#65 Vitali Abramov

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#35 on our Draft list. Great pick by Columbus.

Vitali Abramov is a real boom or bust prospect. His skating ability and high end skill suggest a prospect that could develop into a top 6 player who could score a lot of points at the NHL level. However, if he doesn’t reach that high end potential, its unlikely that he can fall back into a lower line role as his size will always be a bit of an issue. Abramov’s game is comparable to Mats Zuccarello of the New York Rangers, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on talent.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/03/vitali-abramov-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-35/

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I love taking skilled players who need to get bigger later in the draft. Usually, that is why they weren't drafted early and they can really improve if they can get bigger.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
HUGE get. I had him in the high teens. Elite skill, elite rookie production and his coach said he's further along at the same stage as Claude Giroux. Getting him in the 3rd is awesome. "The team who's gonna pick him up in the second round are gonna have two first rounders." - Ben Groulx, Head Coach

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Serious question: do you really think Abramov has any place in the CBJ system? He seems to be the opposite of what the CBJ are. Strange pick to me.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Serious question: do you really think Abramov has any place in the CBJ system? He seems to be the opposite of what the CBJ are. Strange pick to me.

I see what you are saying, but he is the same size as Bjorkstrand. I think if you have the talent, they will make room for no matter the size.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I see what you are saying, but he is the same size as Bjorkstrand. I think if you have the talent, they will make room for no matter the size.

Big teams still need some skill. Skilled teams still need some size. You can't have every player be exactly the same.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Big teams still need some skill. Skilled teams still need some size. You can't have every player be exactly the same.

Good explanation. Thats why a guy like Prout has a job. He does somethings that Murray etc cant. They do somethings Prout cant.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Leaf fan here.

I wanted this guy at 31. Great steal, IMO. He has tons of skill and led his team in scoring by 20 pts. That says a lot to me. Known to be a great skater. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good explanation. Thats why a guy like Prout has a job. He does somethings that Murray etc cant. They do most things Prout cant.

Fixed it for you :D

I like this pick, low risk high reward. Everyone is saying potentially another bjorkstrand, but im gonna wait to see on that. Bjorkstrands compete level is why he is so good, hopefully this kid has a similar drive from within.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I'm super excited for Abramov. I wanted us to add a potential 1C, a highly skilled winger even if undersized, and a late round goalie. We did all of those things in this draft with the Abramov addition.

It'll take him 4 years or so (unless he gets an unexpected growth spurt), but he'll be worth the wait.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was kind of hoping for this guy with our 2nd (because I was convinced DeBrincat was going earlier and thought he'd be a good substitute) and was worrying when we passed on both of them. Getting him with the 3rd is quite nice.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So how does this guy fit into the culture of not drafting talent but drafting guys hard to play against?

Sounds like here they may have changed and went with upside.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So how does this guy fit into the culture of not drafting talent but drafting guys hard to play against?

Wennberg? Bjorkstrand? Milano? Those guys were drafted because they were hard to play against and not because of their talent or upside?

This pick shouldn't be that surprising lol

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I believe that was addressed earlier in the thread:

By the way, RD? For that post, you get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
hes a 3rd rounder, pretty good time to start looking at boom or bust guys

He is a boom guy on many other teams. I'm just not sure what CBJ are preaching is what fits his style of play.

And he should have been a 1st rounder.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He is a boom guy on many other teams. I'm just not sure what CBJ are preaching is what fits his style of play.

And he should have been a 1st rounder.

They kind of learned an all physical team cant get the job done. As pointed out its about finding the right mix. Jarmo hasnt really drafted a super physical guy in the 1st round yet, I guess Dubois would be closest but is obviously very skilled

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yes unfortunately its impossible to be both. And yes the team stated verbatim it was "not drafting talent."

I swear you can post better, JD. So much of today's posting reads like the comments section of a web site than a discussion forum.

leleleopold

Jun 12, 2007
Columbus
Yes unfortunately its impossible to be both. And yes the team stated verbatim it was "not drafting talent."

I swear you can post better, JD. So much of today's posting reads like the comments section of a web site than a discussion forum.

:handclap:

This post just resonates with me with all the kvetching. I wish there was a way to just like some posts on here like on Facebook.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad