.500 - 20 games in, 9-9-2

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Speaking of "Brumi", he's tearing up the KHL with a whopping 6 goals in 25 games!

And he's scoring at just under a PPG pace.

Purposely leaving out the whole story to make the hate sound better. The funny thing is for all intents amd purposes Scheifele isn't playing all that better, if at all, than Burmi at the same age but he doesn't get nearly as much crap.

For the record, I'm not a Burmi lover or a Scheif hater. But man do people really cling to first impressions :laugh:

Ryan Giggs

There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest
Sep 14, 2011
Bell MTS Place
No I don't think so. You have to consider that 3 points were distributed in a number of those games. Yes, you can only get two points for a game, but getting clean wins assures that the other team doesn't get a point (only matters in inter-conference games). You need to look at the total points distributed. :p:

Really??

Until the Jets can get all three points in a game (which we all know they can not) then the Jets have gained 20 of the 40 possible points they could have... Simple.

Now if you want to argue that a regulation win should be worth 3 pts then I would listen to that argument.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He's also tied for 6th in the league with 22 points. :)

Yup, 5 more points than team-mate and AHL has been little Timmy, but the KHL is impressive 5 guys who could still play in the NHL, a bunch of guys too old to play in either the NHL or AHL and whole lot more not quite good enough for the AHL!:handclap:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
And he's scoring at just under a PPG pace.

Purposely leaving out the whole story to make the hate sound better. The funny thing is for all intents amd purposes Scheifele isn't playing all that better, if at all, than Burmi at the same age but he doesn't get nearly as much crap.

For the record, I'm not a Burmi lover or a Scheif hater. But man do people really cling to first impressions :laugh:

But it seems to me that Scheifele is going all out to fit his play into the Jets' scheme of things, while Burmistrov didn't. So the potential for the future seems different in the two cases. That's why I like one more than the other, although it was hard not to like Burmi in a personal sense.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
But it seems to me that Scheifele is going all out to fit his play into the Jets' scheme of things, while Burmistrov didn't. So the potential for the future seems different in the two cases. That's why I like one more than the other, although it was hard not to like Burmi in a personal sense.

While I don't mind Scheif on the 3rd line atm to "learn the ropes", we didn't draft him to be a shut down 3rd line center.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

And I appreciate that, I like how he looks like he'll be a pretty decent 2nd liner center in the future, but I just really don't like how people kick Burmi when he's down and just nag on about how he left for the KHL.

The truth is that Burmi was a pretty darn good defensively responsible 3rd liner for his age, and I hope that he reconsiders Winnipeg because having more center depth is never a bad thing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yup, 5 more points than team-mate and AHL has been little Timmy, but the KHL is impressive 5 guys who could still play in the NHL, a bunch of guys too old to play in either the NHL or AHL and whole lot more not quite good enough for the AHL!:handclap:

Meh, he's 6th in scoring in the 2nd best league in the world. A lot of has beens in the KHL are simply too small to handle the physicality in the NHL, not unskilled players.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
While I don't mind Scheif on the 3rd line atm to "learn the ropes", we didn't draft him to be a shut down 3rd line center.

I'm still operating under the impression that he will be a 2nd line center, his development is just taking a little longer. I always viewed Olli as the stopgap center during Scheif's development and thankfully this year he's playing at an effective level, something he did not do last year. (which I suspect is your thinking too)

I'd still like to have Burmi here as I think he'd play a great role as a 3rd line shut down center. I don't think he'll ever be a 70 point guy, but if his primary role is defensive with an expectation of 30-50 points playing with legit linemates then I'd be pretty happy with that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Meh, he's 6th in scoring in the 2nd best league in the world. A lot of has beens in the KHL are simply too small to handle the physicality in the NHL, not unskilled players.

It's not like Timmy's (or other comparable guys in the KHL) problem was scoring points in the NHL...

No it was everything else...

Those other things were not Burmi's issue.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
I think 9-9-2 is deceiving.. I still consider us 3 games below .500 because shootout wins do not count in the standings should there be a playoff tiebreaker. Having said that, I think our team has been playing much better and hope we can continue to trend upwards.

I agree we are 9-11. 9 WINS in 20 games. Stop dreaming.:p:

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
So we're at .500 20 games into the season, almost the quarter mark. Is this what you expected? We're also riding a hot streak with some road wins.

Thoughts? Should we expect another .500 or 1/2/3 games above .500 finish? If so, Is this acceptable?

Expected them to be battling for 8th, and we are.

I find this completely acceptable. Especially in this last week where they have shown streaks of Jets hockey.

I would like to remind some that this team might not even win a Stanley Cup in the next 30-40 years, never mind expecting a contender slash playoff team after Three years/150 games.

GoJetsGo

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
No I don't think so. You have to consider that 3 points were distributed in a number of those games. Yes, you can only get two points for a game, but getting clean wins assures that the other team doesn't get a point (only matters in inter-conference games). You need to look at the total points distributed. :p:

No, you don't. You're trying to merge the idea of the ROW tiebreaker with point percentages, which doesn't really work. You can't consider the loser point of an OT win as a lost point because there is no scenario in which we could have earned that point. Using your logic, Chicago was not at 1.000 last year before their loss to Colorado - because they didn't end every game in regulation. That's not how wins work.

The maximum amount of points you can earn per game is 2, not 3. If you are going to be using points percentage, which is the percentage of potential points that you earned, your denominator has to be 2 points per game because that is the potential amount of points each game makes available to you.

You can try to put a negative spin on it if you want, but the math is incredibly straightforward. 20 points in 20 games is an even .500. If we were up against another .500 team, we would probably lose the ROW tiebreaker, yes, but that has zero relevance to our P%.

Let's get back to discussing what we think of the Jets being at .500 twenty games into the season, because that is the reality of the situation.

Personally, I think it's an okay start. I can't wait to get back to playing some more eastern teams. It might be my fan-bias speaking, but I feel like we've been shaking off the rust earlier on in the season and that our depth will allow us to succeed where we've failed in previous years - we'll have the secondary scoring and players like Bogo and Buff warming up as those who started off red-hot being to cool down. I know better than to expect such an ideal situation from the Jets, but I honestly think we're better than our record right now... which probably means its time for a losing streak.

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Not a bad first quarter....what I expected really. The West is just too strong for us to make the playoffs. The young players are growing and that's a good thing. Chevy's next big challenge will be the trade deadline...what can he add to the Trouba/Schief/Kane/Bogo group? I think its the 20 to 24 year olds that will cary the jets future..

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Burmi talk in this thread is spam. Please stop.

If you eliminate the 2 stinkers against Chicago the Jets have actually been pretty impressive the past dozen or so games.

I am starting to feel a bit better about the team, and though I hate some of his decisions, I think Noel has bought himself more time.

Of course, now that they are starting to get me excited again, it's time to look like **** and lose 5 in a row. :laugh:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
We started slower than I expected and we're fighting an uphill battle. Scheifele is in the process of breaking out and Trouba will be back any game now.

Playoffs are still possible.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
Scheif is just better than Burmi, he is two years younger would you agree that looking at their days in the OHL is a good way to compare them? they both played for the colts or how they both train?

Scheif is bigger that alone will help him succeed and his work ethic is relentless I truly believe he wants this and he wants to succeed with Winnipeg. Burmi couldn't get along with Noel and wanted out.

Bad coach or good coach.. you have to respect the coach and respect the gm for having him there and go out and do your job.

if we HAD to lose either Scheif or Burmi and couldn't keep them both im sure 99% would keep Scheif thus = he is better than burmi :naughty:

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Scheif is just better than Burmi, he is two years younger would you agree that looking at their days in the OHL is a good way to compare them? they both played for the colts or how they both train?

Scheif is bigger that alone will help him succeed and his work ethic is relentless I truly believe he wants this and he wants to succeed with Winnipeg. Burmi couldn't get along with Noel and wanted out.

Bad coach or good coach.. you have to respect the coach and respect the gm for having him there and go out and do your job.

if we HAD to lose either Scheif or Burmi and couldn't keep them both im sure 99% would keep Scheif thus = he is better than burmi :naughty:

99% sure of an opinion is not equivalent to fact. And I would agree that looking at their NHL rookie seasons is a good way to compare them.​

Burmi talk in this thread is spam. Please stop.

Just make a Scheif v Burmi thread if it's a burning issue, I assure you it would blow up.​

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Point pace if anyone is curious

Player | Games | Goals | Assists | Points
Little | 82 | 45 | 29 | 74
Ladd | 82 | 21 | 49 | 71
Kane | 80 | 27 | 22 | 59
Byfuglien | 82 | 4 | 45 | 49
Wheeler | 82 | 21 | 29 | 50
Joker | 82 | 12 | 29 | 41
Frolik | 82 | 16 | 25 | 41
Gooch | 81 | 17 | 21 | 38
Enstrom | 82 | 8 | 25 | 33
Clitty | 78 | 10 | 20 | 30
Bright Eyes | 82 | 4 | 16 | 20

Basically, except for Ladd and Little everyone needs to step up their offensive game.

Last edited:

JSR84

Displaced Jets fan.
May 31, 2011
Victoria

No, your logic is messed right up.

When calculating the ****!!!!JETS!!!!**** points percentage, its pretty simple 9-9-2 is equal to .500 of the total points available to ****!!!!THEM!!!!****. By the league standard, they're presently sitting at .500, which is really all the matters unless a tie breaker is required. Not .435 or whatever it is in your world, its probably best to stick to the stat everyone else uses… Just saying.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
The West is absolutely insane this year, this is honestly better than I was expecting since I expected to lose both the games against the Wings and the Sharks game. This team is much better on paper than previous years, especially the 2011 team. This team actually has 9 legitimate NHL players on their top 3 lines, that may not seem like much but it wasn't something the Jets had in previous years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad