Post-Game Talk (GBU): #67 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Dragons Teeth and Other Tank Obstacles

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Reinhart. So good.
- Johnson came up big late and in SO.
- Eichel getting the GTG.
- Kane getting the tap in.
- I loved Catenacci's effort early when everyone else was still getting over going to the Pickle Barrel.

The Bad -

- Not getting to see Bogo or Kane tune Kadri.
- Bogo-McCabe manning the tandem grenade launchers tonight. So many giveaways.
- COR on the first powerplay and all that TOI in the first period. Is there some contractual agreement that an O'Reilly has to lead the team in ice time? :biglaugh:
- Clearly it's anti-Dion Marcus, not anti-Leaf Marcus.

The Ugly -

- Seeing Soshnikov fall into the boards. Glad he's okay.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Samson's game has risen to a new level since the ROR injury.

Risto was good today, in spite of my earlier comments.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Samson is turning into a special player. There was one particular play late in the 3rd where he picked the defensemans pocket in the D zone and transitioned the puck the other way it just left me in awe

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
G
Samson
Chad
Jack
Kane
Ristolainen as the game went on got better.
Liked Deslauriers tonight

B
Bogo
McCabe
Just about everything in the first two periods.

U
Officiating

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Good:

Gorges not hitting Hyman into Youngs street at the end of the 3rd. I said it in the GDT, that was a really good play to hold up on that hit. Especially for a player like Josh who was probably licking his chops there.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Samson is really good. Seems to have picked up some of O'Reilly's puck stripping abilities. Combine that with a Vanek-like net front ability and possession and play making abilities, which are only getting better...

He's going to be special. You can just tell.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Good:

Gorges not hitting Hyman into Youngs street at the end of the 3rd. I said it in the GDT, that was a really good play to hold up on that hit. Especially for a player like Josh who was probably licking his chops there.

Oh man, that's the play they should show to compare every questionable Gudas or Rinaldo hit of how you should play. Gorges could have ended his season but gave the kid a pass, you could see it on his face after the play, he knew Gorges held up and he can't ever try that again.

Then Kadri wants to keep acting like an idiot, I wish Bogo or Kane would of gotten him to drop the mitts, would of completely changed his life, for the better.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
The Good -

- Reinhart. So good.
- I loved Catenacci's effort early when everyone else was still getting over going to the Pickle Barrel.

The Bad -

- COR on the first powerplay and all that TOI in the first period. Is there some contractual agreement that an O'Reilly has to lead the team in ice time? :biglaugh:

The Ugly -

Whats frustrating about McCabe is he does so well reading the play and using his body to get the puck, but he's so bad(some games) at making that first pass. way too hesitant tonight. as for Bogosian, well, the best thing about him tonight is that the caption read "Sac Bogosian" on a TV while I was at the gym. I thought that was fitting.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
While Bogo can be bad at times, and tonight wasnt his best showing, i absolutely LOVE having this guy on the team. He is 100% a team first player and i love how he goes right after Kadri first chance he gets after 43 took a run at Eichel.

Sure his cap hit is pretty big and he hasnt been as good defensively as we all hoped for, but he's a piece of the puzzle that we definitely need going forward. Size, grit and passion can play on my team any day.

I love Eichel and the electricity he brings when he has the puck, but man oh man is Reinhart a beauty. This guy will be a takeaway machine in a few years

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Samson is turning into a special player. There was one particular play late in the 3rd where he picked the defensemans pocket in the D zone and transitioned the puck the other way it just left me in awe

I've been listening to Leafs fans tell me Nylander will be better than Eichel. Lol. Reinhart is so far ahead of Nylander.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We're #23! We're #23!

I think a nice 15-0-0 run from here would put us in the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I've greatly enjoyed Eichel dealing with guys trying to be more physical with him the last couple games. I've said it before...but given the season was lost the RoR injury was a good thing for Eichel and Reinhart. They've had to put the whole thing on their shoulders...starting with that hard west coast trip where they learned more failing against LA and Anaheim than they could have asked for because they were faced with the best without a safety net. You can see how much they've grown on the ice and in the room (based on their interviews) in this run. It's their franchise and they're figuring out they are prepared and able to lead it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Went to the game tonight:

-Enough with the 1st shift goals against. Gorges not pinching caused that play.

- this team still needs a major talent infusion. Anytime Kane Eichel Reinhart weren't on the ice it was tough to see them generating a goal. I do like Larry's line though in their role. A healthy ROR and Ennis and signing Fasching would be big there is still a ways to go. The backend needs 2 quality dmen to put this team into a position to succeed.

-COR is a spitting image of Brad Richards. Not in playing the game mind you but physically on the ice he could be a stunt double out there.

-Nylander is extremely skilled but tonight showed why Reinhart went 2nd. Sam was so impressive in person. Shot blocks, defensive take aways, positioning in all zones not to mentions the 2apples and beauty shootout goal.

-if Kane ever figured out not to blindly throw passes away he would be a hell of a player.

- I have a feeling that Kadri won't enjoy his trip to Buffalo. Bogo and Kane would have killed him tonight if given a chance.

- Leafs have a good one in Shosnikov. Undrafted signing, impressive offensive talent.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Risto was good most of the game, but he had a few totally unnecessary giveaways trying to do too much with the puck. I also would have liked to see him stop the pass across on the 2-on-1 goal (forget who scored it). You pretty much have to hit the deck in that situation to prevent the pass and let the goalie take the shooter. I'm surprised RR was in so many good columns tonight.

I liked Cat tonight in the few minutes he played. I had given up on him, but I could see him being a good energy player. He's fast as hell and tenacious. That makes for a good forechecker and PK-er.

Kane had a good night, but he still turns over possession way too much.

Anyway, love beating the Leafs!

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- win, also can't really grade on a curve tonight
- fancy Muffin passes
- tremendous Muffin stick work
- hero Muffin shoot out trickery
- praise Bylsma for sticking with 9-15-23, paid off :walrus:

B- was difficult to tell which team was tanking :squint:
- anything working for Bylsma has a broken clock joke attached to it :D

nothing ugly

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
G - Eichel's 20th, Kane's forecheck, Reinhart's everything
B - Really didn't play well for a long time today
U - If you use the Muffin nickname you are on my ignore list now...just a heads up if you reply to a post I make. I'll never see it

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
The Good -

- Reinhart. So good.

The Bad -

The Ugly -

I gave up on the game a few minutes into the second and went to sleep, but up until that point I thought Catenacci was our best player. That may speak more about the rest than about him, but still. He was engaged and noticable, made the right plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad