Post-Game Talk: #69 | Leafs at Flyers | March 19, 2024 | Flyers win 4-3

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Torts is trying to fracture the room, I can't grasp how posters can be so excited about this.

Win , lose or tie, he is setting this up for massive failure this year and the future. Unless they plan to buyout Couts, this 100% ends bad.

When Couts and his agent need to speak about it, its a mess.
I missed the agent bit. What was said?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Nice to beat the Leafs, but, I mean... I watched the game. It wasn't exactly a clean or convincing win.
Toronto looked disinterested. No flow, could hardly move the puck for long stretches, defense was optional, and bad Samsonov was in the building.
There are a lot of hardworking guys also to be found paving the local roads. Thankfully they also wear orange.

In case I don’t get my fix or Flyers culture from the on ice product.
Funny how the traffic cone symbol is completely cross-platform.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There have been good wins this year. I get the victory laps after those. But after a game where the Flyers were outplayed by a team that looked like they took this game for granted?

Reactions: BernieParent

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Mr. Accountabilibuddy didn’t pay his own fine a few weeks ago. “Accountability for thee, but not for me.”

Maybe I’m a weirdo, but when I f*** up I hold myself accountable and take care of it myself.
He probably doesn't see himself as being accountable for coaching because a lot of the time he just chooses not to coach.

Reactions: Amorgus

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Torts is trying to fracture the room, I can't grasp how posters can be so excited about this.

Win , lose or tie, he is setting this up for massive failure this year and the future. Unless they plan to buyout Couts, this 100% ends bad.

When Couts and his agent need to speak about it, its a mess.
I don’t think it’s that deep. Or anywhere close to that deep. Torts didn’t like the way Coots was playing and he wanted a pissed off Coots. I think he’s got that now.

Again, I’m not a big fan of this style of “leadership”. I think it’s fairly antiquated and will generally fail an organization in the long run. But you’re naive if you don’t think it can be (and has proven to be) effective in the short-medium term. And most coaches are short-lived anyway.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don’t think it’s that deep. Or anywhere close to that deep. Torts didn’t like the way Coots was playing and he wanted a pissed off Coots. I think he’s got that now.

Again, I’m not a big fan of this style of “leadership”. I think it’s fairly antiquated and will generally fail an organization in the long run. But you’re naive if you don’t think it can be (and has proven to be) effective in the short-medium term. And most coaches are short-lived anyway.
Can't disagree more. Couts was still playing good defensively and his been saddled with our worst wingers lately. Expecting offense while with them is moronic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I fought it all season. They should have sold everything they could. They should be a bottom of the standings team. They aren't. They are looking like a playoff team and have for pretty much the entire season. Do I think this team is built for a deep run or will be better next year than they are this year? Of course not.

But at this point what are we even complaining about? The team is exceeding expectations by miles. Torts is basically a shoe-in for coach of the year and deservedly so, even if he is mean to your favorite player and nice to your least favorite player (I know, I know, he hates Morgan Frost and doesn't want players to play with skill). The young kids are going to get playoff experience (I know, I know, that doesn't matter they'd be better off losing). They have cap space and four picks int he first two rounds of the next two drafts (I know, I know, they could have more and they will draft veterans instead of draft eligible players). Embrace it. This team is better than we thought and Torts is a better coach than we thought. In the offseason we can get back to hating this team but for now, let's see how far this team can go.

They're on course to remain in the Montreal Hell for years to come. Make playoffs occasionally (not impressive as bad teams make it every year) and then have no chance of winning.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
There have been good wins this year. I get the victory laps after those. But after a game where the Flyers were outplayed by a team that looked like they took this game for granted?
Were they really outplayed? From inside the building, it felt like we were thoroughly outplaying Toronto for the bulk of the first 2 periods. A brutal penalty call followed by a powerplay goal and “playing the score” (read as “Tortleshell”) turned the tide in the 3rd, but I think they deserved that win.

While Nylander was probably the most dangerous individual player, I thought Tippett-Frost-Konecny was probably the most dominant line from either team and inexplicably, Torts refused to play them as we were trying to “hang on” down the stretch, electing to go with his “forechecking” (read as “lose a faceoff then shell up and block shots”) lines instead.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Were they really outplayed? From inside the building, it felt like we were thoroughly outplaying Toronto for the bulk of the first 2 periods. A brutal penalty call followed by a powerplay goal and “playing the score” (read as “Tortleshell”) turned the tide in the 3rd, but I think they deserved that win.

While Nylander was probably the most dangerous individual player, I thought Tippett-Frost-Konecny was probably the most dominant line from either team and inexplicably, Torts refused to play them as we were trying to “hang on” down the stretch, electing to go with his “forechecking” (read as “lose a faceoff then shell up and block shots”) lines instead.
Yes, they did get outplayed.

Reactions: Curufinwe

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I fought it all season. They should have sold everything they could. They should be a bottom of the standings team. They aren't. They are looking like a playoff team and have for pretty much the entire season. Do I think this team is built for a deep run or will be better next year than they are this year? Of course not.

But at this point what are we even complaining about? The team is exceeding expectations by miles. Torts is basically a shoe-in for coach of the year and deservedly so, even if he is mean to your favorite player and nice to your least favorite player (I know, I know, he hates Morgan Frost and doesn't want players to play with skill). The young kids are going to get playoff experience (I know, I know, that doesn't matter they'd be better off losing). They have cap space and four picks int he first two rounds of the next two drafts (I know, I know, they could have more and they will draft veterans instead of draft eligible players). Embrace it. This team is better than we thought and Torts is a better coach than we thought. In the offseason we can get back to hating this team but for now, let's see how far this team can go.
You can be happy all you want about this season but don't be dismissive about the concerns that a lot of posters have about the current state of the team. At the end of your first paragraph you admitted that you don't think the team is built for a deep run or that they will be better off next year, and then proceeded to say at this point what are we complaining about. That is exactly what we are complaining about.

Some posters would like a team that is capable of having deep playoff runs and having a decent chance at winning the cup and not just some long shot "get in and we will see" mentality and it's lame to complain about the people who aren't "enjoying the wins" who have valid reasons not to enjoy the wins

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Yes, they did get outplayed.
Advanced stats are really great, but situations matter. If you outplay a team to a 3-0 lead (as the flyers did) and then shell up in the 3rd (which the flyers also did), it’s expected that the xGoals might favor the other team. But you wouldn’t have been playing that way if the actual score wasn’t what it was.

I’d prefer if we didn’t play that way in the first place and continued to play our game instead of going hyper-conservative, but Torts gonna Torts.

I think they deserved that win.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Some posters would like a team that is capable of having deep playoff runs and having a decent chance at winning the cup and not just some long shot "get in and we will see" mentality and it's lame to complain about the people who aren't "enjoying the wins" who have valid reasons not to enjoy the wins

This! 100% this. So sick and tired of being potential 1st RD playoff fodder for great teams. I’d prefer the Flyers be the great team in that scenario.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It feels like a good time to mention that Tortorella won the Adams in his 2nd year in Columbus.

For the record, I'd like to point out that I don't and did not think he's a bad coach. He's a good coach who eventually commits ritual suicide on weird hills. Which, well, look around. And the org seems to think that last bit is a positive, which is worrisome.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Can't disagree more. Couts was still playing good defensively and his been saddled with our worst wingers lately. Expecting offense while with them is moronic.
There have been several articles about how the quality of Coots play has tanked since December. The eye test works too. I agree he’s still been “fine” defensively, but this is about way more than just his linemates.

Of course, that begs the question “why name him captain now?” when his play was slipping for the better part of 2 months. But that’s a different discussion.

At any rate, I don’t expect a one time public flogging (regardless of whether it was necessary or not) to end Coots 12 year mutual love affair with this team.

It’s just Torts pulling a lever the same way he has all throughout his tenure. There’s no deep meaning or evil plan to fracture the locker room or cast Couturier out behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad