Player Discussion 7-3-1

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Expansion draft coming up in 3 weeks. With Nuge re-signed, Kenny H confirms we're going 7-3-1. Defense is going to be the big issue, especially if Lars re-signs in the next couple weeks.

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
JP
Yamo
Benson
? (Patrick)

Nurse
Bear
? (Larsson)

Skinner

If Jones is not going to be protected, which is starting to sound like a given, I still believe a EDM-PHI trade helps both teams in which they swap Jones for Patrick. It seems like Philly will protect Provorov and Myers, leaving Gostisbhere, Braun, and Hagg exposed.

As for the goalies, I've seen a lot of EDM media protect either Koskinen or Stalock, which makes no sense whatsoever. Leaving Skinner exposed when you traded up to select him in 2017 and throw 4 years of development away is bad asset management. He should be a lock for the goalie slot.

Up front, the media once again putting Archie and Kass on the protected list is asinine. Leaving a guy like Benson exposed when you've spent 5 years developing him is bad asset management. It really shouldn't be so hard for these media guys to have common sense but their mentality is warped.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Expansion draft coming up in 3 weeks. With Nuge re-signed, Kenny H confirms we're going 7-3-1. Defense is going to be the big issue, especially if Lars re-signs in the next couple weeks.

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
JP
Yamo
Benson
? (Patrick)

Nurse
Bear
? (Larsson)

Skinner

If Jones is not going to be protected, which is starting to sound like a given, I still believe a EDM-PHI trade helps both teams in which they swap Jones for Patrick. It seems like Philly will protect Provorov and Myers, leaving Gostisbhere, Braun, and Hagg exposed.

As for the goalies, I've seen a lot of EDM media protect either Koskinen or Stalock, which makes no sense whatsoever. Leaving Skinner exposed when you traded up to select him in 2017 and throw 4 years of development away is bad asset management. He should be a lock for the goalie slot.

Up front, the media once again putting Archie and Kass on the protected list is asinine. Leaving a guy like Benson exposed when you've spent 5 years developing him is bad asset management. It really shouldn't be so hard for these media guys to have common sense but their mentality is warped.
I suspects Larsson waits, making a handshake deal, dont handcuffing his own team

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Pulju
Yamo
Archibald
Khaira

Nurse
Klefa
Bear

Skinner (unless Smith is extend prior)

I’d like to see us get aggressive and trade for a forward or two that teams might be moving, such as getting Patrick out of Philly (wants a fresh start), Killorn/Palat/Gourde out of Tampa (they need to unload capspace), etc. We may as well acquire some of those guys and protect them over Archi/Khaira

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Philadelphia fans are where Oilers fans were with Puljujarvi a few years ago. They still think Patrick will get a 1st round pick +, not Jones.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Philadelphia fans are where Oilers fans were with Puljujarvi a few years ago. They still think Patrick will get a 1st round pick +, not Jones.
I think there were only a very select few Oilers fans who would have wanted JP traded. I’m also betting that almost all of them will still want JP traded no matter how well he plays.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

We weren’t wrong though. We said don’t trade him unless you can get a 1st, and Holland reportedly turned down a second. The big question is will Philly be willing to take that smaller offer, or hold out in the hopes that either someone pays up or Patrick has a change of heart

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Literally the only reason to protect Kassian is you have a deal in place for him.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
McDavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Benson
Archibald (hopefully an upgrade to protect)

Nurse
Bear
Jones (Larsson if Jones has said he wants to move on and if Larsson might want to look at other options)

Skinner

Would be what I would do

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mcdavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Yamamoto
JP
Benson

Nurse
Bear

Skinner

These are who should be 100% protected. The last D spot should go to Klefbom if he can play. If not then it should go to Jones. Larsson, Smith and any other UFA shouldn’t be signed until after the draft.

Our last forward spot doesn’t matter unless they want to save it for a F coming via trade. The rest of the forwards on this team are easily replaceable and not worth protecting.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Patrick apparently doesn't like the lime light. Losing a player like Jones for a player that potentially would want to be traded would be a kick in the gut. Though losing Jones for nothing is something you don't want to see, If we are trying to trade him, maybe package him for a goalie?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Literally the only reason to protect Kassian is you have a deal in place for him.

even then, what are you really getting back? If Kassian goes for like a 4th, and then you have to go replace say Archie, you may as well have just exposed Kass so you could protect the guy you were trying to keep on the team for next year. You protect Kass if you think he’s worth his contract and want him on the team next year. Otherwise, you expose him

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think there were only a very select few Oilers fans who would have wanted JP traded. I’m also betting that almost all of them will still want JP traded no matter how well he plays.

I wanted him traded because he was whiny, felt entitled to something he had not earned yet in the NHL, and generally refused to put the work in, despite the Oilers using a high pick on him ( that part not his fault). He also never took responsibility for any of it. Maybe that was his agent and yes the Oilers probably confused him thoroughly with the timing of when and where they decided to put him in the lineup. Again, probably because he wasn't putting the work in or "getting it" the way they had planned.

With some calmer, productive discussion from both sides, new coaches involved, and maturity/reality setting in on Puljujarvi's end, he came back a completely different player. I personally don't want him traded anymore because he's been pretty damn good and playing the right way.

Reactions: The Nuge

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wanted him traded because he was whiny, felt entitled to something he had not earned yet in the NHL, and generally refused to put the work in, despite the Oilers using a high pick on him ( that part not his fault). He also never took responsibility for any of it. Maybe that was his agent and yes the Oilers probably confused him thoroughly with the timing of when and where they decided to put him in the lineup. Again, probably because he wasn't putting the work in or "getting it" the way they had planned.

With some calmer, productive discussion from both sides, new coaches involved, and maturity/reality setting in on Puljujarvi's end, he came back a completely different player. I personally don't want him traded anymore because he's been pretty damn good and playing the right way.
How dare the youngest kid in the league not get it right away. Lots of stuff in that first paragraph that you admit wasn’t his fault…yet you still threw the blame on him. Lots of assumptions as well. Everything you said negative about Jesse is your emotional assumptions. Everything you said the Oilers did wrong are black and white facts. I get that though, being a fan is emotional, and most people’s distain for Jesse is based off of their emotions.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Patrick apparently doesn't like the lime light. Losing a player like Jones for a player that potentially would want to be traded would be a kick in the gut. Though losing Jones for nothing is something you don't want to see, If we are trying to trade him, maybe package him for a goalie?
It’s too bad that Jones really showed no progress this season. He could of had some really good trade value. As it stands I doubt he has much as players in his spot are pretty common on waivers at the end of camp.

Reactions: McDoused

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How dare the youngest kid in the league not get it right away. Lots of stuff in that first paragraph that you admit wasn’t his fault…yet you still threw the blame on him. Lots of assumptions as well. Everything you said negative about Jesse is your emotional assumptions. Everything you said the Oilers did wrong are black and white facts. I get that though, being a fan is emotional, and most people’s distain for Jesse is based off of their emotions.

He wasn’t entirely to blame, but he still handled things very poorly. I was as vocal as anyone about my distaste for his attitude. I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize him for being immature and listening to bad advice when he was younger, but, as you alluded to, one should also be able to acknowledge that he was a young kid, and not everyone can be like Connor at 18. I think most of our fanbase falls under that category. We gave him a second chance to show things were different the second time around, and he hasn’t disappointed

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
even then, what are you really getting back? If Kassian goes for like a 4th, and then you have to go replace say Archie, you may as well have just exposed Kass so you could protect the guy you were trying to keep on the team for next year. You protect Kass if you think he’s worth his contract and want him on the team next year. Otherwise, you expose him

If PIT or NYR come calling, pretty sure we can land a 1st.

Reactions: iCanada

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Yamamoto
Puljujarvi
Benson
(Trade)

Nurse
Bear
Keith (handshake deal for Larsson)

Skinner

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but Holland doesn't seem the type for handshake deals/outside-the-box thinking lol. If he can get a Larsson deal done before the draft I think he will.

I also get the feeling that he's not a Benson fan, he hasn't been given any opportunity and I wouldn't be surprised if Archie and Kass are protected over him.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get from his moves/history.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Arvidsson trade is a perfect example of how teams can buy low on players before the expansion draft. Nashville needs to go 4-4 route, Arvidsson becomes expendable. We probably have two forwards slots available to protect. Holland should be looking at these trade scenarios.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
JP
Yamo
Benson
? (Patrick)

Nurse
Bear
? (Larsson)

Skinner

I protect Archibald before benson

Reactions: fuswald

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The Arvidsson trade is a perfect example of how teams can buy low on players before the expansion draft. Nashville needs to go 4-4 route, Arvidsson becomes expendable. We probably have two forwards slots available to protect. Holland should be looking at these trade scenarios.

This 100x.

Always felt the Oilers and others missed an opportunity to buy low before the 2017 expansion draft. Imagine if they'd traded for Colin Green, James Neal and Nate Schmidt for scrap draft picks - their teams just wanted to get something for them and not nothing.

Even if the Oilers couldn't protect any of them Vegas would've been able to only pick one of them and all three from three different teams. So if the Oilers gave up a 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick to get all those guys and one got picked that means they spent those picks to get 2 of 3 of the aforementioned players. Probably cheaper than it would cost at normal off season prices.

I'd be seriously looking to buy low on a couple of guys and maybe they end up protecting guys you can't protect as they are the ones picked. Or you have made the preemptive move to replace someone you know you'll probably lose.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
JP
Yamo
Benson
? (Patrick)

Nurse
Bear
? (Larsson)

Skinner

For me the answer is very obvious: we don't have enough decent forwards to protect and other teams (especially those deep on defense) do. There are trades to be made for 5th-best forwards around the league and we are a perfect destination... willing to give up futures for nows. Holland should be working the phones to find out who will be exposed and pick two of the best.

To answer your question:

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Yama
Pulju
[5th best forward from XXX]
[5th best forward from YYY]

Nurse
Bear
Larsson (if signed)

Skinner

This might be the "easiest" way for us to add two legit top-six forwards.

Reactions: 780il

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Although I agree, they will be hard to find.

Trading RV away doesnt stop Seattle from picking someone. Instead of just sucking up one loss now they have compounded the situation with two losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00