Post-Game Talk (GBU): #67 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Dragons Teeth and Other Tank Obstacles

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I actually agree with him. But unlike Kadri, Jack still is young and will only get better.

I think it's a bit overstated too. He can definitely improve, but has been better lately.

After last night, Kadri was in no position to be taking a backhanded shot like that anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it's a bit overstated too. He can definitely improve, but has been better lately.

After last night, Kadri was in no position to be taking a backhanded shot like that anyway.

I'd like to see Bogo or Kane tune Kadri up next game, right from the get go. Even take the additional penalty to send the message.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
For the better part of the game, i was kind of bored, so i didn't pay super close attention.

I will say that Reinhart has been a revelation over the last few games and it was great to see him rewarded with a multipoint night and SO winning goal.

Eichel can look great and awful in the span of one shift. Rookies will be rookies and he's gonna be a good one, but right now you can see the growing pains a bit.

Larry and Foligno have excellent chemistry and played another solid game. Gionta does well on that line too.

Girgensons is very underrated. In one shift he was all over three leaf players, up and down the ice, and then still had enough gas to generate a rush. He isn't super flashy, but this kid works hard and is fun to watch.

Kadri is a punk.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Naz gets beaten on Jack's goal, throws shade about d-zone skills after the game. Well done Naz, well done.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I've been moving so I haven't been able to watch much of late but McCabe Bogo jumps off the lineup sheet as a bad pairing. Either one of them seems like a great fit for Pysyk's steadying hand.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been moving so I haven't been able to watch much of late but McCabe Bogo jumps off the lineup sheet as a bad pairing. Either one of them seems like a great fit for Pysyk's steadying hand.

Problem is, Pysyk played down to his pairing responsibilities, at least last night. Yes, he scored, which is awesome. That said, he had some un-Pysyk like moments all over the ice. McCabe-Pysyk was a thing way, way back when but that then puts Cola-Bogo or Cola-Risto as the other pairs. :help:

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
G - Samson and Eichel were great. I've really liked the game Foligno has been playing lately. That line with him and Larsson and Gio is really nice. I thought Zemgus was all over the ice last night. It's a shame he has such awful line-mates right now.

B- Friggin Kane needs to stop shooting from everywhere. I'm all for the guy putting the puck on the net, but man, stop and take a look around dude, see where your teammates are.

U - Why is COR on the power play? Why would Bylsma reward a player like him with PP minutes over Girgs or Foligno? Makes no sense to me at all.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Happy with two points. Love that this team is watchable every night due to youth.

I was fortunate (I am fortunate) to have taken in a lot of Tavares being in Islander territory my whole life. This cerebral play that produces offense we are seeing from Samson is eerily similar to what I saw early with JT. The feet get faster, though they're not there yet, and the brain is ahead of most who are on the ice.

Ferraro nailed it on the Leafs broadcast about him not "wow-ing" you but excelling in all zones using his stick and his hands and his brain.

Ristolainen is a #1

COR can't be given PP time. Sorry. Speaking of which...

------------

The PP is abysmal. Several things wrong:

- there is ZERO urgency displayed by any one of the five players on the ice at a given time. Such a nonchalance when retrieving the puck, the slowest possible zone entry (if even successful)...

- every skater is stuck in mud. No movement with bodies, nobody finding space or moving into a passing lane... It is ridiculously easy to defend.

- minimal puck movement. When they do move it, it's at a snail's pace... Aside from that, it's the attempting of the perfect Connolly pass or the "works one in ten times" feed... And stop with the ****ing sauce. Make a pass like a normal hockey player, tape to tape, along the ice.

That late 00's DET break-in is enough to drive you insane. I still don't understand why so many think it is effective to have three guys standing flat footed at the offensive blueline, then having a fourth guy who has a head of speed end up joining them stagnated on the line after he drops it to the last man, with the hopes that he can meander through the traffic set forth by his own guys and the PKers.

We go in and out of that break in, but I need to see it zero more times okay thanks.

----------------

Having a tough time with Pysyk in the sense that I see glimpses of excellence but a ton of settling for mediocrity. He's safe, doesn't really get beat, which you like from your blueline, obviously. But he can wheel, he can handle the puck, he can shoot, and he certainly can think the game. I'd like to see him be more consistently noticeable in a good way.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Happy with two points. Love that this team is watchable every night due to youth.

I was fortunate (I am fortunate) to have taken in a lot of Tavares being in Islander territory my whole life. This cerebral play that produces offense we are seeing from Samson is eerily similar to what I saw early with JT. The feet get faster, though they're not there yet, and the brain is ahead of most who are on the ice.

Ferraro nailed it on the Leafs broadcast about him not "wow-ing" you but excelling in all zones using his stick and his hands and his brain.

Ristolainen is a #1

COR can't be given PP time. Sorry. Speaking of which...

------------

The PP is abysmal. Several things wrong:

- there is ZERO urgency displayed by any one of the five players on the ice at a given time. Such a nonchalance when retrieving the puck, the slowest possible zone entry (if even successful)...

- every skater is stuck in mud. No movement with bodies, nobody finding space or moving into a passing lane... It is ridiculously easy to defend.

- minimal puck movement. When they do move it, it's at a snail's pace... Aside from that, it's the attempting of the perfect Connolly pass or the "works one in ten times" feed... And stop with the ****ing sauce. Make a pass like a normal hockey player, tape to tape, along the ice.

That late 00's DET break-in is enough to drive you insane. I still don't understand why so many think it is effective to have three guys standing flat footed at the offensive blueline, then having a fourth guy who has a head of speed end up joining them stagnated on the line after he drops it to the last man, with the hopes that he can meander through the traffic set forth by his own guys and the PKers.

We go in and out of that break in, but I need to see it zero more times okay thanks.

----------------

Having a tough time with Pysyk in the sense that I see glimpses of excellence but a ton of settling for mediocrity. He's safe, doesn't really get beat, which you like from your blueline, obviously. But he can wheel, he can handle the puck, he can shoot, and he certainly can think the game. I'd like to see him be more consistently noticeable in a good way.

Well put. He's playing down to his assignment right now. Let's see him push for more important minutes rather than settling.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
G - Samson and Eichel were great. I've really liked the game Foligno has been playing lately. That line with him and Larsson and Gio is really nice. I thought Zemgus was all over the ice last night. It's a shame he has such awful line-mates right now.

B- Friggin Kane needs to stop shooting from everywhere. I'm all for the guy putting the puck on the net, but man, stop and take a look around dude, see where your teammates are.

U - Why is COR on the power play? Why would Bylsma reward a player like him with PP minutes over Girgs or Foligno? Makes no sense to me at all.

You know it's bad when in OT on the PP Jack and Risto just play catch with each other while Kane smacks the ice with his stick for a pass. Then they pass it to him and he rips it wide and off the boards giving Toronto a chance to clear. I mean Jack or Risto could have done that too, but there was a reason they were trying to spread out and wear down the Marlies, i mean Leafs, defenders in the dying minutes of the PP. No reason to give them a free clear and chance to change so you can not even hit the net.

Bylsma needs to hook Kane up to a shock collar and every time he takes a stupid shot that misses the net give him a little jolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad