Prospect Info: #75OA - G Jack LaFontaine - U of Minnesota - signed 1/9/22

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Can someone fill me in on Berman's Greg "Math" Maddux? It's at #2 on that list so obviously I'm missing something, but I just don't see it. :huh:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When we drafted McLovin, my Dad couldn't pronounce his name at first and I swear he called him "Fra-jee-leh" a la fragile in the Christmas Story. I still call him that 90% of the time and no one, especially not my Dad, understands the context. My Dad also had problems pronouncing Nedeljkovic (Lord knows we all do), and one time a couple of years ago he said out loud "when is Needle-dick going to be an NHL goalie?" We still call Ned that under our breaths. No disrespect intended of course.

Also an unrelated story but at the 2010 Rudino's draft party, where we drafted Skinner, Chad LaRose was the Canes' ambassador there. He was being very friendly. He either had a couple of beers or is the world's nicest guy. He got to chatting with my Dad for like 30 minutes. By the end of it, his arm is constantly around my Dad and he referred to my Dad several times as "my man Jack". I will always have a soft spot for LaRose for this reason.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
When we drafted McLovin, my Dad couldn't pronounce his name at first and I swear he called him "Fra-jee-leh" a la fragile in the Christmas Story. I still call him that 90% of the time and no one, especially not my Dad, understands the context. My Dad also had problems pronouncing Nedeljkovic (Lord knows we all do), and one time a couple of years ago he said out loud "when is Needle-dick going to be an NHL goalie?" We still call Ned that under our breaths. No disrespect intended of course.

Also an unrelated story but at the 2010 Rudino's draft party, where we drafted Skinner, Chad LaRose was the Canes' ambassador there. He was being very friendly. He either had a couple of beers or is the world's nicest guy. He got to chatting with my Dad for like 30 minutes. By the end of it, his arm is constantly around my Dad and he referred to my Dad several times as "my man Jack". I will always have a soft spot for LaRose for this reason.

around the time he graduates from SCLSU

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
A thing: he's 23 (January birthday). If he signed today, he would have a two year ELC. Signing the next year at 24, he will have one year ELC. Being a goalie, he would be in the AHL bussing around for $70k for 21/22 anyway.

I think he even could burn the ELC off right away if he signs the next spring with his rights-holder team and plays a game, and sign for a non-ELC-restricted SPC for 22/23 with the rights-holder team.
He's going to be busing around the AHL for $70k/yr for 1-2 years regardless of when he signs or who signs him, ELC or SPC...you'd think he might want to get that out of the way sooner than later @ 23

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't care what the rankings say Daylight Come and I Gotta Delhomme is easily the best, in my opinion.

Mainly because he was able to work it in literally every highlight he ever saw, which is impressive given how long the setup is.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Yeah - we’re not signing this guy are we...

How much of this was LaFontaine and how much was playing behind a strong Gophers' defense in what turned out to be a mediocre Big 10 conference?

Would also be curious as to how he won the award over Minnesota State's Dryden McKay?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My friend who went to Minnesota said it was confirmed. That was all I needed to hear to be convinced as he knows the team well. Still a chance Laf signs with us next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Has he definitely committed to returning to Minny next season?
Yes, confirmed by the school.

Regarding the situation with him. I mean really, if you're a goalie right now and you're looking for a place to play, why the hell would you NOT want to sign here? We are in the closing stretch of a season where Petr Mrazek, James Reimer, and rookie Alex Nedeljkovic are combining for the 4th fewest goals against in the league during a season where they have been widely regarded as the weakest link of our roster.

Like, if you think you're a goalie prospect or struggling goalie who thinks he can be better and your goal is to get into the best position to leverage a rebound into a big future paycheck, why the hell would you not come into a situation that just allowed those guys to do that? If this kid is really going to turn his back on this situation, it makes me seriously question his decision making skills, because this seems like the perfect spot for someone like him to come in, light it up for a year or two and then cash in big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad