Post-Game Talk: #72 | Panthers at Flyers | March 24, 2024 | Flyers lose 4-1

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Thought the Flyers played well enough to win, and probably deserved to win. Checking was tight on boh ends, and not a lot of real chances over the first two. Couple of thoughts:

-Obviously, goaltending was the difference. I was looking at a few Sites after this game, and it's pretty interesting that Stolarz leads the league in Goalie GAR rates.
-the Flyers also need another center. You can't have Poehling playing 18min/night and expect to produce significant offense.
-I really like Lycksell, liked him since last season. Seems like the coaching staff likes him as well.
-The TK-Frost-Tip line is the Flyers best line the Flyers have seen all season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
This goalie situation is a mess. Briere should've done something about it at the deadline. There must've been a serviceable backup available somewhere.
If we miss the playoffs it's on him. Trading Walker is one thing. But completely neglecting the goalie situation is not excusable. He's let the players down here.

But we're still in a good position to make it. The home games against the Islanders and Capitals in April will be key obviously. Need to win those.

Reactions: renberg

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Stoalie the goalie was the difference. Flyers carried the play. Too bad 3 softies beat them.
Florida has a very good goalie tandem. Ironically, the Flyers gave up on both of them. Flyers have a very impatient management group, and because of this the fans have had to suffer.....

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
He was pretty solid in all his games for us. And injury concerns and flyers are the Standard! But all other players are kept but a solid goalie isnt resigned because of injury concerns. Sure. Bad process, like i mentioned before!

Ristolainen is always injured for example!
Flyers give up on young talent way too early. This year it looks like they may have adjusted their thinking. Let's hope so because the former process is not a recipe for success. Historically, they could always buy their way out of bad decisions related to developing youth. The salary cap change that and the Flyers, for some reason, are just now beginning to realize that the salary cap has changed how you manage/construct a team.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Sandstrom is going back to Europe the second the season ends. He's rocking a SV% under .830 after putting up a measly .880 in the AHL.

I had high hopes for this guy, but he just doesn't have it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, me too and everybody else on this board.
Come to think of it, most people here are pissy after a win.

I'm not pissy after anything involving the Flyers anymore (other than firing Torts) because the team makes me feel basically nothing from a competitive POV

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Having to play Sandstrom for another game or two may in fact cost them the playoffs. In other words, 4 games of Poehling as their 1C playing 35 minutes a game, and an early 1st round exit… so I’m here for it.

At this point missing the playoffs would be an extra bad look. Even after losing they're at 87% to make it, and could remain at 82% by losing to the Rangers. This is with the Caps closing the gap yesterday.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This goalie situation is a mess. Briere should've done something about it at the deadline. There must've been a serviceable backup available somewhere.
If we miss the playoffs it's on him. Trading Walker is one thing. But completely neglecting the goalie situation is not excusable. He's let the players down here.

But we're still in a good position to make it. The home games against the Islanders and Capitals in April will be key obviously. Need to win those.

Considering they aren't rebuilding anyway, yeah.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Considering they aren't rebuilding anyway, yeah.
You rather be the Anaheim Ducks? Following a team that wins no games and isn't even trying to win hoping they might turn it around at some point? I'd rather stop following hockey altogether than wasting my time with that.

This team might not be a contender, but at least they're playing their hearts out. I can get behind that.

But sure, keep hoping we're bad enough to luck into that number 1 pick to draft the next Nolan Patrick.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He had knee issues, struggled with his catching glove, and didn't look anywhere close to a breakout candidate at that time. He is now with his 3rd org after the Flyers traded him - not exactly instant success after the Flyers gave up on him.

But yes, he'd be perfect now. Him or Alex Lyon.

I don't know that I agree with that. He looked solid in his time in Philly for an inexperienced 25 year old. They traded him to cater to Hart and bring in his training partner Talbot..who they proceeded to not even use and let walk. Then his next full-time team was Anaheim where he put up great numbers in his first 2 seasons as their back-up. Last year his play took a dip in Anaheim but he was still serviceable and a lot better than John Gibson. This year, he's the best back-up in the NHL.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Ultimately what may save them from themselves and ensure we have to watch 4 more games in late April of Poehling playing 35+ minutes a game, is that the Caps and Red Wings not only have a difficult looking schedule the rest of the way, they also play each other twice.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
At this point missing the playoffs would be an extra bad look. Even after losing they're at 87% to make it, and could remain at 82% by losing to the Rangers. This is with the Caps closing the gap yesterday.
At this point, I am here to watch the Flyers in the playoffs. Even though I don't full agree with (or even comprehend) their process, I do agree that the notion that mentality/psychology plays a huge part in team sports. I don't think it supersedes talent, but it is important. I also agree that adversity is good in sport (or in life in general).

And also, it's fun to root for a team in the playoffs. As much as I want them to have a more concrete foundational plan, there's nothing I can do about it. So, I'm just going to watch them and hope they prove me wrong.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You rather be the Anaheim Ducks? Following a team that wins no games and isn't even trying to win hoping they might turn it around at some point? I'd rather stop following hockey altogether than wasting my time with that.

This team might not be a contender, but at least they're playing their hearts out. I can get behind that.

But sure, keep hoping we're bad enough to luck into that number 1 pick to draft the next Nolan Patrick.
hahaa.. so 50 more years cupless..

cool..

me, i'd rather actually rebuild and draft some generational talent that actualy moves the needle

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

What??

You said it was an error to not address goal. I said "yeah, since they aren't rebuilding anyway." It is an error. They're going for it, but did a bad job of doing so. I agreed with you.

Do YOU want to be the Ducks, or something?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What??

You said it was an error to not address goal. I said "yeah, since they aren't rebuilding anyway." It is an error. They're going for it, but did a bad job of doing so. I agreed with you.

Do YOU want to be the Ducks, or something?
Then I guess we agree. To me your post sounded like we should be "rebuilding" instead of winning games.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Florida has a very good goalie tandem. Ironically, the Flyers gave up on both of them. Flyers have a very impatient management group, and because of this the fans have had to suffer.....
Lyon too although I don't quite fault them for that one. He was never too impressive physically.

The main reason they traded Stolarz was because he did not play enough games to qualify for RFA so he was going to be unrestricted at the end of that season. For some reason they didn't think enough of him to extend him and use him as the third goalie the following year. They valued one game of Cam Talbot more.

Reactions: mr4tno and Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Then I guess we agree. To me your post sounded like we should be "rebuilding" instead of winning games.

We should be rebuilding, and if you think they don't need to be then I laugh. Don't be Anaheim? We are at best half a step ahead of Anaheim. We are instead choosing to waste Michkov like the team has wasted every star player since the 80s. The problem is that they've chosen to do a wrong thing, and they aren't even doing a good job of the wrong thing; they think they're going for it and didn't address probably the biggest addressable obstacle to doing that. They've chosen a wrong thing, and they're doing that badly too. It's a minimal-upside situation.

But like, this is all good or something.

Reactions: BernieParent

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
We should be rebuilding, and if you think they don't need to be then I laugh. Don't be Anaheim? We are at best half a step ahead of Anaheim. We are instead choosing to waste Michkov like the team has wasted every star player since the 80s. The problem is that they've chosen to do a wrong thing, and they aren't even doing a good job of the wrong thing; they think they're going for it and didn't address probably the biggest addressable obstacle to doing that. They've chosen a wrong thing, and they're doing that badly too. It's a minimal-upside situation.

i was wondering when this was coming..

🤣

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even defending Briere here. I'm just supporting the team because they've earned it to be in the playoffs this year. They won't be favorites when they get there, but who doesn't like a good underdog story?
This is a season they can build on and a season to actually enjoy as a fan. I'll start caring about "long term" or "big picture" again in the off-season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not even defending Briere here. I'm just supporting the team because they've earned it to be in the playoffs this year. They won't be favorites when they get there, but who doesn't like a good underdog story?
This is a season they can build on and a season to actually enjoy as a fan. I'll start caring about "long term" or "big picture" again in the off-season.

I think this is probably what convinced me to finally cheer for a Playoff spot. The future is still bleak regardless, but this group has worked their balls off this season and I honestly think they deserve to get in. I'm thinking of guys like TK, Sanheim, etc. that have been here a long time with only a handful of playoff appearances.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not fully understanding what you're objecting to

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
At this point what do I want the Flyers to do this season? Make the playoffs because they might as well.

The Flyers are attempting straddle the line to live in both the rebuild world and the competing world. It’s a line that they’ve straddled for the past decade.

It’s the worst place you can possibly be if your goal is to win a Cup but, hey, that’s Flyers hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00