby for that reason outweighs whatever sunken cost dedication to seeing him return to form this team seems obsessed with.

I don't think the contract is the issue and maybe I am harder on him than I should be just because of the value of that contract but for me it's more about wanting to see that he will eventually be upgraded on. In today's NHL, a big part of team success comes from effective puck movement at high speeds. Frustration stems from seeing pucks die on individual players' sticks and everyone on the team has been guilty of it on a team level but some more than others and Strome falls in that group of guys who kills plays and, conversely, offensive momentum and flow with passes to the wrong team. I'm critical of Terry for the same reason.

There's a lot of factors contributing to why this team is still in lottery range so yeah it feels like a lot of people are singling him out and sure, yeah he's fine for what he is, but I feel like fine on a lottery team isn't very good. I give the younger guys more of a pass because they're still learning, but Strome has been in the league for quite some time now and I'd like to see better play from him for how much money he makes.
Sure - and I'd like to see much better defensive awareness out of Vatrano, too. But they are what they are, these guys are complementary pieces with nothing to complement. That'll change as the kids get better--that's the "upgrade." Maybe by then his contract will be up anyway.

We did get a glimpse of what that could look like early on this season with Frank and Strome playing with a healthy Mac.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am always surprised how good the shot of Zegras is.

If Killorn, on a full season can provide 25+ goals, Vatrano as well (do not expect another season 30+ but who knows), then we made the right decisions with the signings. I like both a lot tbh. Frank is also a good example of being patient with players. Maybe Nester can progress similarly.
Yeah, the past few years Zegras have I'd say constabntly absolutely ripped the puck. He has a great shot and it's nice to see it return. Like in yesterday's goal, goalies have to start respectinv the shot and the pass

Reactions: Frosted Tips

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

I'll join your club. I like Strome. He has occasional (some might argue more than occasional) rough games where he's a turnover machine. But, as you said, I feel like at least half of that is on his teammates for not being in good spots. Frank Vatrano is both a great and terrible partner for him, since Vatrano often gets to the right spots to put the puck on net, but is pretty awful in every other situation and exacerbates some of Strome's decision-making issues. With Zegras on that line to carry the puck, I think it slows the game down for Strome and opens up some passing lanes for him that wouldn't be there. He also just seems like a good dude in all the interviews I've seen with him.

Now, if Strome's on a line with Zegras full-time next year, he may not be long for this world, since I don't think Zegras will be able to handle watching him blow yet another wide open opportunity where Trevor puts the puck on his stick in a scoring area.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I dislike strome the way I disliked a lot of henrique's tenure; I find his style of play aesthetically displeasing and annoying to watch.

I agree that him standing up for guys is awesome and he seems great for the room, which means we traded in defenseman kevin shattenkirk for forward Kevin shattenkirk.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The s
I dislike strome the way I disliked a lot of henrique's tenure; I find his style of play aesthetically displeasing and annoying to watch.

I agree that him standing up for guys is awesome and he seems great for the room, which means we traded in defenseman kevin shattenkirk for forward Kevin shattenkirk.
The Strome for shatty comp is way off imho.

The s

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal

This. Strome, Killorn, Fowler, Silv, etc.
They are all stuck playing last gen "hold the puck and get brain lock looking for the perfect play" hockey.

They play too f***ing slow for today's game. It's painful to watch and one of the reasons this team generates so little offense.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The s

The s

Is it? Shattenkirk was also probably underrated and unfairly maligned because his positive contributions were either subtle or behind closed doors, while his negative traits tended to be fairly obvious.

I can admit that strome isn't as bad as I want him to be so I can justify my bitching, but I still really dislike watching him play.

Last edited:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Is it? Shattenkirk was also probably underrated and unfairly maligned because his positive contributions were either subtle or behind closed doors, while his negative traits tended to be fairly obvious.
Have you recovered from Shattenkirk trauma that fast? That man was genuinely a liability on the defensive end of the ice most shifts he played.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Have you recovered from Shattenkirk trauma that fast? That man was genuinely a liability on the defensive end of the ice most shifts he played.
I won't pretend that he was ever a lockdown defensive player, and by the end, his skating + Eakins' "system" put him at a huge disadvantage. But he actually was much better in his tenure in Anaheim than most give him credit for. He was a play driver without being noticeable at it, and made a lot of smart plays to get the puck out of the defensive zone and move it up ice. His miscues were very noticeable because he was too slow to recover from them, but he made a lot of small, subtle good plays that added up to some decent value.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Didn't think Z performed as well this game, but super happy to see him get on the board nonetheless. Should've drawn at least 4 penalties; interfered with and/or tripped multiple times away from the play.

Beautiful play by Fowler on the disallowed PPG. Glad they got that one back so quickly; not often that happens.

Good to see Dostal bounce back as well. Terrific game after the initial flub.

Reactions: lwvs84

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018

John
seems to me no one sees gibson's poor attitude and lack of effort. This guy needs to play for a contender, not on a rebuilding team.

90% of the people on here won't agree with trading him.

Reactions: 70sSanO

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This. Strome, Killorn, Fowler, Silv, etc.
They are all stuck playing last gen "hold the puck and get brain lock looking for the perfect play" hockey.

They play too f***ing slow for today's game. It's painful to watch and one of the reasons this team generates so little offense.
Killorn has his moments. Fowler too. I think the former is a little more adaptable as this team works on modern systems. Cam does seem stuck in his ways though and ideally Mintyukov and Zellweger will move him off the powerplay permanently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad