GDT: [#7] Stars @ Coyotes

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
I didn't tune into the game but I'd assume Oleksiak made some colossal mistakes by the sounds of things... anyone care to elaborate for us without streams or center ice?

Radulov seems silent on that top line, does anyone think they should juggle the lines a little to get Spezza and Radulov (among others) going?

This early part of the schedule is where this team needs to make hay, it seems to me like they're barely eeking out victories... two points is two points though!

Had poor defensive effort, one bad turnover that was saved by Bishop. The biggest thing: people are gonna give him crap because he took a shot that got a lucky deflection behind him and Clayton Keller scored off it. I don't blame him for that one. That's just puck luck. He took a shot and got hell for it. He doesn't take that shot, he would have gotten hell for it. No one was open so if he passed it, he would have gotten hell for it. So I'll defend him on that one, even if the rest of his night was terrible.

Radulov I think is being highly underrated on that top pairing. He's spacing the defense out, and he's set up some spectacular plays, Seguin and Benn just haven't finished. I'm not worried about Radulov at all.

Early part of the schedule is where you work out the kinks..... especially with a new goalie, new shutdown dman and top pairing guy.

Last edited:

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Had poor defensive effort, one bad turnover that was saved by Bishop. The biggest thing: people are gonna give him crap because he took a shot that got a lucky deflection behind him and Clayton Keller scored off it. I don't blame him for that one. That just puck luck. He took a shot and got hell for it. He doesn't take that shot, he would have gotten hell for it. No one was open so if he passed it, he would have gotten hell for it. So I'll defend him on that one, even if the rest of his night was terrible.

Radulov I think is being highly underrated on that top pairing. He's spacing the defense out, and he's set up some spectacular plays, Seguin and Benn just haven't finished. I'm not worried about Radulov at all.

Early part of the schedule is where you work out the kinks..... especially with a new goalie, new shutdown dman and top pairing guy.

Thanks.

Good point, no doubt the team can be a little disjointed out of the gate with as many new faces as there are this year. It's good than that they have an easier start schedule-wise, so that they're all systems go when they start meeting the tougher opponents.

Nice to hear that about Radulov's play, sounds like it's a matter of time before he breaks through on the scoresheet.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Had poor defensive effort, one bad turnover that was saved by Bishop. The biggest thing: people are gonna give him crap because he took a shot that got a lucky deflection behind him and Clayton Keller scored off it. I don't blame him for that one. That's just puck luck. He took a shot and got hell for it. He doesn't take that shot, he would have gotten hell for it. No one was open so if he passed it, he would have gotten hell for it. So I'll defend him on that one, even if the rest of his night was terrible.

Oleksiak isn't fast enough to cover for things like that. Things go bad with him and they way too often end up as a great scoring chance and this isn't new. We've seen with for years now. Everybody else has f***ups too but they usually don't end up as dangerous as Oleksiaks.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Oleksiaks situational awarenes is bad, he doesnt have enough speed to recover from his mistakes and he has frame that he hardly never uses to his advantage.

Could Oleksiak blossom as winger? He could play bit more actively and use his mean streak more without worrying so much about making critical mistakes.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Well, it wasn't pretty but this team keeps finding ways to grind out victories, which is very encouraging. This team seems to be playing with more passion and a greater sense of urgency this season, I can't help but believe this would have been a game we would have lost last season.

It was great to see the Benn-Seguin-Radulov line come up big when the Stars needed it. Klingberg played solid and is back to looking like the Klinger we all know. I thought Johns was good also, dude was firing away at the net. Overall, they all looked good they just need to clean up some things as a team and be more consistent throughout the entire 60 minutes. And yeah, Oleksiak just did not seem to have his head in the game, from the early penalty he took to the defensive turnovers late in the game, he was noticeably bad.

But I will take the two points and the 3 wins in a row!

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
How can an NHL coach ever think that Oleksiak should be playing over Honka? Like where is the rationale behind that?

It's early in the season, and there is obviously some potential that Hitch sees with Oleksiak. He is going to get opportunities with this coaching staff, it's up to him to prove that he deserves the chances. If not, I'm sure they will grow tired of trying and he will be scratched for someone who deserves it more.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Could Oleksiak blossom as winger? He could play bit more actively and use his mean streak more without worrying so much about making critical mistakes.
We saw him play winger after coming out of the box last night. For some reason, he stayed out there even when he had several chances to change. I put the first goal against on him. He could have won a physical battle along the boards in the Stars end to get the puck out, but instead, he pulled up to shy away from the oncoming Coyote even though he is much bigger. As a result, the Coyote was able to make a short pass to open up their attack.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
We saw him play winger after coming out of the box last night. For some reason, he stayed out there even when he had several chances to change. I put the first goal against on him. He could have won a physical battle along the boards in the Stars end to get the puck out, but instead, he pulled up to shy away from the oncoming Coyote even though he is much bigger. As a result, the Coyote was able to make a short pass to open up their attack.
He went back to the bench at the 14:43 mark of the 1st period. I’m on mobile and can’t add the picture, but he went to the bench and then was back out with Hamhuis, who was his partner tonight. Lindell was the odd man out after the penalty ended. So either Lindell or the bench coach was to blame, especially since he had gone back to the bench

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He went back to the bench at the 14:43 mark of the 1st period. I’m on mobile and can’t add the picture, but he went to the bench and then was back out with Hamhuis, who was his partner tonight. Lindell was the odd man out after the penalty ended. So either Lindell or the bench coach was to blame, especially since he had gone back to the bench
Oleksiak's penalty ended at 5:00. Seven seconds before the penalty ended, Lindell went on for Klingberg. At 5:52, Hamhuis went on for Johns. Oleksiak was out there as the right wing for the full 50 seconds between the end of his penalty and the goal being scored. Seguin stayed out as center that entire time as well. Shore went on for Benn as the left wing at 5:32.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Lindell-Klingberg
Methot-Oleksiak
Hamhuis-Johns

Had been the 3 pairs yesterday. Whatever the reason was Oleksiak stayed out there it wasn't because of Hamhuis.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
Oleksiak is absolutely terrible. The sooner he's gone the better. I have no idea what the staff "saw" in him as us casual fans see that he's a liability.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I felt it seemed artificial that Hitch praised him so early and so often, almost as if Nill had decided to keep him and let Nemeth go. Just didn't seem right, but Heika has said Nemeth was the most disgruntled, and they would try to give him a fresh start. It looks bad now, JO benched, Nemeth playing top 4 for Colorado, seems like they made the wrong choice, IMHO, but I felt that before (you could look it up)

Whether it was because he was forced to, or they were trying to showcase him for trade, I don't know, but things are falling about where we thought they should - JO out, Honka in. If you are going to have a D make several D mistakes, you might as well play the younger, faster one with some offensive potential to make up for those mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad