Post-Game Talk: #68 | Flyers at Bruins | March 16, 2024 | Flyers lose 6-5

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Shot attempts with Frost: 21-8
Shot attempts with Tippett: 25-7

And last year it was true Frost played better against bad teams. This year Frost is just better. Hopefully whatever run they make at Zegras doesn't include Frost.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
another dub for the frost fans! that goal was sick.
Tortorella will bench him

Ersson has to play every game... take the good with the bad. I don't go for this "wear him out" crap...he's 24. Only 1 back to back left, and 3 days off before and 2 after. He'll have bad games...but some good ones too. And Deslaurier looks like Jelly Roll....
ND goal will catapult him into the Flyers HOF

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Shot attempts with Frost: 21-8
Shot attempts with Tippett: 25-7

And last year it was true Frost played better against bad teams. This year Frost is just better. Hopefully whatever run they make at Zegras doesn't include Frost.
I've been trying to dream up scenarios of getting Zegras without including Frost - that would catapult this team IMO. Maybe something around Foerster, since we're stacked at wing.

I'd try to get Verbeek to bite 1:1 because they want big, 2 way shooting wingers. I'd hate losing him but Zegras has 1C upside. Foerester has 2RW/LW upside.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Didn’t watch a second , but this times a billion.
Understand the notion, but there's a reason Raanta was on waivers, too. From a team that's better in all aspects than the Flyers and has had markedly worse goaltending this season on. They decided to just let him go

I appreciate the attempt to knock on the management team again, but there's a high probability that Raanta is/would have been worse than Sandstrom. Context is important here.

It goes to show you why keeping Walker (who is excelling in Colorado, no surprise) - was a serious consideration for extension, which also then was compounded by the loss of Seeler - perhaps the best second pair in the league (they were top 5 in fancy stats IIRC) - suddenly just vanished. Not only that - a pretty strong 3rd pair including Risto, as a result - also vanished.

I'm not sure what anybody expected here. Jersey lost a single top 4 d-man for the year, and has inconsistent goaltending, and they're floundered even worse - even with their superstars. They had the whole year to find a solution and they - promoted their #2OV top prospect - who came on strong, and as expected, has faded. Everybody starts off really strong with the adrenaline. Let's not forget Tyson Foerster with 7 points in his first 8 NHL games. The Flyers promoted their less talented rookie d-men and what are we expecting here? Everybody wants to say ' I told you so - the Flyers have fallen off' but have they really? It's not the same team at all that it was 4 weeks ago. Are we really saying -

York-Sanheim
Zamula-Johnson
Staal-Attard
Ginning?

vs

York-Sanheim
Seeler-Walker
Ristolainen-Zamula
Staal-Johnson

are even comparable as defenses? If Drysdale was healthy, he could fill in for Walker at least in terms of talent, but not as a player (as of now) - but that's still 10x better then the slop now.

Sustained production takes model examples - you hear it all the time - take for example Barkov to Jagr. Barkov is on record saying that seeing how much Jagr works at his game is why he took multiple leaps. This is why their insistence on culture - it's hard to disagree. Very few players - really only transcendental ones - will just be awesome regardless of environment.

And as MSE posted earlier - I think the Flyers are gun-shy enough with super high end draft picks. JVR, Patrick, and Gauthier are their highest picks in the organization over the last 15ish years. One an average player, one a bust, and one didn't want to be here. With that kind of luck/precedence/karma whatever you want to call it - I wouldn't give a shit about a top 5 pick either if I'm management. 3 strikes, right? It's certainly not compelling enough to tank seasons for one. Take a gander over to the Ducks board as well - their fanbase can't wash the stink off of losing and are losing their minds - in the 6th year of their supposed re-build after stockpiling tons of prospects - and are still in tank-a-thon. A year they were supposed to be trending upwards at least a bit, or turning the corner - but they don't see it. Because in 3 years, people will need contracts, raises, and the team will be entirely different anyway - some prospects will be great, some will bust - nothing's a guarantee. They're freaking about being Buffalo west and they are 6 years in!

Anyway, regarding the Flyers, saying now after a team loses 4 top 4 d-men to various causes in a matter of a few days that they can just continue as is - is disingenuous at best. There is not a single team in the NHL that can withstand that type of blow to their d-corps and just 'keep winning.' This isn't a team that's just fallen off - it's just a different team. One everybody claimed they wanted, by the way at the beginning of the year. And even still - they hung in there with a league elite today, even if they didn't win.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
And now we know why Torts had to have a cast.

"Cast in this unlikely role
Ill-equipped to whack"

1710686379585.png

• Haha
Reactions: Flyer lurker

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Understand the notion, but there's a reason Raanta was on waivers, too. From a team that's better in all aspects than the Flyers and has had markedly worse goaltending this season on. They decided to just let him go

I appreciate the attempt to knock on the management team again, but there's a high probability that Raanta is/would have been worse than Sandstrom. Context is important here.

It goes to show you why keeping Walker (who is excelling in Colorado, no surprise) - was a serious consideration for extension, which also then was compounded by the loss of Seeler - perhaps the best second pair in the league (they were top 5 in fancy stats IIRC) - suddenly just vanished. Not only that - a pretty strong 3rd pair including Risto, as a result - also vanished.

I'm not sure what anybody expected here. Jersey lost a single top 4 d-man for the year, and has inconsistent goaltending, and they're floundered even worse - even with their superstars. They had the whole year to find a solution and they - promoted their #2OV top prospect - who came on strong, and as expected, has faded. Everybody starts off really strong with the adrenaline. Let's not forget Tyson Foerster with 7 points in his first 8 NHL games. The Flyers promoted their less talented rookie d-men and what are we expecting here? Everybody wants to say ' I told you so - the Flyers have fallen off' but have they really? It's not the same team at all that it was 4 weeks ago. Are we really saying -

York-Sanheim
Zamula-Johnson
Staal-Attard
Ginning?

vs

York-Sanheim
Seeler-Walker
Ristolainen-Zamula
Staal-Johnson

are even comparable as defenses? If Drysdale was healthy, he could fill in for Walker at least in terms of talent, but not as a player (as of now) - but that's still 10x better then the slop now.

Sustained production takes model examples - you hear it all the time - take for example Barkov to Jagr. Barkov is on record saying that seeing how much Jagr works at his game is why he took multiple leaps. This is why their insistence on culture - it's hard to disagree. Very few players - really only transcendental ones - will just be awesome regardless of environment.

And as MSE posted earlier - I think the Flyers are gun-shy enough with super high end draft picks. JVR, Patrick, and Gauthier are their highest picks in the organization over the last 15ish years. One an average player, one a bust, and one didn't want to be here. With that kind of luck/precedence/karma whatever you want to call it - I wouldn't give a shit about a top 5 pick either if I'm management. 3 strikes, right? It's certainly not compelling enough to tank seasons for one. Take a gander over to the Ducks board as well - their fanbase can't wash the stink off of losing and are losing their minds - in the 6th year of their supposed re-build after stockpiling tons of prospects - and are still in tank-a-thon. A year they were supposed to be trending upwards at least a bit, or turning the corner - but they don't see it. Because in 3 years, people will need contracts, raises, and the team will be entirely different anyway - some prospects will be great, some will bust - nothing's a guarantee. They're freaking about being Buffalo west and they are 6 years in!

Anyway, regarding the Flyers, saying now after a team loses 4 top 4 d-men to various causes in a matter of a few days that they can just continue as is - is disingenuous at best. There is not a single team in the NHL that can withstand that type of blow to their d-corps and just 'keep winning.' This isn't a team that's just fallen off - it's just a different team. One everybody claimed they wanted, by the way at the beginning of the year. And even still - they hung in there with a league elite today, even if they didn't win.
You bring up very valid points that I am not even going to try to argue against (I can't disagree). I still prefer to see, young, exciting talent over this hodge podge of vet-tran vanilla grinders. I was at the San Jose game and fell asleep 2X; I prefer to be entertained regardless of the result.

No one wanted Seeler 3 years ago, but because he is the type of player the Flyers relish (vanilla, boring, grinder), the Flyers gave him a chance to develop his game, and he did. I wanted them to play the youth this year and give them a chance to develop their game. As you stated there most definitely would be highs and lows, but they are far better alternatives than the pylons the are putting out there now.

I understand what you are saying about the high-end 1st round picks, but the Flyers were the ones selecting so their hesitation is self-inflicted (it is a long history of bad management). With the JVR pick I would have preferred Voracek but he was European and JVR was a big North American (although career stats only slightly favor V). With Patrick, he was damaged goods from the get-go, but once again "big North American" trumps everything else. With Gauthier, he should have been signed this year but the Flyers did not want to guarantee him a spot over some vet-trans that they, for some ungodly reason, felt an obligation to. A guaranteed spot was a moot point, as there was no way he was not going to make this roster.

The Flyers incessant belief, ala Jim Carey, "so you are saying there is a chance" is why they have won nothing in 50 years. God bless them, each year in September they look at their roster and think to themselves "we could win it all this year".

Reactions: BernieParent

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
people want the Flyers to lose, get mad when they lose. Hilarious
I mean, management has made it clear, despite what they've been saying, that they're not rebuilding. If they aren't rebuilding and wanted to try and make the playoffs, they did a terrible job at that as well. This organization has no direction

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I mean, management has made it clear, despite what they've been saying, that they're not rebuilding. If they aren't rebuilding and wanted to try and make the playoffs, they did a terrible job at that as well. This organization has no direction

No non-rebuilding team trades away Walker, an elite 2nd pair d-man per this season - especially with the way the injuries were piling up. You can keep saying it but that doesn’t make it true.

They are definitely rebuilding. They are not tankkng. They don’t mean the same thing. You can disagree with their approach to it, but just shouting they’re not doing it is disingenuous.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
No non-rebuilding team trades away Walker, an elite 2nd pair d-man per this season - especially with the way the injuries were piling up. You can keep saying it but that doesn’t make it true.

They are definitely rebuilding. They are not tankkng. They don’t mean the same thing. You can disagree with their approach to it, but just shouting they’re not doing it is disingenuous.
Rebuilding teams don't resign players like Seeler and hold onto players like Laughton. And don't trade for players like Johnson. And don't feel the need to offload bad contracts no matter what like Hayes.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s almost as if, they fired Fletcher only because they were forced to by the fanbase.

Nothing else has changed. It’s not a rebuild.

It’s a half ass half in, half out retool. Same as we have seen since Pronger went down, and Giroux was named captain in 2013. It’s the same bullshit approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad