GDT: #7 - NJ @ OTT - 3 in a row? Could it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You ever hear about the word context?

It doesn't matter what the context is. That is always going to be a 5 minute penalty, and you simply can't do that. Period. There is no situation where that is acceptable.

Fight the guy if you are that pissed. Go for a big clean hit when you can later on. You don't spear him in the balls.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
My assumption is that by fluke it was meant that such a type of play isn't something that occurs very often, if ever, from Gionta and likely won't again knowing the type of player he is.

Common sense should prevail that nobody would condone what Gionta did and I don't think that any of our fans have condoned what happened last night, nor will they ever.

Camille the Eel

It doesn't matter what the context is. That is always going to be a 5 minute penalty, and you simply can't do that. Period. There is no situation where that is acceptable.

Fight the guy if you are that pissed. Go for a big clean hit when you can later on. You don't spear him in the balls.

Sure but it was totally out of character for him - and we've seen him for more than two years (maybe even 3) at this point? So I think you cut him some slack at this point. He didn't injure the guy, there's not lasting effect of it, and it's just an anomaly in Gio's career. Guy must have done something really to stir him up.

And I have to say I think Gio has been playing well this year and that I've come to see him as valuable - because of his defensive work, his position play - battling for the puck, holding his ground, staying in position, his skating. He can be a good piece of a winning team but has no hands or instincts as a finisher. If you give another guy the same chances he generates (and he seems to generate like one or two a night) the other fellows score like 15 or 20 a season while Gio manages 4 or 5. Is there anyone who finishes less for the number of chances they create? Still, I like him.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It's unreasonable, like the hate on Gionta as well.

Kalinin+Gionta have been amazing.

As far as Gelinas' mistake, that was a fluke play. 95% of the time that pass gets through, it was just batted down in a flukish way.

No he hasn't been 'amazing'

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Kalinin + Gionta have been amazing?

Let's cool our jets.

Gionta's five minute major erased any positive value he'll have for the next 20 games. Players like him can't take stupid penalties like that.

They can, it just guarantees that he won't be on the ice for a certain amount of time, which is good news for us.

half serious.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Gionta has been limited to the role he should be in. He made a dumb mistake last night put its really not a big deal.

It also seems that Gio is a very very good locker room and team guy which all teams need. He also shows a lot of energy every shift.

Some people take heat just because with this team.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Gionta has been limited to the role he should be in. He made a dumb mistake last night put its really not a big deal.

It also seems that Gio is a very very good locker room and team guy which all teams need. He also shows a lot of energy every shift.

Which amounts to basically nothing 99% of the time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

not for nothing but when a player's best attribute is his "energy" it probably means he isn't an NHL player...

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Gionta is fine in limited minutes. He's a very good 4th liner. I wouldn't mind both him and Tootoo aside a competent center. I hope that could be Kalinin

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really don't think Gionta is that bad, as long as it's a 4th line (wing) role.

Any of the top 3 lines or center of any kind, hell no to that.

And his presence isn't keeping Josefson out of the lineup anymore, like it was under Pete.

I could basically take him or leave him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gionta is an NHLer, but he is what he is; a 4th liner and should be used as such.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta is an NHLer, but he is what he is; a 4th liner and should be used as such.

I think Hynes has mostly used him in a 4th line role, despite having to use some other none 4th liners in greater roles.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bobby Ryan has the face of some kid that loves chicken mcnuggets and has BBQ sauce and mustard all over his face, because he doesn't know how to use his napkin properly. I've always hated his face.

He seems to have really regressed since after the last lockout, even before he went from Anaheim to Ottawa.

He's not a perennial 30 goal scorer anymore.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Hynes has mostly used him in a 4th line role, despite having to use some other none 4th liners in greater roles.

Honestly don't think he really is playing anyone over their heads. Our lines have been what they should be considering our roster.

There isn't like a Bernier on the 2nd line situation going on.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm probably in the minority here, but K Palms is really a 3rd liner, IMO.
Not saying 2nd line is "over his head", but I don't think he's really a definite top 6 guy. He's more like a superb 3rd liner.

Of course, our team forward depth is ..... you know, lacking, so he slots in perfectly in our top 6.

Actually him and Tlusty are really 3rd liners, but what can you do.

Not Hynes fault here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not saying 2nd line is "over his head", but I don't think he's really a definite top 6 guy. He's more like a superb 3rd liner.

Of course, our team forward depth is ..... you know, lacking, so he slots in perfectly in our top 6.

Not Hynes fault here.

Disagree. He is trying to hard when he shoots right now but he plays like a 2nd liner from what I've seen so far.

3rd liner on the Ducks but not many teams are as deep at forward on paper as the ducks.

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I agree he was buried on a very deep ducks team, but maybe my bar for a top6 guy is a bit higher than yours or others (that's not a slight by any means, just the way i think of a top6 guy).

I'll try to follow him more closely in the next 5--10 games. Still to early to say of course, but my gut reaction screams "really good 3rd liner". I didn't see him play much on the Ducks as i rarely got to catch Ducks games, so this is really only from what i've seen in this early season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly don't think he really is playing anyone over their heads. Our lines have been what they should be considering our roster.

There isn't like a Bernier on the 2nd line situation going on.

I think there's a couple 4th line guys playing above the 4th line. I don't blame Hynes though because there's so many of them, you have no choice but to play one or two of them in the top 9. We're kinda forced to play a couple of them above where they should be, but Gionta hasn't been one of them

Ideally we would play Tootoo as a 4th liner too, he's definitely our best 4th liner and has been able to masquerade as a top 9 player at times without looking too out of the place.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Not Hynes fault here.

He might be a third line guy on a REALLY good team, I think he's a decent top 6 guy. He's been good for us so far, a couple breakaway attempts aside.

Like I said, I think we have about 6 or 7 forwards playing good enough, even if they're only producing PP points. No shame in producing only PP points on this team, get them any way we can. Whether that's shorthanded, even strength, power play.

Tlusty has been the only one that's been underwhelming in the top 6 so far. Almost the entire bottom 6 has been really underwhelming, at least the guys that don't play on the PP. Tootoo and Josefson have been fine.

Maybe we should sign Ponikarovsky to bolster our third line, trading for him worked in 11-12 to bolster our third line offensive production.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Palmieri is a middle six forward. You put him with two legitimate top six forwards, he can be a good second liner. Ideally he's probably a really good third liner though.

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He might be a third line guy on a REALLY good team, I think he's a decent top 6 guy. He's been good for us so far, a couple breakaway attempts aside.

Like I said, I think we have about 6 or 7 forwards playing good enough, even if they're only producing PP points. No shame in producing only PP points on this team, get them any way we can. Whether that's shorthanded, even strength, power play.

Tlusty has been the only one that's been underwhelming in the top 6 so far. Almost the entire bottom 6 has been really underwhelming, at least the guys that don't play on the PP. Tootoo and Josefson have been fine.

Maybe we should sign Ponikarovsky to bolster our third line, trading for him worked in 11-12 to bolster our third line offensive production.

Unless you're baiting me, yes Poni is/was a good example of real third liner. Hard to find guys like that now, though. Even if we do, they'[ll be slotted in the top 6 here anyway.

(He'll never come back, he's tied to Kovy with SKA)

But back to the present.....

Tlusty needs to looks less like Brunner and more like Poni.

Palmieri is a middle six forward. You put him with two legitimate top six forwards, he can be a good second liner. Ideally he's probably a really good third liner though.

I think MadDevil labeled it better here, middle 6 class is KPalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad