Prospect Info: #75OA - G Jack LaFontaine - U of Minnesota - signed 1/9/22

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It was always 50/50 at best that he would sign. We drafted him 5 years ago. Guys that don't sign after at least their 2nd year in college are always a risk.

Apparently the Canes should retain his draft rights, however. Unlike the Rutherford/PK era, where the likes of Freddy Andersen re-entered the draft, this is also a (deservedly) highly-regarded farm for guys that were not drafted in the first round. I'm therefore not overly concerned about Laffer or any of our NCAA prospects not signing with us unless they aren't good enough.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A thing: he's 23 (January birthday). If he signed today, he would have a two year ELC. Signing the next year at 24, he will have one year ELC. Being a goalie, he would be in the AHL bussing around for $70k for 21/22 anyway.

I think he even could burn the ELC off right away if he signs the next spring with his rights-holder team and plays a game, and sign for a non-ELC-restricted SPC for 22/23 with the rights-holder team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
WHAT A SAVE BY LAFONTAINE OF YOUTH!!!
off the top of my head, my favorites were:

Frank Tanana daiquiri
Jose can you see Cruz
Julio don’t you wanna take me on a sea Cruz
Jake daylight come and you gotta Delhomme
Eric sleeping with Bieniemy
Oddibe “Young Again” McDowell

There are so many great ones that I know I’m forgetting.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I want better hockey nicknames.

I want Chris Berman to come out of retirement to do NHL highlights and give people crazy nicknames.

I want to watch Kirby Dach score a goal, and I want Berman to holler HICKORY DICKORY DACH!!!

That's what I want.

Sean McIndoe on Puck Soup has gone on multiple rants about how we no longer have good nicknames because the media now insists on asking the players what their nicknames should be instead of coming up with them themselves.

Promise that no one was going up to Georges Vezina in the locker room like “hey Chicoutimi Cucumber, it’s time for practice, come on!” They probably called him Georgie.

The media needs to start doing their job again and come up with these names again. NHL players, notorious for their intelligence and marketing savvy, will keep coming up with Staalsy, Marty, Slavo, and Ned until the media steps up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad