Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Habs won't sign him. I can see another team grabbing him as a free agent when he's 25ish though. Needs to play 2 full seasons.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Was he supposed to predict the guy would have a bunch of long term injuries?

These types of posts arent worth the bathroom tissue I would rub them on.

Theres plenty of valid criticisms, but trying to put Juulsen and Ikonen on Timmins when they have just been destroyed my injuries is a really stupid take.
I'm not specifically blaming Ikonen's injuries on Timmins, just stating that it's another drafted F prospect by him that doesn't make the NHL. Injuries or not. It's obvious that Ikonen's injuries aren't Timmins fault but it's still 1 more F draft pick who won't make the NHL.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
And that's why statistics need context. Considering that guy a Timmins fail just show your subjectivity.
Yes I'm aware of the need for statistical contextuality (It's something I've repeatedly posted). When the sample size becomes large enough for the normal distribution (17 years worth of work) general trends can be observed. Simply put, over 17 years of work, Timmins success rate of F's transitioning to NHL players (let alone impact players) is abysmal.

Reactions: azcanuck

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes I'm aware of the need for statistical contextuality (It's something I've repeatedly posted). When the sample size becomes large enough to have a gaussian distribution, 17 years worth of work, general trends can be observed. Simply put, over 17 years of work, Timmins success rate of F's transitioning to NHL players (let alone impact players) is abysmal.

Sure, but Ikonen is irrelevant in that discussion as you cannot evaluate the quality of the pick due to injuries. For what it's worth, he actually looked really good the last time he played.

Reactions: Gravity

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
But it has nothing to do with Timmins.
Over 17 years worth of work, prospects do make it or they don't make it for various reasons: injuries, not good enough, other obligations etc.... Over such an extended time frame, we should see on average a similar number of players at the F position make the NHL and/or become impact players as with other teams with the same head amateur scout over that period. Yet we do not.

Every team drafts prospects that don't make it for whatever reason. Every team has an Ikonen type prospect. Yet, I would wager to say that we have only drafted 2 impact F in the entirety of Timmins tenure: Gallagher in the 5th round of 2010 & Pacioretty 1st round 2007. That's just an abysmal track record no matter how you slice it and I'd be shocked if there are teams are even comparably that bad.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Sure, but Ikonen is irrelevant in that discussion as you cannot evaluate the quality of the pick due to injuries. For what it's worth, he actually looked really good the last time he played.
I believe you and will take your word for it that Ikonen did look good when he played. I feel for the kid and hope he still somehow makes an NHL roster. However, I am not evaluating the quality of the pick alone. I am evaluating the entirety of the sample size of Timmins entire F drafting work whilst simply including Ikonen within the body of work as one data point.

Nonetheless, I do see how my original post of "Another Timmins F gem" could highly be misleading and suggestive of me evaluating the pick alone and blaming Timmins for the outcome so I apologize. That wasn't clear nor my intention.

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
They play games until April. Then they have the POs which Ilves is pretty much sure to be part in since they have a 18 points cushion.

Hopefully, he can play from February to April+ the POs and impress as he needs to be signed this summer. He would be a welcome addition to Laval if healthy since Verbeek, Pezzetta and Vejdemo could all be on their way out (plus guys like Lucchini, Dauphin and Baddock).
I was exaggerating. Anyway, the guy has played hardly any hockey in a long time. He'll be lucky to get into game shape by March.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I don't think I ever been so excited for a second-round pick as when I heard the Habs drafted Ikonen. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned, but I'm still rooting for him.

Same, really liked his game at the U18.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is Ikonen still playing? If not, can Montreal sign him to AHLC to get a look at him? Or, have they already given up on him, do you think?

He's still only 21. If they sign him mid-May, he'd only need a 2 year ELC.

Kid has a terrific one-timer. Don't really want to give up on him because of injuries.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Is Ikonen still playing? If not, can Montreal sign him to AHLC to get a look at him? Or, have they already given up on him, do you think?

Kid has a terrific one-timer. Don't really want to give up on him because of injuries.
They've got up to june 1st to figure out what they want to do with him, so we'll probably know pretty soon in any case. I can't see him getting his ELC at this point but if he's open to it he might be worth a one year AHL/ECHL deal like you said. He might not find that all that attractive though, it really comes down to how bad he wants to play in NA.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They've got up to june 1st to figure out what they want to do with him, so we'll probably know pretty soon in any case. I can't see him getting his ELC at this point but if he's open to it he might be worth a one year AHL/ECHL deal like you said. He might not find that all that attractive though, it really comes down to how bad he wants to play in NA.

I was thinking AHLC for the rest of this season. There's not a ton of games left, but he could get in the final 8. Probably not worth it though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he played 2 days ago, the regular season ends tomorrow, would have to check if his team is playing or not. Last I check they were in a spot for the play ins.

Laval has 10 games left in the season though only 3 games in April so they could bring him over in May if his season was done but I would be surprised if they did.

I don't think they sign him, but we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad