TSN Radio: 680 CJOB and TNSE Sign Exclusive Deal For Radio Broadcast Rights

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah it seems something is up with him. Some have speculated he doesn't get along with the higher ups/management. The only thing that seems to contradict this is Phoenix naming the arena media booth after him.
I don't think they named the booth after him.

Anyway. Kielback was a bit of a wildman, awesome pbp guy though. One of the best ever

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think they named the booth after him.

Anyway. Kielback was a bit of a wildman, awesome pbp guy though. One of the best ever

From his linked in Page:

Honors & Awards
  • Honours

Enshrined in Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame.
    Enshrined in Yorkton, Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame.
    NHL Press Box in Glendale, Arizona named "Keilback Press Box"
  • Keilback Press Box at NHL Arena (Phoenix)
  • Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame inductee
  • Phoenix AZ Sportscaster of the year
  • Yorkton,Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame inductee
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/curt-keilback-01064733

I really liked him.

I think they fired him right after the press box was named after him.

Why was Curt Keilback fired?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I could see that theory being true. I mean, the guy is obviously a top notch broadcaster, maybe the best hockey pxp guy I've ever heard. So talent was never the issue. There had to be something else going on.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
From his linked in Page:

Honors & Awards
  • Honours

Enshrined in Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame.
    Enshrined in Yorkton, Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame.
    NHL Press Box in Glendale, Arizona named "Keilback Press Box"
  • Keilback Press Box at NHL Arena (Phoenix)
  • Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame inductee
  • Phoenix AZ Sportscaster of the year
  • Yorkton,Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame inductee
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/curt-keilback-01064733

Why was Curt Keilback fired?

I have no evidence to support this, but I do suspect that local legend Cactus Jack Wells was under the influence every time he was on air. I mean, something was making him butcher all those names. :laugh:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Irving already said he isn't going to do Jets PxP… he turned 70 this year and is basically semi-retired at this point. He still does Bomber games but that's only 10 away games a year plus a trip to the Grey Cup which isn't the same kind of commitment as doing an entire NHL season.

Crazy to think that Irving started doing Bomber play by play in 1974 (!).

I know this might get me some hate but OB should snatch Rod Pedersen up. Solid play by play man, great showman, would be a great add for the local sports media. If you aren't familiar with him you can see his show every day on game+ TV.
God no. Rod Pederson is the biggest goofball. Jim Toth would be a better choice than Rod.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Munz sounds like a guy calling a game through a megaphone in the 1930’s, Edmonds sounds like he’s got rabies!
Edmonds sounds like he just finished a pack of smokes and a bottle of Jack then proceeds to call sporting events.
Munz sounds like he is trying to hard. No natural flow here. Plus he looks like one of Spidermans greatest villains.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Not sure if they are running on 1290 at all but with OB we're gonna get a healthy dose of Appelt's Jewelry advertising. Those are just hideous! Especially once you know what Mrs Appelt is really all about...

Show your lady you REALLY love her. Get her this $10000 diamond ring! It's the only way to say I love you!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Hope to hell ‘OB goes with a young up and coming PxP who turns into the next Irving or Keilback!

will be PO’d if it’s retreads like Moore, Edmonds or Munz in the booth again!

Beyak as just the radio voice would be acceptable.

Since there was some talk that Bob Irving wouldn't do the Jets games because of his age... exactly how old is Dennis Beyak? His bio states he started calling games for the Flin Flon Bombers in 1970!

I enjoy Edmonds calls and hope he gets the gig. A little surprised they haven't announced anything yet - once the season gets announced things are going to move in a hurry!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I don’t mind Edmonds when he does play by play.

Anything is better than listening to him hosting a radio show. He speaks.......so slow.......like he ......thinks.....people are ......hanging off .......every word. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU ARE SAYING YOU SIMPLETON. Even his co hosts try to speed him up by interrupting or maybe they just think he is finished speaking on one of his pauses and then he gets cranky with them.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Since there was some talk that Bob Irving wouldn't do the Jets games because of his age... exactly how old is Dennis Beyak? His bio states he started calling games for the Flin Flon Bombers in 1970!

I enjoy Edmonds calls and hope he gets the gig. A little surprised they haven't announced anything yet - once the season gets announced things are going to move in a hurry!

Sorry but don't think Edmonds is an NHL level PxP guy, he peaked with the Goldeyes! There are guys in the WHL who are better even the guy as close as Brandon!

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011

Anything is better than listening to him hosting a radio show. He speaks.......so slow.......like he ......thinks.....people are ......hanging off .......every word. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU ARE SAYING YOU SIMPLETON. Even his co hosts try to speed him up by interrupting or maybe they just think he is finished speaking on one of his pauses and then he gets cranky with them.
100 % agree with this - his cadence is pretty much unlistenable!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Sorry but don't think Edmonds is an NHL level PxP guy, he peaked with the Goldeyes! There are guys in the WHL who are better even the guy as close as Brandon!

Not sure what a "NHL level PbP guy" is, but since Edmonds has been calling games in the NHL for a number of years he kind of is by definition. But it is inherently a kind-of subjective.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Irving already said he isn't going to do Jets PxP… he turned 70 this year and is basically semi-retired at this point. He still does Bomber games but that's only 10 away games a year plus a trip to the Grey Cup which isn't the same kind of commitment as doing an entire NHL season.

Crazy to think that Irving started doing Bomber play by play in 1974 (!).

I know this might get me some hate but OB should snatch Rod Pedersen up. Solid play by play man, great showman, would be a great add for the local sports media. If you aren't familiar with him you can see his show every day on game+ TV.

Iconic voice and salt of the earth. All around a very nice man. Have had the pleasure of spending time with him in a personal setting on a few occasions and loved every moment!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Not sure if they are running on 1290 at all but with OB we're gonna get a healthy dose of Appelt's Jewelry advertising. Those are just hideous! Especially once you know what Mrs Appelt is really all about...

Show your lady you REALLY love her. Get her this $10000 diamond ring! It's the only way to say I love you!

A good guideline for an engagement ring is two months salary.:rolleyes:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Edmonds talk radio style reminds me of one of those smarmy radio call in personalities. However some of those hosts are entertaining at least and aren't simpletons.

Edmonds trys too hard to make everything sound profound and important. I also dislike his hockey play by play style. He tries to pack in WAY to much information and rushes through the call. He runs out of breath sometimes. But he was absolutely perfect as a baseball announcer . Thats his strong suit. I understand why he wanted to progress his career though

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad