Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Its hyperbolic, but 'don't draft on the consensus is an asinine thing to say. He's a guy I was thinking that I'd like trading up to 20th overall if he was available. At 6th overall, its, in my mind, way too much of a gamble, especially when Detroit lacks top talent.

And they took a chance on someone they clearly believe has top talent potential.

Your opinion holds no water. The consensus opinion holds no water. The only people who matter are the guys at the draft table and sat in the war room.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Seider I think was a bit overlooked having played on a team that's an outsider, outside the perennial world top 6 or 7. I think he's really a guy you would only be able to compare well if you are a scout. So, I'm going to trust that they scouted York, Soderstrom and Seider very hard and came up with a good decision.

We really need a defender. After the first 5 picks went almost totally as expected, it really could be a good decision.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The difference between a consensus top 5-10 and a consensus 14-16 pick is so subtle that it's really just a matter of personal preference. Teams 'reach' in this region of the draft all the time. There's no sure thing superstar left at 6, there's only 1 at most 2 of those in a draft and that's not even the case every year.

This is the risk of half-hearted tanking...you can pick 5-10th every year for many years without landing the guy who will lead you back to the top.

Should I link to the data that says there is a clear drop off between 6th and 15th?

Reactions: LazyT

Steve1924

Jun 7, 2019
Love this pick with Byram and turcotte of the board. Great offensive potential with elite defensive skills. Don‘t think he would have been available after 10. will be in the league weithin 2 years

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And they took a chance on someone they clearly believe has top talent potential.

Your opinion holds no water. The consensus opinion holds no water. The only people who matter are the guys at the draft table and sat in the war room.

By your logic HFboards should be shuttered because unless you completely agree with what every team does all the time you're wrong.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Seider is already a great defenseman (key word: defense) at 18. Plus size, great IQ, excellent skater.

He develops his offensive game and we've got a gem at our right side with Hronek for years to come.
I hope you're right, but, unless he really over achieves this will be considered a bad pick in retrospect.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I love the pick.
I was hoping for Zegras or Seider figuring that Turcotte and Byram will be drafted in the top 5. I thought they may draft down to get Seider but I guess they didn't want take a chance that one of the other teams were as impressed with him.
I watched some of the Germany US exhibition game for the WHC and I noticed him right away defending Larkin driving the net with a burst of speed, poked checked him and chipped it to a teammate right away. I focused on him and he continued to impress throughout the game. I wouldn't have watched the rest of the game if I wasn't so intrigued by this kid and kept wondering how he ins't a consensus top 10. He set up one of the 2 German goals with a nice tape to tape one-touch pass springing a teammate alone on the goalie. He scores 2 goals kn 5 games in the tournament. Only Hughes and Kakko were the only other draft prospects selected to play in the tournament. He has already shown that he can compete with world-class players.
I checked a bit of another Germany game and he impressed every shift. He is big fast, skilled, composed and intelligent.
He regarded as hard working character player who puts in the time off the ice as well and impressed at the combine.
Unless he doesn't want to come over to NA, next year, he will start the season with the Griffs and we will probably get a look at him with the Wings as well at some point.
I love the pick.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Fair to be critical. I definitely will be too but I'm not going to pretend I know more than a professional NHL GM. I'm intrigued by his size and composure. I haven't watched much footage of him, anything you like about him?

I like his skating, I think he is very mobile and an above average skater. As I've already admitted, I am CHL biased, living in Ottawa, and attending OHL and QMJHL games this year.

Obviously I've never watched him live, but from what I've seen, I think this is a safe pick. Seider will be an NHL player. He has good size, and good speed. I don't see off the charts skills or passing abilities, I will have to look into it more.

Yzerman really liked him, but to me he could have added a 2nd rounder here and traded with somebody, picked Seider later in the first, and added a pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
By your logic HFboards should be shuttered because unless you completely agree with what every team does all the time you're wrong.

Nope, but your criticizing the pick because “he’s a middle pair defenseman” when clearly the team thinks he has a lot more promise. I personally would have traded back with how the board played out, but the fact that the team doubled down and took him at #6 tells you that they had him at #6. Why would they risk someone else taking him, which was rumored to be a risk because he had at least one interested team in the top 10

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

?

The whole thing you are arguing is that we drafted a guy too high based on what all of the talking heads and Bob McKenzies of the world think. And seriously, we took him 9 picks early by any conservative measure. Ease up on the hyperbole

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes, please link to that data.
round1valuepickchart.png

article_7c9a6d2d-e075-40b3-948b-58089791f225.png

Reactions: Ratatoskr

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Yeah, he got a guy who can be found in literally every free agency period, and is years away from hitting a middle pairing ceiling.

Shaman making the most negative assumption possible? Like Clockwork. We have no idea what the kid will be, but we know his stock has risen impressively in recent weeks and he's been v successful in international play and has held his own against men at 17.

Is it a reach? A bit, yes. Buy we don't yet know where between Luke Schenn and Shea Weber he'll be...

Reactions: newfy

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If Seider is that good, and was picked at the right spot, why did Bob Mckenzie, who polls actual scouts, and people who go to numerous games, have him ranked at 16th?

because stevie, who has his own scouting department filled with actual scouts attending numerous games, likes seider more than bob mackenzie

Reactions: HonorableLord

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Having watched Seider all season on different levels I was pretty convinced lately that he's a top10 kid. I didn't expect him at 6, but as a Wings fans I'm really really happy about this selection.
Since you’ve watched him all season vs my two games. How would you rate him to Parayko at the same age? Or who would be better comp?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What it comes down to is based on everything available to the layman (and we all are) says Seider is a gamble, high risk, potentially high reward. That's a good pick if you're a team that already has a lot of set talent. Detroit currently doesn't have a lot of talent. Detroit needed an elite player, and they picked a guy who is probably the least likely of any player in the top ten selections to be an elite player. I could be wrong, but, unless he really overachieves, this could be seen as a very poor selection in years to come.

• Haha
Reactions: Euro Twins

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Fair enough, and I will be highly, highly critical until the pick works out. I've watched a ton of video on all of these guys, and have gone to many CHL games this year to watch prospects, and Seider at 6 doesn't make sense to me. I don't think he is elite at anything..he's just reliable. He will be a good player, but I mean....we're picking 6th overall here....

Filip Zadina, Cody Glass, Matthew Tkachuk, Pavel Zacha, Jake Virtanen, Sean Monahan... Why are we making it sound like we passed on Erik Karlsson at 6OA?

On a side note, what's the point of having a GM or scouting department if we're just going to go with the TSN list at the end of the day. All of you got giddy when Stevie took over but freak out the second he makes a move that's different than your NHL 19 simulator.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Seider is a #6 pick. Is the data based on where players were drafted or where mock drafts ranked them?

(pre-draft rankings are almost always way off after the top 3-5)

Its pretty rare to see people go off the board in the top 10, especially by 8-10 positions. I will check when I have a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad