Prospect Info: #51OA - Hurricanes select RW Ville Koivunen

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finland has produced a number of strong prospects for this year’s NHL Draft. Playing in the Karpat system, versatile winger Ville Koivunen continues that run. He played in the Finnish Under-20 league this past season and was a dominant offensive force. Koivunen had 23 goals and 26 assists for 49 points in 38 games in the COVID interrupted season. He was named the league’s Rookie of the Year as well as taking a spot on the Second All-Star Team. He also picked up four assists in five playoff games. Koivunen impressed while playing for Finland at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He put up four goals and six assists for 10 points in seven tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #69: Ville Koivunen Scouting Report

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
5'11 winger
From Karpat? In the second round?

v5ap1Sa.jpg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I understand why most comparisons are to other Finns, but I think if Koivunen makes it he will be similar to Josh Bailey in both production and overall consistent play.

Koivunen isn't likely to score more than 15-18 goals, but will set up 2-3 times that.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I understand why most comparisons are to other Finns, but I think if Koivunen makes it he will be similar to Josh Bailey in both production and overall consistent play.

Koivunen isn't likely score more than 15-18 goals, but will set up 2-3 times that.
A pass-first Finn is exactly what we need.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Raty has been dominating his age group for his entire life. The Canes are more interested in who will be the better NHLer at 22 than international junior player at 16-18.

Given the Canes connections to Karpat I'm excited when they are excited. And given that the Canes passed twice on Raty and Koivunen to take Morrow and Heimosalmi they probably didn't see either forward as a can't-miss prospect.

I would be really interested to see the Canes board. It wouldn't surprise me if Morrow was #10-15 and both Heimosalmi and Koivunen were in their top-30.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad