Prospect Info: #51OA - Hurricanes select RW Ville Koivunen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Raty has been dominating his age group for his entire life. The Canes are more interested in who will be the better NHLer at 22 than international junior player at 16-18.

Given the Canes connections to Karpat I'm excited when they are excited. And given that the Canes passed twice on Raty and Koivunen to take Morrow and Heimosalmi they probably didn't see either forward as a can't-miss prospect.

I would be really interested to see the Canes board. It wouldn't surprise me if Morrow was #10-15 and both Heimosalmi and Koivunen were in their top-30.
I believe the Canes are quite high on Koivunen. However, it seemed important to the team to get the best defenders they could at the outset. Likely their draft board had a number of equivalent forwards. I think they still feel quite lucky to get Koivunen.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
9A1980F6-0BF1-48B3-802F-507FC2153471.jpeg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'll just copypaste this from the Heimosalmi thread. They don't have imagination, why should I?

The signing bonus makes $92.5k per season, which means total salary for all seasons must be the full $925k, which means he got $82,500 Games Played bonus (10+ games) for 21/22 and 22/23 and $57,500 for 23/24.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So yeah, if this kid is getting signed already then he's got some intrigue/promise that I look forward too.

Keep nailing these picks and our team will be competitive for years and years.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Both Heimosalmi and Koivunen will likely slide for two seasons in Finland before they come to NA to start their ELCs. Good to get them locked in now, though.
Both have European Assignment clause in their contract for 21/22 and 22/23 (the potential slide years). If they are Loaned to AHL they can choose to go to Europe instead.

Though, both (less surprisingly) were signed to 3 year SML contracts this spring, and per the Transfer Agreement their European team can also demand them returned if they don't make it to the NHL roster and will slide the season.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
SM LEAGUE
A new star is on fire in Oulu - Kärppien Ville Koivunen, 18, has a great mentor next to him: “See you whenever I'm free”
Super promise Ville Koivunen is striking hard through the Fly attack.
Ville Koivunen, 18, was one of the best in Kärppi, when the Oulu team lost to HPK after extra time.
Ville Koivunen, 18, was one of the best in Kärppi, when the Oulu team lost to HPK after extra time. PHOTO: TIMO HEIKKALA / MAGAZINE IMAGE

IS
22:01
OULU

ADVERTISEMENTS (TEXT CONTINUED BELOW)

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
Flies – HPK 1-2 and

The attack line of OULU FLATS is impregnated with quality, which can be found in several different variations. Ville Koivunen, an 18-year-old newcomer, has not bowed to names on his jerseys, but forced himself into the result role.

The opening match of the league on Saturday already brought a name to the scorer column, but even more mind-boggling has been Koivunen's readiness to play in the tough adult series.

- With my own strengths, I have boldly left to play. I am at my best with the puck and I have tried to do it, Koivunen said after Wednesday's HPK loss.

KOIVUNEN sparkled in the U18 last spring and became the leading player of the little lions. At the same time, more than a few NHL talent scouts turned their heads. The attacker popped into the public consciousness at the summer booking ceremony.

The flies have produced real youth quality in recent years, and teammates Aatu Räty and Samu Tuomaala went to the same booking ceremony. The latter of them had already jumped to North America this season.

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
Koivunen signed the income fund offered by Carolina, but this big goal for the season is to consolidate
place in the Finnish Championship. There are good demands for that.

- The demand for the game has grown quite a lot. The opponent vaccinates even small mistakes, and on the other hand, it is more difficult to build goals.
Ville Koivunen will air the goal at the April World Championships for under-18s.
Ville Koivunen will air the goal at the April World Championships for under-18s. IMAGE: CHRIS TANOUYE / IMAGES ON ICE

KOIVUNEN was also one of the best in Kärppi to receive HPK, but like the whole team, the newcomer on Wednesday was a bit left in the barrel.

- I wanted it for the first game, but now the second installment was especially bad, Koivunen summed up.

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
A young person who measures his level in the SM League cannot be under the supervising eye of a better mentor. In the same chain and superiority, lessons are learned by puck master Juhamatti Aaltonen. The similarities are easy to find with company profiles so similar.

- “Instructions” you see whenever I am free. It conjures up places to get from scratch. My job is just to play myself out, so I wonder if I will start more goals in the future.

In addition to the bright lights, Koivunen's main event is the U20 World Championships in Edmonton. If Koivunen is still in the same proactive way as in the Finnish Championships, he is now a key player in the Young Lions.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
SM LEAGUE
A new star is on fire in Oulu - Kärppien Ville Koivunen, 18, has a great mentor next to him: “See you whenever I'm free”
Ville Koivunen, 18, was one of the best in Kärppi, when the Oulu team lost to HPK after extra time.
Ville Koivunen, 18, was one of the best in Kärppi, when the Oulu team lost to HPK after extra time. PHOTO: TIMO HEIKKALA / MAGAZINE IMAGE

IS
OULU

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
Flies – HPK 1-2 and

The attack line of OULU FLATS is impregnated with quality, which can be found in several different variations. Ville Koivunen, an 18-year-old newcomer, has not bowed to names on his jerseys, but forced himself into the result role.

The opening match of the league on Saturday already brought a name to the scorer column, but even more mind-boggling has been Koivunen's readiness to play in the tough adult series.

- With my own strengths, I have boldly left to play. I am at my best with the puck and I have tried to do it, Koivunen said after Wednesday's HPK loss.

KOIVUNEN sparkled in the U18 last spring and became the leading player of the little lions. At the same time, more than a few NHL talent scouts turned their heads. The attacker popped into the public consciousness at the summer booking ceremony.

The flies have produced real youth quality in recent years, and teammates Aatu Räty and Samu Tuomaala went to the same booking ceremony. The latter of them had already jumped to North America this season.

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
Koivunen signed the income fund offered by Carolina, but this big goal for the season is to consolidate

- The demand for the game has grown quite a lot. The opponent vaccinates even small mistakes, and on the other hand, it is more difficult to build goals.
Ville Koivunen will air the goal at the April World Championships for under-18s.
Ville Koivunen will air the goal at the April World Championships for under-18s. IMAGE: CHRIS TANOUYE / IMAGES ON ICE

KOIVUNEN was also one of the best in Kärppi to receive HPK, but like the whole team, the newcomer on Wednesday was a bit left in the barrel.

- I wanted it for the first game, but now the second installment was especially bad, Koivunen summed up.

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
A young person who measures his level in the SM League cannot be under the supervising eye of a better mentor. In the same chain and superiority, lessons are learned by puck master Juhamatti Aaltonen. The similarities are easy to find with company profiles so similar.

- “Instructions” you see whenever I am free. It conjures up places to get from scratch. My job is just to play myself out, so I wonder if I will start more goals in the future.

In addition to the bright lights, Koivunen's main event is the U20 World Championships in Edmonton. If Koivunen is still in the same proactive way as in the Finnish Championships, he is now a key player in the Young Lions.
Who is the mentor?

Reactions: Unsustainable

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
SM LEAGUE

IS
OULU

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS
Flies – HPK 1-2 and

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS

ADVERTISEMENT ENDS

“The attack line of OULU FLATS is impregnated with quality

A Dougie replacement for sure

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm certainly thankful others are putting themselves on the line and still reporting.

Reactions: DaveG

Mara

May 10, 2011
This is aging pretty well.

Guy was projected to play the season in U20 -> had a strong pre-season with the main club, was given an opportunity to play in the regular season and refused to give up his spot. Played in 17 out of 18 games so far, 6+4 with 14:33 average play time. Not bad for an 18 year old, not bad at all. Very, very hungry on the offense, but needs to improve his defensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad