Prospect Info: 5th Round - Anton Johannesson

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I just noticed he has almost exact numbers as Erik Brannstrom at the exact same age on the exact same team, two seasons prior.

Brannstrom PPG 1.21 (highest by 18 year old in Swe-U20, min. 15 games played, over last 10 seasons)

Johanesson PPG 1.20 (2nd highest by 18 year old in Swe-U20, min. 15 games played, over last 10 seasons)

For what it’s worth, his stats are great. A 5th rounder that could look like a 2nd rounder shortly if he can adapt his game to the men’s league.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just noticed he has almost exact numbers as Erik Brannstrom at the exact same age on the exact same team, two seasons prior.

Brannstrom PPG 1.21 (highest by 18 year old in Swe-U20, min. 15 games played, over last 10 seasons)

Johanesson PPG 1.20 (2nd highest by 18 year old in Swe-U20, min. 15 games played, over last 10 seasons)

For what it’s worth, his stats are great. A 5th rounder that could look like a 2nd rounder shortly if he can adapt his game to the men’s league.
My take is that the only real question at this point is health / injuries. If he can stay healthy, this could be an outstanding value pick.

Reactions: PhilJets

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
My take is that the only real question at this point is health / injuries. If he can stay healthy, this could be an outstanding value pick.

That’s the big question. And although I’m not sure of the exact situation I’ll assume his injuries are from getting tossed around. Some reports have him weighing as low as 154lbs. Brannstrom at the same age was over 18olbs at the same height IIRC. Regardless of whether this is related to his injury history it’s still a major obstacle. He’ll need to hit the gym hard to bulk up. Scouting reports say he has a weak lower body. Time to get those squats in AJ!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That’s the big question. And although I’m not sure of the exact situation I’ll assume his injuries are from getting tossed around. Some reports have him weighing as low as 154lbs. Brannstrom at the same age was over 18olbs at the same height IIRC. Regardless of whether this is related to his injury history it’s still a major obstacle. He’ll need to hit the gym hard to bulk up. Scouting reports say he has a weak lower body. Time to get those squats in AJ!
I doubt he's much smaller than Quinn Hughes or Perunovich at that age.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Is there any reporting around Johannesson's injury history -- what kind of injuries and when?

Is he hurt again this year?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Scouching report review - rated him as a solid 2nd rounder and thinks he's a boom- bust type.

I love players like this. These are the kinds of players that can break scouting models. People underestimate the time it takes for a player to learn how to make up those physical short comings. What I hate about scouts is how these guys don't get a shot because of their size yet big guys who suck most everywhere but size keeps getting shots. Oh well.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
EjwQQfFVoAAdQ0m

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Is there any reporting around Johannesson's injury history -- what kind of injuries and when?

Is he hurt again this year?

Chevy said that he is recovering from an injury and targeting a December return to play. Didn't provide details on the injury.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

May become a similar find to Chisholm, 2018 5th.
Our next version of a Duncan Keith, im-hopefull-on that. And A Jho may become our 2.0 version of Lars-Erik Sjoberg! ??

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Any updates on his health and return to playing with the team? Mid-December was mentioned as the target date for his return by Chevy and we are right around that timeline. Is he going to start playing in games in the near future?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Any updates on his health and return to playing with the team? Mid-December was mentioned as the target date for his return by Chevy and we are right around that timeline. Is he going to start playing in games in the near future?
Haven't found anything, could be good to go for all we know, SHL's U20 league that he plays in hasn't played any games in over a month now.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Have not heard literally anything about the progress of Johannesson. It seems he may have taken 2020-21 off due to injuries, and only played in 26 games for his team in the Swedish Junior team this season, with stats below that of his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad