GDT: #55 Sharks @ Tampa Bay, 4:30PM Pacific, CSN-CA, SUN, KFOX 98.5

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Good game, but the 3rd D pairing is still suspect. Demelo plays such a safe game. While he doesn't make the sorts of mistakes that lead to goals, he also doesn't make the break out plays that lead to goals. He is the ~7th D on a SCF team.

DeMelo was actually making some plays when Dillon was on the pair. With him injured, I would rather DeMelo make the safe plays.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Huge contrast compared to the last time we played the bolts. I was at that game and we were outclassed from the drop of the puck. Team is looking deep for sure. RE: some big acquisition at the deadline, I'm not sure who I'd want out there aside from a backup tender.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I just added it up myself... Wow. That's pretty damn impressive. It's funny how the Ducks are getting all this attention for their great record lately and how they're legit contenders and all that jazz... when we've been doing the same thing. I think Anaheim 's a little better than us, but not enough that they should be getting all the attention when no one notices us.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Great game, glad to see the team actually playing for the full 60 (re: some of last season's games) and sticking with the SYS-tem.

I don't want to write anything further that's nice about them for fear of jinxing them....

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Holy ****, really?

Yep, The coach and Pav's have said the Jets game was the turning point. We went on to lose to the Wings 2-1, which they felt they played well, and since that loss we've only had 2 reg losses.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet and unless I've made some errors;

10 Wins - 1 OTW - 1 SOW - 1 OTL - 2 SOL - 2 Losses

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I just added it up myself... Wow. That's pretty damn impressive. It's funny how the Ducks are getting all this attention for their great record lately and how they're legit contenders and all that jazz... when we've been doing the same thing. I think Anaheim 's a little better than us, but not enough that they should be getting all the attention when no one notices us.

Problem is that the Ducks went 13-3-1 in that time too. ****ing Dicks.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I just finished watching the game and just wanted to add a LOL to Wards penalty at the end of the 3rd. He was like. **** it... I'm already getting a penalty let's make it worth it and keep holding the stick.

I think he was told to go out there and draw something. SJ kept getting hemmed into their zone with icing calls. Being down a man sucks, but it will at least get you some fresh skaters and stop the icings every time they cleared the puck.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
While it sucks to see the Ducks doing well, it is nice to see that California hockey is remaining dominant.

Even better to see all the Canadian teams outside of a playoff spot :sarcasm:

I'm not too surprised to see the Ducks bounce back. Everyone picked them to win the division again and they still have a strong team.

Right now, winning the division is possible and should be the goal. A chance to play one of Nashville, Colorado or Minnesota is looking way more enticing than playing Anaheim or Los Angeles. While those 2/3 matchups will be fantastic for fans, a 1p seed/wild card matchup will be ever-so-slightly better.

Welp, here we go :popcorn:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Btw tampas radio guys are basically an hfposter and an old season ticket holder they pulled from the stands. Absolutely the worst broadcast I've ever heard.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Making major trades for a playoff run would be foolish for DW. Sharks are looking to be a 1st round playoff position without home ice. They will likely face either the Ducks or the Kings in that round, and I believe it will likely be the Kings.

Of the two, I would prefer a matchup with the Kings, not just because the Sharks are up 1 game in the seasonal matchup, but because they have extra incentive due to the last time these teams met.

In that scenario, the Ducks would likely draw the Avs and which they should eliminate. That would mean a Ducks match-up in the 2nd round, should the Sharks advance from the 1st.

This is the point where there the teams faced are too difficult and unlikely for the Sharks to advance any further. If the Sharks do advance deep in the playoffs, it will be because Jones has found his elite game, and stays uninjured. That might be too much for this young goalie at this point. Thus, all roads deep into the playoffs goes through Jones. He would to have the switch to turn it on like Quick does when it counts.

I do believe that Jones will be one of the league's best goaltenders, but not now. He needs some more experience.

If DW makes major trades, all that will happen is the Sharks would advance one more round before exit at the expense of rebuilding and stocking depth. Thus, this cycle of selling the future for the immediate but not winning either final or conference cups will continue.

DW has to get off this merry-go-around. He was forced to pay a big price for Jones because the Sharks scouting and coaching system failed at one of the most important positions... the goal tender. But he only has one goal tender, and if Jones does down on injury, Sharks become a contender for last place.

That's how thin the thread of balance is for this organization.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Making major trades for a playoff run would be foolish for DW. Sharks are looking to be a 1st round playoff position without home ice. They will likely face either the Ducks or the Kings in that round, and I believe it will likely be the Kings.

Of the two, I would prefer a matchup with the Kings, not just because the Sharks are up 1 game in the seasonal matchup, but because they have extra incentive due to the last time these teams met.

In that scenario, the Ducks would likely draw the Avs and which they should eliminate. That would mean a Ducks match-up in the 2nd round, should the Sharks advance from the 1st.

This is the point where there the teams faced are too difficult and unlikely for the Sharks to advance any further. If the Sharks do advance deep in the playoffs, it will be because Jones has found his elite game, and stays uninjured. That might be too much for this young goalie at this point. Thus, all roads deep into the playoffs goes through Jones. He would to have the switch to turn it on like Quick does when it counts.

I do believe that Jones will be one of the league's best goaltenders, but not now. He needs some more experience.

If DW makes major trades, all that will happen is the Sharks would advance one more round before exit at the expense of rebuilding and stocking depth. Thus, this cycle of selling the future for the immediate but not winning either final or conference cups will continue.

DW has to get off this merry-go-around. He was forced to pay a big price for Jones because the Sharks scouting and coaching system failed at one of the most important positions... the goal tender. But he only has one goal tender, and if Jones does down on injury, Sharks become a contender for last place.

That's how thin the thread of balance is for this organization.

I agree with all of that, except that Wilson is going to feel like he needs to reward the players for their hard work and make a show of support. At the very least that is going to be a backup goalie. If he REALLY thinks this team is cup worthy, he may copy recent trends and bring in a major player like LA did with Richards, Carter, Gaborik, etc.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's still way too early to call playoff matchups between the Sharks and either the Ducks or Kings. With the deadline and injuries, we won't know what it will like until we're just about there. This is especially true with the Kings now that Gaborik is out and they hope to get him back for the playoffs. The three teams right now are more or less even with probably the Kings the last of the three just with Gaborik injured.

There's no sense in shortchanging this team right now with regards to their playoff chances. If they can pull off a trade for a d-man without paying too much, they'll be in a good spot roster-wise as long as they remain healthy. Often times, that's what it comes down to.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Even better to see all the Canadian teams outside of a playoff spot :sarcasm:

I'm not too surprised to see the Ducks bounce back. Everyone picked them to win the division again and they still have a strong team.

Right now, winning the division is possible and should be the goal. A chance to play one of Nashville, Colorado or Minnesota is looking way more enticing than playing Anaheim or Los Angeles. While those 2/3 matchups will be fantastic for fans, a 1p seed/wild card matchup will be ever-so-slightly better.

Welp, here we go :popcorn:

I'm with you on this one. Nashville is still a good team but they are worse than LA and Anaheim and Rinne is horrible.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Man, if Jumbo was fully healthy all season he'd be a top-5 scorer in the league right now. Dude is playing at such an elite level. Sometimes he effortlessly puts up some points but this streak he's on is beyond effortless. It's some of the best hockey I've seen him play in quite some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad