Prospect Info: 71st Overall Leevi Merilainen G, Fin, Karpat Jr

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
We just traded for a goalie and we have 6 others in the system. Waste. Trade the pick if that’s your thinking. Concerning day.

That's a bit over dramatic, don't you think?

Poirier was still on the board which is a bit disappointing they passed on him, but if they want to stuff the goalie system like a pack of play-doh, then so be it.

Reactions: Leaves34 and edguy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Team decides to invest the 71st OVR pick in a random goalie not even ranked on the CSS list, after they just traded the 52nd pick for a 26YR old starting goalie that has led his team to two cups?

How do you rationalize this pick knowing how cheap it is to acquire a young starting goalie that's already developed? Silly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Par the course, been happening all over the place today
Outside of the trade its been an incredibly dissapointing day. I just dont understand the mind set, why not swing on a few players. Colorado always comes in and picks up these guys late (foudy) and then we wonder what happened.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That's a bit over dramatic, don't you think?

Poirier was still on the board which is a bit disappointing they passed on him, but if they want to stuff the goalie system like a pack of play-doh, then so be it.

Not just Poirier but Foudy, Jurmo, Sourdif, Villeneuve, Dufour, Gushchin, etc.

This guy would have still been there in the 6th round.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not only is this pick out in left field, it's over the fence, across the parking lot & a few blocks down the street. Weird & wacky pick right there probably from the same guy who scouted Lodin. lol

Reactions: Ed Wood

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Outside of the trade its been an incredibly dissapointing day. I just dont understand the mind set, why not swing on a few players. Colorado always comes in and picks up these guys late (foudy) and then we wonder what happened.

I was happy with Jarventie (might have liked others there too) but the rest has been troubling to say the least.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
6'2 Finnish goalie another .... Aug birthday could grow a little still but yes wasn't ranked to go in this draft.

Most picks after the second round bust i'm not gonna pretend I know anything here but hope the kid works out, but I would love to get the reasoning on why he was taken here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Very happy with the Jarventie, Kleven and Sokolov picks, the goalie pick makes zero sense, though I'm not too upset about the guys we passed on, though it would have been smarter to take a skater and use a 6th or 7th on the G.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

The Senators have been very transparent about how they're going to approach the draft. They're taking size, they're taking character and they're taking hard-working safer players. They're avoiding 'risky' skill players and under sized players.

If this current group were the scouts in 2008 I don't think they take Erik Karlsson, for example. I don't think they could stomach the risk.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Senators have been very transparent about how they're going to approach the draft. They're taking size, they're taking character and they're taking hard-working safer players. They're avoiding 'risky' skill players and under sized players.

If this current group were the scouts in 2008 I don't think they take Erik Karlsson, for example. I don't think they could stomach the risk.
When you have 13 picks you can take some risks. Its common sense.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

It's any good organization's prerogative to assess the risk, and the reward, of any player. Tyler Kleven with his poor passing and puck skills presents significant risk. Is his reward worth it? Who knows but is he really safer than a skilled player with smaller size? I'd say not really.

Defaulting to size and character is how you litter your team with Lazars and Cowens. You need to try to get players that COULD end up stars with some picks. And I'm not talking about unrated goalies being picked in the third round. If you're picking players who are going to "safely" be mediocre then you're going to be left behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad