5 players from 2018 World Junior Team Canada told to report to police

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I will make this statement:

A women was raped.

There was a cover up by powerful people in powerful organizations.

There will never be justice because you can’t undue rape.

If this happened to one of my daughters you’d never find the bodies of these men.

I don’t think this is the last of these occurrences as hockey is still a revered boys club.

For all of you that have women in your lives think about your daughters, sisters, mothers, wives and grandchildren. How would you feel about the accused, would you be satisfied with the benefit of the doubt.

That being said the justice system is imperfect, it gets things wrong. In this case there is ample evidence to believe that what is alleged to have occurred actually did occur. Not much room for interpretation.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
??

All I asked for was receipts as to your claims. You have done the same on these forums. You have clearly had this conversation in your head, and decided you won't "win" so this is how you respond. The one thing I will take and be grateful for from this last post is that you're bowing out. I stated that I have firsthand experience in this field... on both sides... as a therapist (no one has any ulterior motives in a therapy room when what is said isn't being used in court.) Your coming at this with what? As a hockey fan? Someone with a guilty conscience needing that good 'ole cognitive dissonance? Or just someone with an ego that doesn't know when their take isn't needed.

Kobe Bryant
Trevor Bauer
Christano Rinaldo
Ben Rothlesberger
Neymar
Bernard Williams
Shawn Oakman
Brian Banks
Matt Araiza
Amir Riap
Jahsen Wint
Benjamin Mendy
Shawn Oakman
The two players in the Nikki Yovino case (Sacred Heart University)

These sorts of incidents happen. Enough that we need to let the courts adjudicate them before we pass judgement behind a computer screen without the benefit of an investigative team, lawyers arguing the validity of evidence and a judiciary deciding what is and is not properly proven as fact.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Kobe Bryant
Trevor Bauer
Christano Rinaldo
Ben Rothlesberger
Neymar
Bernard Williams
Shawn Oakman
Brian Banks
Matt Araiza
Amir Riap
Jahsen Wint
Benjamin Mendy
Shawn Oakman
The two players in the Nikki Yovino case (Sacred Heart University)

These sorts of incidents happen. Enough that we need to let the courts adjudicate them before we pass judgement behind a computer screen without the benefit of an investigative team, lawyers arguing the validity of evidence and a judiciary deciding what is and is not properly proven as fact.
Should have listed OJ Simpson falsely getting accused of double homicide too. (Sarcasm off)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Should have listed OJ Simpson falsely getting accused of double homicide too. (Sarcasm off)

And here is example #1 of the reason why I didn’t want to present a list.

Waiting for example‘s #2, 3 , 4 , 5 , 6……

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I just find the headlines a little shocking that five Team Canada players have to surrender to the London Police to face sexual assault charges. We have all heard various stories of some such issues over the years. Even Fox News has jumped on this story. These things happen all the time but because we put elite players on a pedestal in Canada it hits home a little more. Reality bites sometimes. When you look at the Corry Perry incident and see how it was sensationalized into a massive false rumour it's best to wait for the evidence to come out before making judgments. Not saying he didn't do something. If the players are found guilty they will have to face the consequences.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I just find the headlines a little shocking that five Team Canada players have to surrender to the London Police to face sexual assault charges. We have all heard various stories of some such issues over the years. Even Fox News has jumped on this story. These things happen all the time but because we put elite players on a pedestal in Canada it hits home a little more. Reality bite sometimes. When you look at the Corry Perry incident and see how it was sensationalized into a massive false rumour it's best to wait for the evidence to come out before making judgments. Not saying he didn't do something. If the players are found guilty they will have to face the consequences.
Did you read the article in post 48. I'm all about giving people their day in court, but this isn't something that may or may not have happened.

There's a big difference between the two. One was an idiot comment on Twitter started by a random troll that people picked up and ran with. The other has had events published detailing the events leading to and including the actions, with a confirmed attempt to cover it up.

Last edited:

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Agreed. But, that is one account. Let’s wait to hear from all parties in an open court and not convict people based on a few pieces of unvetted evidence floating around in the public sphere. We should not be the judges of these types of alleged crimes. Let the professionals do what they do. If it is as bad as what is alleged and the circumstances are as alleged, I’m the first person to stand there saying, “Off with their heads!” Just let the courts figure it all out first. That is my ONLY point in all of this. There are far too many variables and assumptions that don’t have answers. I am sure all the facts will emerge and a just decision will be made.

even now, if the players speculated are the ones being charged, some of their teams have tip-toed around it by saying they are on a "personal leave" or "mental health leave"... what a cowardly disservice to players actually suffering from mental health challenges if they end up being one of the players charged.

hockey's culture of protection never ceases to disgust me.
This is Canada -- so names are not publicized until an arrest has been affected by the police service with jurisdiction. Alternatively if there is an active warrant and they are seeking the public's help. That being said, once someone has been arrested and has a court date placed on the docket its public record UNLESS they implement a publication ban which is often done in sexual assault cases to protect mainly the victim but also the accused in the event that they are found not guilty etc...

Reactions: bobber and Otto

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I just find the headlines a little shocking that five Team Canada players have to surrender to the London Police to face sexual assault charges. We have all heard various stories of some such issues over the years. Even Fox News has jumped on this story. These things happen all the time but because we put elite players on a pedestal in Canada it hits home a little more. Reality bite sometimes. When you look at the Corry Perry incident and see how it was sensationalized into a massive false rumour it's best to wait for the evidence to come out before making judgments. Not saying he didn't do something. If the players are found guilty they will have to face the consequences.
Who didn't and won't face consequences of any significance, are the Hockey Canada people who paid ( with others money) to cover their 'assets ', denied until they could no longer , only then did they step away .

Into relative obscurity.
I can't name 5 of them ...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Who didn't and won't face consequences of any significance, are the Hockey Canada people who paid ( with others money) to cover their 'assets ', denied until they could no longer , only then did they step away .

Into relative obscurity.
I can't name 5 of them ...
There has to be more accountability. Where does all the money come from to run this program? I could be wrong but I thought I read some of it was coming off the backs of people that sign their kids up for hockey. Anyhow the whole damn thing is absolutely disgusting. The players that were actually involved knew better but went ahead anyway despite the consequences they might be exposed. I guess these programs become an old boys club. They have been replaced but lets hope things change for the better before they lose all their funding. Maybe more will come to light than we think.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
the problems within hockey canada run deep on and off the ice, and probably deserves it's own thread. but there's definitely something incredibly unethical about taking money from house leagues and competitive programs across the country and using it to cover up sexual assault.

hockey has become a sport for those who can afford it meaning a ton of talent and potential is lost in the economics of the sport. when only the children of doctors and other upper middle class professions can afford to play above house league it's no wonder smaller nations have closed the gap on the international level. and it just makes it so much more egregious that hard working canadian families are paying to whitewash criminal activity.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In all fairness, they have begun cleaning up Hockey Canada. I’m not sure of the current status of the changes but pretty much the entire board is turned over. Their focus is on a lot of the things highlighted so far in this thread. I believe transparency will be much better going forward.

In light of the changes already made as a result of this case as well as some others including hazing/bullying and inclusivity and reducing barriers on the financial side of playing, I believe they are in the right path. The key is to remain on that path.

They will need some time to demonstrate their changes have been positive. It will likely require as long as a full decade before the confidence is restored.

Reactions: DWI Dale

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
the problems within hockey canada run deep on and off the ice, and probably deserves it's own thread. but there's definitely something incredibly unethical about taking money from house leagues and competitive programs across the country and using it to cover up sexual assault.

hockey has become a sport for those who can afford it meaning a ton of talent and potential is lost in the economics of the sport. when only the children of doctors and other upper middle class professions can afford to play above house league it's no wonder smaller nations have closed the gap on the international level. and it just makes it so much more egregious that hard working canadian families are paying to whitewash criminal activity.
The price of house league hockey in Ontario has gone beyond some peoples means. It's ridiculous. I know some would disagree but if there was another kid like a Gretzky playing on some back yard rink he may never see the inside of an arena because of the cost. Now we have elite Team Canada hockey players committing alleged sexual crimes all over the Canadian and international news. Sets a hell of an example for young hockey player coming up. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not the tip of an iceberg.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The price of house league hockey in Ontario has gone beyond some peoples means. It's ridiculous. I know some would disagree but if there was another kid like a Gretzky playing on some back yard rink he may never see the inside of an arena because of the cost. Now we have elite Team Canada hockey players committing alleged sexual crimes all over the Canadian and international news. Sets a hell of an example for young hockey player coming up. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not the tip of an iceberg.
(now?) simialr intolerable stuff went on for decades at major junior, junior, midget levels.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
(now?) simialr intolerable stuff went on for decades at major junior, junior, midget levels.
You are correct Dirty. We have all heard different stories of such things around hockey for decades. It's really nothing new. This one though has caught the eye of the public and isn't going to just dissolve into another story to forget about until the next issue comes to light. Some reputations and careers are at stake if found guilty.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You are correct Dirty. We have all heard different stories of such things around hockey for decades. It's really nothing new. This one though has caught the eye of the public and isn't going to just dissolve into another story to forget about until the next issue comes to light. Some reputations and careers are at stake if found guilty.

I think some careers are already over regardless of the criminal proceedings. Even with a not guilty verdict or something similar, it is likely as soon as they are charged, contracts will be voided and no team will touch them after because of the perception.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think some careers are already over regardless of the criminal proceedings. Even with a not guilty verdict or something similar, it is likely as soon as they are charged, contracts will be voided and no team will touch them after because of the perception.
I have no issue with their careers being over. There's video of the assault according to the press. They remained part of the cover up and should be held accountable.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have no issue with their careers being over. There's video of the assault according to the press. They remained part of the cover up and should be held accountable.
Hopefully this is a lesson learned and consequences are more than a slap on the wrist. Hockey players or not if the evidence turns out to be true let the punishment fit the crime. I can't imagine the panic of the Hockey Canada execs when this issue started to come to light. All gathered in a back room some where drumming up ways to make it go away to lesson the impact on Canadian Hockey programs.

purple pharrt

Jan 23, 2024
sec 107 r2
I guess it would depend if it was an authentic game worn jersey or a fraudulent game worn jersey.
I don't think authenticity would matter in this situation. The real question would be: Who would really want one ? Then again, there are people who collect strange items, like Nazi memorabilia. Maybe those collectors who initially acquired one, might be having second thoughts, and perhaps their initial investment has or will see some significant devaluation. Should be interesting to see if any find their way onto the usual re-sale sites, and what prices they might sell at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino