Confirmed with Link: #66 and 2016 7th for G Eddie Lack

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
why do we say "ward had a bounce back season"?

it still was not good. just because he went from a .898 to a .910 doesn't mean we should be getting him locked up. that's like "horrendous to still below average". he was 33rd in the league in sv% behind others such as curtis mcelhinney, 22nd in gaa.
his even strength sv% was brutal this year. i think extending him right now for anything more than a back-up salary (say, less than $2M per) would be a terrible mistake. if he somehow is better than terrible this season, then you can maybe extend him then if you think it's not a fluke. this franchise can't afford another albatross contract.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
An extension with term for Lack wouldn’t necessarily block Nedeljkovic. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Canes have up to another 5 seasons to play around with before Nedeljkovic becomes eligible for waivers. Not that I think Ned would spend 4 years in Charlotte if he’s as good as advertised, but a realistic path to a starter job at the NHL level could be as follows…

2015-2016 – Flint starter
2016-2017 – Charlotte backup/starter
2017-2018 – Charlotte starter
2018-2019 – Charlotte starter
2019-2020 – Carolina backup
2020-2021 – Carolina starter

If Lack shows that he's the real deal in the early season and if he's willing to sign extension within reason, go for it.

It appears to me Nedeljkovic has 4 years left of waiver exemption, through 2019, unless he plays 11 or more NHL games (regular season + playoffs) in 2015-16 which would shorten it by one season.

While it's possible, it would be surprising if he were ready to be an NHL starter in the next 3 seasons and it would probably be more. Going through this past season's save % leaders, with age becoming a clear #1, with age first starting close to 1/2 the games in brackets if different:

Price 23 (20)
Dubnyk 28 (started 31 to 42 games from age 24-27)
Talbot not yet through age 27 (26)
Schneider 26
Crawford 26
C Anderson 28
Holtby 24 (23)
Rinne 26
Lundqvist 23
Rask 25 (22)

and a few selected others who have had success

Luongo 21
Fleury 21
Hiller 26
Quick 23
Mason 20
Elliott 24 (23)
Pavelec 23 (22)
Bishop 27
Miller 25

Nedeljkovic is 19. As can be seen, it is unusual even for the really good goalies to become a clear NHL starter before 23, though it happens occasionally.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Not only did Carolina come out on the short end of the goaltender exchange in which they sent Anton Khudobin to Anaheim while receiving Eddie Lack from Vancouver, the Candy Canes actually had to take on defenseman James Wisniewski (from the Ducks) in order to be allowed to get worse.
-journalism hero larry brooks

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Not only did Carolina come out on the short end of the goaltender exchange in which they sent Anton Khudobin to Anaheim while receiving Eddie Lack from Vancouver, the Candy Canes actually had to take on defenseman James Wisniewski (from the Ducks) in order to be allowed to get worse.

We took the man a lot of people called the best goalie on 8th best team in the NHL, and got rid of the backup on the 26th best team in the NHL. And shed salary.

And actually had to take on a top 4 D for that.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'd be excited too, Canucks fans are freakin' insane.

Nice place to live though.

expensive as **** though, but yes, I will admit, the city is gorgeous. Went to a playoff game a few years ago. Left Calgary in a blizzard and landed in an oasis.

Seriously. Waiting downtown for a train at a partially underground station and instead of 30 foot high walls of concrete up to the highway above me, it was all plants and flowers the whole way up.

The whole city is like that.

cometshockey

Oct 26, 2014

well your wrong on both counts. the canes needed a veteran d man to help along all of this young talent coming up in the next two seasons and to plug a gaping hole where sekera was. decent pickup from one of the best teams in the league. Lack is and upgrade over dobby. but realistically, the canes didn't give up much for him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He doesn't. He's clearly "trolling". He's built his career on it. Really, the NY Post should have their credentials revoked from all sporting events. Such a ****ing travesty of a media outlet.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Most everyone seems to think that Vancouver is the nicest city by far in Western Canada. Apparently the climate there is better than Calgary, Edmonton, and especially Winnipeg.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just want to reiterate what a good deal this was.

Look at what was paid for Lehner. Look at what was paid for Jones. Francis paid a fraction of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: