News Article: 5 Surprises from Jets Development Camp

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Joel Armia:

"Armia played hard every day and showed off his skills. In the week ending scrimmage, though he was held off the score sheet, Armia was a force, especially in the second half he was one of the best forwards on the ice. Armia was so impressive this week that I believe he will play his way into contention for an NHL spot if he can continue this play in training camp. With his size and skill he could fill a bottom-six forward role pretty well."

Tucker Poolman:

"Poolman looked great at camp, he is a smooth skater, and already has developed an NHL body at 6’3″, 210 lbs. His first pass is excellent and he loves to jump into the rush. During the scrimmage he was the best player on his team, and outside of Josh Morrisey, was the best player on the ice, scoring a goal and chipping in with a couple assists. Poolman will not be with the big club for a few years still but this guy showed he may be closer to being ready than most people think."

Ryan Olsen:

"In this camp however, he was very hard to stop. He muscled his way to wherever he wanted and owned the physical game all week. Olsen also showed some scoring touch around the net and proved he may one day be an asset who can provide size, strength, and some goals,"

Sami Niku:

He worked hard and played his position, listened to his coaches, and didn’t try to do too much. He played solid defense and did a good job of it. He is many years away but showed a lot, especially in the scrimmage when he was one of the better defenseman. He provides a solid break out pass and controls the puck very well. He is not going to be your number one at this point, but he will provide you a steady stick on the blue line.

Kyle Connor:

"The Jets first pick in this year’s draft came exactly as promised. Picked 17th overall, the Jets and scouts all around raved about his speed and offensive upside. It was a good one. Connor showed off speed and skill all week, and in the scrimmage in particular, really showed that he is also very reliable defensively , a big plus for a player this young."

more: http://thehockeywriters.com/5-surprises-from-jets-development-camp/

-----

I've been hearing great things about Tucker Poolman all year. He played great, in his first season at the UND. I can see him being a dark horse to make the Jets. Good to see lower ranked picks like Olsen and Niku impress. Connor showed what he is made of, and Armia, who has a reputation of being soft, did not show it at camp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Poolman couldn't crack the top 6 at 20 years old with UND. They moved him up to 4th line winger. That's not that encouraging a sign really. Poolman is longshot to be a legit NHL prospect not sure how he has acquired this crazy huge fanbase.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Poolman couldn't crack the top 6 at 20 years old with UND. They moved him up to 4th line winger. That's not that encouraging a sign really. Poolman is longshot to be a legit NHL prospect not sure how he has acquired this crazy huge fanbase.

He's a jack of all trades. They put Poolman up at forward, since there were injuries to several forwards. He usually plays Defense, very well, and received rave reviews in the 2014-15 season. He's received rave reviews all year long. Do you have a source for your claims? All I have heard of Poolman is positive things:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/can-poolman-be-another-buff-294963091.html

http://thehockeywriters.com/tucker-poolman-making-immediate-impact-for-und/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3743735-und-mens-hockey-another-poolman-commits-und

One song comes to mind, when I think of Tucker Poolman:

Last edited:

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Agreed, not very high on the guy myself either.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Agreed, not very high on the guy myself either.

lol....so Poolman has a great season for UND, and people are not very high on him? Am I missing something.

Well you are high on Kosmachuk, comparing him to Copp.

Gentleman's wager: Poolman will have a more successful career than Kosmachuk. It may be 2017-18 until Poolman cracks the lineup, but he will eventually. Kosma is a career AHLer

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Its Winnipeg, we love everybody until they actually start playing.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Believe he was higher in the line up than 4th line.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Poolmans definitely a late bloomerbased on his d+2 and d+3 years he has a 20% shot. Not bad for a dman but its hard to know what those numbers should be when you consider he was still in the USHL at twenty.

I'm higher on him then I was buy I'm still suspicious.

I have a feeling he gets an unjustified boost due to proximity and accessibility of being at UND.

Especially for local writers, its been no coincidence to me that these glowing reports were all filed shortly after the writer watched a UND game.

Maybe he really is that good, but none of the other prospects have been viewed with the same lense so I take those reports with an entire salt shaker.

I'll admit he looked better then I expected at camp.

You also have to remember he's 22 and he's still a project. 2-3/years away still? Great, so hell get his rookie year in and if were lucky he breaks the threshold of GP before he's a UFA.

People are getting ready to write armia off if he's not on the team this year but Poolmans gets a pass for another 3? Hell be breaking in at 25 then

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
lol....so Poolman has a great season for UND, and people are not very high on him? Am I missing something?

Gentleman's wager: Poolman will have a more successful career than Kosmachuk. It may be 2017-18 until Poolman cracks the lineup, but he will eventually. Kosma is a career AHLer

People are entitled to their opinions on players. You seem to have the opinion that Kossy is a career AHLer after one pro season. May I ask why?

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

They had a lot off established Seniors on the team last year, and this yr after his freshman yr he will play Defense and 1st line power play. I expect him to have a large role on the team this yr playing Defense.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

I've seen a number of UND games live, watched Poolman closely and never really understood why he wasn't their #1 D. It almost seemed like he was in the coaches doghouse. Players like Troy Stecher, who are a very flashy, and skilled yet doesn't drive the play as well, get more ice time. Poolman for example in one of the games i watched, played well and was not on the PP, yet when he was out there kept the puck in the offensive zone based off of good reads and a solid stick. He made one mistake which led to a breakaway(his D partner was guilty too) and a goal, the next game he sat. It'll be interesting to see how Tucker is used this season with Dave Hakstol gone.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
lol....so Poolman has a great season for UND, and people are not very high on him? Am I missing something?

I'm not high on Kosmachuk, I think he's a better prospect than Poolman. Not saying Poolman is terrible or anything, he just doesn't impress me.

Kosmachuk put up Lowry-esque numbers on a pretty terrible outside Hellebuyck St. Johns AHL team. Poolman looked good in a game against mostly 18-19 year olds... he is 22.

To be honest it's really all unknown. 2 seasons ago we weren't even thinking of Chiarot for instance.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I wonder if USHL NHLE numbers are wrong, because they don't have the TOI issue that Europe does but still end up drastically off from PCS numbers.

I think they are. The USHL NHLE we have is quite high. Haven't been able to track down an alternative yet thougj

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I was pretty high on Poolman as a potential dark horse prospect for the Jets not realizing how old he is. He was eligible to be drafted in 2011, didn't get drafted until 2013 and then didn't start in the NCAA till 2014 which is three years after some players his age.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
I was at development camp a couple of times and was impressed with the players mentioned here as well except for Niku who didn't really show too much. Armia I believe will be playing for the jets by the end of the year regularly. Has a good skill set and size. Strong with the puck. Poolman might have been the most impressive actually. For a 5th rounder he could be a great find. time will tell of course but very strong and does blow by guys and thru them like their not there. Olsen was sneaky good I thought. Seemed very aggressive and skates well. Seems to know his strengths. Connor did not disappoint. Very fast very skilled

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Poolman is by no means a slam dunk, but I see no reason to write a guy off because of age. Players everwhere develop at different times and there are all kinds of darkhorse stories. Why couldn't he be one? He definitely has size and tools on his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad