GDT: #7 - NJ @ OTT - 3 in a row? Could it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Tootoo and JJ seem to have great chemistry because they start flapping at the exact same time.

XHVuJ2c.gif

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Those mistakes by Gelinas were brutal, but he's not going to learn anything by not playing. "Scratch him to send a message" does not work with him. But yeah, he should be paired with someone not named Schlemko. All things considered, Schlemko is the #7.

I was thinking about it... and on the bright side:

His mistakes weren't really defensive mistakes. They were 'young defenseman trying to make the play' mistakes.

It wasn't gap control or puck battles or positioning.

He made a bad stretch pass.
Instead of carrying the puck behind the net and doing the safe thing, he tried to flip it back up the boards hoping to catch two opposing forwards behind him.

These are the kinds of things that the Zidlickys, Phil Housleys, Fetisovs and young Neidermayers do that make you rip your hair out.

Not saying he'll ever be around long enough to scratch those guys... but seriously, we just need a Gelinas equivalent for a 'Zidiot' moment.

GDDevils*

I was thinking about it... and on the bright side:

His mistakes weren't really defensive mistakes. They were 'young defenseman trying to make the play' mistakes.

It wasn't gap control or puck battles or positioning.

He made a bad stretch pass.
Instead of carrying the puck behind the net and doing the safe thing, he tried to flip it back up the boards hoping to catch two opposing forwards behind him.

These are the kinds of things that the Zidlickys, Phil Housleys, Fetisovs and young Neidermayers do that make you rip your hair out.

Not saying he'll ever be around long enough to scratch those guys... but seriously, we just need a Gelinas equivalent for a 'Zidiot' moment.

No.

His mistakes were the same as they always are; terrible reads and horrible execution. It's not a matter of just trying to make plays. Gelly continually makes the wrong read and when he doesn't he executes the right play terribly.

His decision making and puck handling skills are not NHL caliber. He is quite literally only a slapshot. When he's not doing that he becomes a liability on the ice.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
At the game last night. #51 Kalinin stood out for me as a Sens fan. He didn't seem to play much but had nice energy and created some offence when he did play. Whats the deal with this kid? What expectations do you have?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
At the game last night. #51 Kalinin stood out for me as a Sens fan. He didn't seem to play much but had nice energy and created some offence when he did play. Whats the deal with this kid? What expectations do you have?

dont let Bleedred see this post

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He is fresh from the KHL so we don't have much in expectations yet. Solid 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner if we get lucky.

Depends on how well he adjusts to NA ice, etc.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even if the staff wanted to bench Gio they can't cause of the zero extra forwards on the trip.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Straight outta the KHL. A gritty, bottom 6 guy. Wont put up much offense but a physical , fast guy. Can play any of the 3 forward positions and is solid defensively, has been playing the PK a bit lately.

Also is only 24 years old, so hope his offense games grows a little atleast

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He is fresh from the KHL so we don't have much in expectations yet. Solid 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner if we get lucky.

Depends on how well he adjusts to NA ice, etc.

He looked very solid to me last night! Always buzzing around the puck trying to make something happen. Looks like he could be a good energy line guy for you guys.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He looked very solid to me last night! Always buzzing around the puck trying to make something happen. Looks like he could be a good energy line guy for you guys.

Ya, he is doing well in his role and can grow into it even more. There is some hate I don't quite getting how new he is to NA ice and this country as a whole, on top of his age, but he is doing ok.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
to be fair there's only hate from one guy lol. I think everyone is at the very least indifferent.

It's unreasonable, like the hate on Gionta as well.

Kalinin+Gionta have been amazing.

As far as Gelinas' mistake, that was a fluke play. 95% of the time that pass gets through, it was just batted down in a flukish way.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Kalinin + Gionta have been amazing?

Let's cool our jets.

Gionta's five minute major erased any positive value he'll have for the next 20 games. Players like him can't take stupid penalties like that.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kalinin + Gionta have been amazing?

Let's cool our jets.

Gionta's five minute major erased any positive value he'll have for the next 20 games. Players like him can't take stupid penalties like that.

A fluke play shouldn't determine a player's value. The hit on him was pretty dirty and he reacted in an extremely poor manner.

I think negating 20 games is quite the overreaction. Gionta brings a lot of energy and speed to a team that doesn't have much of either. He's been great in his role so far, the pucks have simply not been going in just like Kalinin. The other problem is that Kalinin is usually weighed down with the players around him like playing with Matteau.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A fluke play shouldn't determine a player's value. The hit on him was pretty dirty and he reacted in an extremely poor manner.

I think negating 20 games is quite the overreaction. Gionta brings a lot of energy and speed to a team that doesn't have much of either. He's been great in his role so far, the pucks have simply not been going in just like Kalinin. The other problem is that Kalinin is usually weighed down with the players around him like playing with Matteau.

He speared a guy in the balls. That isn't a fluke.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

My basic point is that a player like Gionta doesn't contribute much value to begin with over a season, so taking a stupid major penalty like last night pretty much negates his minor positive contribution over the near future.

And Kalinin has one shot on goal in six games. "The pucks have simply not been going in"? Hard to justify that with one shot on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad