Player Discussion 58 defensemen

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I heard a very damning stat today that caught me off guard even as an Oiler fan.

In the past decade since the cup run the oilers have gone through an amazing 58 defensemen.

That's a turn over of 5+ players every year. I always knew our defense was horrible after CFP left but wow that's almost unfathomable.

What are you guys thoughts on why we can never seem to find defense?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Without using the internet for help, name the worst of those 58 that comes to mind.

Mine is Colton Teubert. I'm sure some of you can do much better. :)

Edit: I see Dnicks already has lol

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I always knew our defense was horrible after CFP left but wow that's almost unfathomable.

To be fair, our defense was pretty horribad before the departure of Corey ****ing Potter.

I'd be interested to see what the league average would be for defenseman dressed in a ten year span. I'd actually wager it'd be closer to fifty than, say, the thirty five I'd spit ball as a decent estimate.

A team carrying seven defenseman can reasonably assume at least three of them will get injured or suspended or whatever over the course of a season. So it's probably safe to assume an average team ends up deploying around a dozen defensemen a year, give or take. At that number, over the course of a decade there would be 120 defense spots to fill. Given this model, you'd still need a fifty percent turnover rate each and every season to hit the sixty mark the Oilers are flirting with.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
To be fair, our defense was pretty horribad before the departure of Corey ****ing Potter.

I'd be interested to see what the league average would be for defenseman dressed in a ten year span. I'd actually wager it'd be closer to fifty than, say, the thirty five I'd spit ball as a decent estimate.

A team carrying seven defenseman can reasonably assume at least three of them will get injured or suspended or whatever over the course of a season. So it's probably safe to assume an average team ends up deploying around a dozen defensemen a year, give or take. At that number, over the course of a decade there would be 120 defense spots to fill. Given this model, you'd still need a fifty percent turnover rate each and every season to hit the sixty mark the Oilers are flirting with.

Wrong CFP. But your point is valid none the less.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I just went through and calculated it out and since the 04/05 lockout we have had 64 defencemen play at least 1 game for the Oilers to date. The 6 who did not return to the team following our cup run being Pronger, Cross, Semenov, Spacek, D. Smith, and Ulanov. But here is the list of the Oilers rotating door.

Adam Clendening | Corey Potter | Sheldon Souray
Eric Gryba | Bryan Rodney | Sebastien Bisaillon
Griffin Reinhart | Nick Schultz | Tom Gilbert
Andrej Sekera | Andy Sutton | Jan Hejda
Keith Aulie | Colten Teubert | Ladislav Smid
Brandon Davidson | Shawn Belle | Daniel Tjarnqvist
Mark Fayne | Kurtis Foster | Bryan Young
David Musil | Richard Petiot | Matt Greene
Nikita Nikitin | Jeff Petry | Chris Pronger
Darnell Nurse | Jim Vandermeer | Mathieu Roy
Jordan Oesterle | Dean Arsene | Dan Smith
Anton Belov | Aaron Johnson | Jaroslav Spacek
Taylor Fedun | Johan Motin | Danny Syvret
Andrew Ference | Alex Plante | Dick Tarnstrom
Mark Fraser | Ryan Whitney | Marc-Andre Bergeron
Brad Hunt | Taylor Chorney | Cory Cross
Oscar Klefbom | Jason Strudwick | Alexei Semenov
Philip Larsen | Lubomir Visnovsky | Steve Staios
Martin Marincin | Denis Grebeshkov | Igor Ulanov
Mark Fistric | Theo Peckham | Jason Smith
Justin Schultz | Joni Pitkanen |
Cam Barker | Allan Rourke |

This does not include the times we used a player like Steve MacIntyre on defense.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Adam Clendening Corey Potter Bryan Rodney Sebastien Bisaillon
Keith Aulie Colten Teubert Shawn Belle Daniel Tjarnqvist
Bryan Young David Musil Richard Petiot Mathieu Roy
Jordan Oesterle Dean Arsene Dan Smith Anton Belov
Aaron Johnson Taylor Fedun Johan Motin Danny Syvret
Andrew Ference Alex Plante Dick Tarnstrom Mark Fraser
Marc-Andre Bergeron Brad Hunt Taylor Chorney Jason Strudwick
Alexei Semenov Philip Larsen Martin Marincin Denis Grebeshkov
Igor Ulanov Mark Fistric Theo Peckham Justin Schultz
Cam Barker Allan Rourke

And that's how many d-men which should have reported directly to the AHL or ECHL when they came here or a year after coming here. (38)

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Adam Clendening Corey Potter Bryan Rodney Sebastien Bisaillon
Keith Aulie Colten Teubert Shawn Belle Daniel Tjarnqvist
Bryan Young David Musil Richard Petiot Mathieu Roy
Jordan Oesterle Dean Arsene Dan Smith Anton Belov
Aaron Johnson Taylor Fedun Johan Motin Danny Syvret
Andrew Ference Alex Plante Dick Tarnstrom Mark Fraser
Marc-Andre Bergeron Brad Hunt Taylor Chorney Jason Strudwick
Alexei Semenov Philip Larsen Martin Marincin Denis Grebeshkov
Igor Ulanov Mark Fistric Theo Peckham Justin Schultz
Cam Barker Allan Rourke

And that's how many d-men which should have reported directly to the AHL or ECHL when they came here or a year after coming here. (38)

I know its popular to continuously rag on guys given the showings we've seen over the last 10years, but :shakehead at some of the names you included here.

Belov - a victim/casualty of Eakins, guy had some decent tools, could throw a hit, had a decent shot, but Eakins had no clue how to use this guy

Fedun - had an extremely unfortunate injury in his first training camp here. Kid could fly and showed some ability to play. If he didn't hurt his leg, who knows what could've happened. Yes he could have fizzled out after 2 weeks, but given what happened, he doesn't deserve to get ragged on, more praise for atleast making some sort of come back

Semenov - was an ok bottom pairing who brought some sandpaper to the blueline, and went on to play a few more years in the NHL after being, and could've stayed in NA longer if he wanted to.

Johnson - wasn't here for very long, and wasn't terrible in his short stint here

ULANOV - one of these is not like the other ones. This guy was a beast and was probably the toughest Russian to ever play in the NHL. If the Oilers of today played with half of the heart that Ulanov did, we'd be in the playoff hunt right now.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
What I'm wondering is how many Oilers d-men never played a game for another team after leaving.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
ULANOV - one of these is not like the other ones. This guy was a beast and was probably the toughest Russian to ever play in the NHL. If the Oilers of today played with half of the heart that Ulanov did said:
How could you not love Ulanov. He would play through so much pain. Would never give up at all. Broken collarbone ....pffft that wouldn't have stopped him ;) lol

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
What I'm wondering is how many Oilers d-men never played a game for another team after leaving.

Not including those still in the Oilers system, the following have yet to return to the NHL level.

Jordan Oesterle | Dean Arsene | Dan Smith Anton Belov | Aaron Johnson | Jaroslav Spacek

18 players never saw the NHL after their stint (or second stint in a few cases) with the Oilers. Keep in mind 3 of those players retired as an Oiler (Strudwick, Ulanov, and Sutton).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Biggest disappointment on that list for me is Theo Peckman (yes I know).

In his first 20 games I thought we had the next Gator/Greene for our squad. Such a solid hitter and seemed like a good team guy. Too bad he and Jones seemed to get their contracts and just... settle... that's the best way I'd put it.

The next season he showed up out of shape and that was pretty much the end of him. A real waste of talent and size.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Biggest disappointment on that list for me is Theo Peckman (yes I know).

In his first 20 games I thought we had the next Gator/Greene for our squad. Such a solid hitter and seemed like a good team guy. Too bad he and Jones seemed to get their contracts and just... settle... that's the best way I'd put it.

The next season he showed up out of shape and that was pretty much the end of him. A real waste of talent and size.

Same here. He was looking like a lock for the bottom pairing long term... Then he went full Byfuglien

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Teddy Peckman was a throwback.

The rite of passage of beating the crap out of Clayton Stoner at 2:00. Seems like every Oilers fighter has to do it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Wrong CFP. But your point is valid none the less.

Corey Potter was the first name that came to mind. Who played a huge 9 games in the league after leaving the Oilers.

What a terrible power play QB that guy was. Corey Potter power play my butt.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Not including those still in the Oilers system, the following have yet to return to the NHL level.

Jordan Oesterle | Dean Arsene | Dan Smith Anton Belov | Aaron Johnson | Jaroslav Spacek

18 players never saw the NHL after their stint (or second stint in a few cases) with the Oilers. Keep in mind 3 of those players retired as an Oiler (Strudwick, Ulanov, and Sutton).

Dean Arsene played a few games with the jackets didn't he ?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Teddy Peckman was a throwback.

The rite of passage of beating the crap out of Clayton Stoner at 2:00. Seems like every Oilers fighter has to do it.

Wow that takes me back in time. It really was to bad how his career went. He could have been a top 4 defenseman if he wanted to be.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Dean Arsene played a few games with the jackets didn't he ?

Nope, Mathieu Roy and Dick Tarnstrom did, Arsene floated around the minors for a few more season then retired.

As for Peckham I Think I should be the most disappointed here, I probably spent a couple hundred bucks trying to get all of his hockey cards. Still have several of the printing plates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad