News Article: 5 Surprises from Jets Development Camp

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Poolman is by no means a slam dunk, but I see no reason to write a guy off because of age. Players everwhere develop at different times and there are all kinds of darkhorse stories. Why couldn't he be one? He definitely has size and tools on his side.

Nothing says any player can't be a dark horse, but as a general rule... improbable things aren't probable.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I was pretty high on Poolman as a potential dark horse prospect for the Jets not realizing how old he is. He was eligible to be drafted in 2011, didn't get drafted until 2013 and then didn't start in the NCAA till 2014 which is three years after some players his age.

My guess is Poolman will be 24 when he plays his first pro game. Maybe 23, if he has a really good year. He was a late bloomer, and played very well for the UND last season.

C.J. Frankin, 21, is also another late bloomer. He was named to the WCHA all-rookie team.

Last edited:

royalwoodJet

Dec 23, 2014
I enjoyed the article. What struck me was the fact that Lemieux has been signed for big bucks. Seems to me the club expects him to play soon. Not sure why so much but I'm sure there's a story there.

I assume the reason Lemieux got a big contract was just leverage.
Since he didn't sign with the Sabres isnt he close to the point where he could elect to re-enter the draft?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I enjoyed the article. What struck me was the fact that Lemieux has been signed for big bucks. Seems to me the club expects him to play soon. Not sure why so much but I'm sure there's a story there.

Its a pretty common ELC. Salary + signing bonus + performance bonus. The top prospects get 2-300k more. The lower picks get 2-300k less. No way Lemieux is close to making the NHL this year. He has another year of junior. Then he probably spends at least a year in the A first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad