Post-Game Talk (GBU): #69 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Get Well Soon PK!

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Habs tweeted PK is alright

- didn't get shut out
- Sam wasn't injured when he got smooshed in the corner

B- lost a game they should have won. Habs are banged up, missing starters all through the lineup, half tanking and had more AHL caliber guys than the Sabres.

- that quick response goal

- Jack & Kane still doesn't work, Sam is just filling in all the blanks.

- rather try Moulson with Pysyk and fire Cola entirely.

Other
- maybe it's time to split Jack & Kane again, not for lack of chemistry but to create another scoring line. Kane can be a one man line, only thing Jack needs are guys to fetch him the puck and play defense for him.

-Pysyk is better than Bogo

- hope the Sabres keep Cat up the remainder of the season, something about him reminds me of Flynn & Gerbe.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Benoit > Cola. Too far? Okay, but he blows.

I completely forgot Benoit even played for this team. What a hot mess that dude was. Cola isn't much better....

G:
Love that first line. They had some really really good looks.
Larsson and Foligno.

B:
I hate losing to Montreal.

U:
PK on the stretcher. Glad he is okay and wish him a speedy recovery.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If Girgensons was this offensive dynamo, wouldnt you think he would be able to beat out CAL O'REILLY!!! for important icetime?

Are you saying you agree with Bylsma's decision to play COR over Girgs in those situations? Because you either agree with Bylsma or this is a coaching problem, not a Girgensons problem.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I find it so odd (well, I would if I wasn't familiar with their posting history) that the same people that want to destroy McCabe for a small sample size of good play also want to a anoint Larsson as a key part of the future. This is two years in a row that he hasn't shown up until the season was 3/4ths over.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I find it so odd (well, I would if I wasn't familiar with their posting history) that the same people that want to destroy McCabe for a small sample size of good play also want to a anoint Larsson as a key part of the future. This is two years in a row that he hasn't shown up until the season was 3/4ths over.
Larsson's been a high level defensive player for basically every game of his NHL tenure.

McCabe has demonstrated no consistent element to his play at any professional level, and even going back to his last year at Wisconsin. His level of "good" play you keep citing was below the threshold for an average top four defenseman and he's since slid back into "complete liability" status.

How are these circumstances comparable again? Your desperation to "get" people who disagree with your almost totally unfounded and at this point purposefully contrarian opinions?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
????

Larsson's been a high level defensive player for basically every game of his NHL tenure.

McCabe has demonstrated no consistent element to his play at any professional level, and even going back to his last year at Wisconsin. His level of "good" play you keep citing was below the threshold for an average top four defenseman and he's since slid back into "complete liability" status.

How are these circumstances comparable again? Your desperation to "get" people who disagree with your almost totally unfounded and at this point purposefully contrarian opinions?
This. Larsson wasn't scoring until Foligno decided to play like he wanted an NHL contract next season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Colaiacovo has been pathetic and dissappointing, but I still take him over Meszaros/Benoit. That has to be easily the worst pairing the franchise has ever iced. Meszaros chasing in the d zone was just scary bad.

Cola is just incredibly soft and vanilla. It's funny, he finally does the unthinkable and stays healthy, but at the same time his level of play fell off a steep cliff. Defensive depth is a priority this summer for sure.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
????

This. Larsson wasn't scoring until Foligno decided to play like he wanted an NHL contract next season.

It's maddening with Foligno. He has all the talent and tools needed to be a very effective third line player, but he is NOT consistent. I just hope this isn't another flash in the pan form of line chemistry like when he played with stafford and ennis. :shakehead

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's maddening with Foligno. He has all the talent and tools needed to be a very effective third line player, but he is NOT consistent. I just hope this isn't another flash in the pan form of line chemistry like when he played with stafford and ennis. :shakehead

Foligno has been outstanding the last month or two

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I dont get the idea of trading Girgensons.

Schoop and Bulldog were talking about it on my drive home last night. That right there should be an indication that it's not a good idea

Larsson and Girgs shouldnt be an either or thing. We need both in the top 9 to push this team to cup contention.

The fact Bylsma is clueless as to how to properly use 28 should not be held against Zemgus as reason to trade him.

Its almost as if Disco is rubbing salt in the wounds of Nolan and forcing Teddy to watch his second son suffer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Schoop and Bulldog were talking about it on my drive home last night. That right there should be an indication that it's not a good idea

Larsson and Girgs shouldnt be an either or thing. We need both in the top 9 to push this team to cup contention.

The fact Bylsma is clueless as to how to properly use 28 should not be held against Zemgus as reason to trade him.

Its almost as if Disco is rubbing salt in the wounds of Nolan and forcing Teddy to watch his second son suffer.

I admit I laughed. And yeah, if they are talking about it, it's probably hockey idiocy.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009

Agreed,

In regards to Girgensons, he was compared to Ryan Kesler at the draft and is developing in a similar fashion. Kesler took a good 4 to 5 seasons to finally grow into his body. Once he did his offensive production increased...until that point he was a speedy center who excelled at playing a 3rd line shut down role. There were plenty of people who wanted to ship him out prior to 2008 because they believed his offensive ceiling was 20 goals in a good year.

Now, I don't believe Girgensons will ever score 40 goals in the NHL...but watching him play it is clear he needs to grow into his body more (still has a boys body, not a mans yet...as odd and creepy as that sounds) so he is stronger on his feet/less awkward on the puck. I'd rather wait for him to develop before making a trade. Unless the asset or assets coming back greatly improve our team I don't think it makes sense to move him at this time.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Re: Girgensons

I think some people forget that Girgs is still 22(just turned 22 in January) and looking at his career with his time with the Sabres, when has he had the time to actually be developed properly?

He had time underneath Rolston and Nolan, two coaches who aren't exactly guys who know how to develop players correctly. Nolan is all about that compete and Rolston, well, we all know what he was about (yes, Gardening Gloves).

He was pretty much thrown into the fire. Not given time to learn systems, to learn the x's and o's of the game and not given the opportunity to learn at a comfortable level like most young guys. Say what you will about Bylsma and his terrible usage, but I'm actually okay with Girgs being in the bottom 6 for now. I know we're clamoring about guys not being put into positions to succeed in the short term, but there are a lot of guys who really didn't go through a good development process IMO(Girgs, McCabe, Foligno(somewhat), Deslauiers.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Re: Girgensons

I think some people forget that Girgs is still 22(just turned 22 in January) and looking at his career with his time with the Sabres, when has he had the time to actually be developed properly?

He had time underneath Rolston and Nolan, two coaches who aren't exactly guys who know how to develop players correctly. Nolan is all about that compete and Rolston, well, we all know what he was about (yes, Gardening Gloves).

He was pretty much thrown into the fire. Not given time to learn systems, to learn the x's and o's of the game and not given the opportunity to learn at a comfortable level like most young guys. Say what you will about Bylsma and his terrible usage, but I'm actually okay with Girgs being in the bottom 6 for now. I know we're clamoring about guys not being put into positions to succeed in the short term, but there are a lot of guys who really didn't go through a good development process IMO(Girgs, McCabe, Foligno(somewhat), Deslauiers.

I agree (and this should probably be moved to the Girgensons thread). Girgensons was thrown into the fire and he handled it great. So he's not putting up the points now, but he still plays well. I think he's focusing hard on certain tasks. Learning the X:s and O:s, if you will. Combine those factors and Girgs will be a beast once Bylsma releases him from his shackles.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

That is 100% true if you didn't watch the first 3/4ths of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad