5 players from 2018 World Junior Team Canada told to report to police

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
incredible that even after all the controversy and cover up, so much effort has gone into protecting the identities of these young men, even as they're being asked to surrender to police.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
incredible that even after all the controversy and cover up, so much effort has gone into protecting the identities of these young men, even as they're being asked to surrender to police.
They haven't been charged yet. I suspect that once charges are laid they will be named. Not too hard to connect a few dots though... one unsigned free agent stemming back to last season that teams are afraid to touch, and two players in the last 2 days took leaves from their teams for personal reasons....

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The names will become public in due time once they hit the court records
This.

Immediate gratification and cancel culture makes us want to condemn now so we can move onto the next issue, just based on internet speculation. Even once they are officially charged and the names come out, they are afforded their day in court.

Queue those who will take this as me defending the alleged behaviour. This is not that.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
This.

Immediate gratification and cancel culture makes us want to condemn now so we can move onto the next issue, just based on internet speculation. Even once they are officially charged and the names come out, they are afforded their day in court.

Queue those who will take this as me defending the alleged behaviour. This is not that.
While our legal system is all about 'innocence until proven guilty', in the court of public opinion given the high profile of this situation, once the names surface, you can guarantee these young men's careers are done, guilty or not...

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
This.

these fellas have been afforded far more protection than average citizens suspected of a crime. the incident happened 6 years ago for heavens sake (hardly instant gratification). hockey canada and the london police did their best to take absolutely no action - until the reporting of brave journalists like westhead forced their hand.

look no further than your local news outlet and the "police beat" columns to see how quickly an "average" person suspected of a crime will have their names published, certainly LONG before their day in court - but nobody is out whining on their behalf.

the fact that you're good at whacking around a piece of vulcanized rubber should have no bearing on how you're treated by the criminal justice system and the media, but it does!

Last edited:

Otto

these fellas have been afforded far more protection than average citizens suspected of a crime. the incident happened 6 years ago for heavens sake (hardly instant gratification). hockey canada and the london police did their best to take absolutely no action - until the reporting of brave journalists like westhead forced their hand.

look no further than your local news outlet and the "police beat" columns to see how quickly an "average" person suspected of a crime will have their names published, certainly LONG before their day in court - but nobody is out whining on their behalf.

the fact that you're good at whacking around a piece of vulcanized rubber should have no bearing on how you're treated by the criminal justice system and the media, but it does!
I don't think any names are released in the media until someone is charged, and even then it's not consistent. The only exception is if someone is wanted for questioning and the police haven't located them. In this case, there are no charges, and by the sounds of it, the suspects are turning themselves in.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
even now, if the players speculated are the ones being charged, some of their teams have tip-toed around it by saying they are on a "personal leave" or "mental health leave"... what a cowardly disservice to players actually suffering from mental health challenges if they end up being one of the players charged.

hockey's culture of protection never ceases to disgust me.

Otto

even now, if the players speculated are the ones being charged, some of their teams have tip-toed around it by saying they are on a "personal leave" or "mental health leave"... what a cowardly disservice to players actually suffering from mental health challenges if they end up being one of the players charged.

hockey's culture of protection never ceases to disgust me.
Because they have not been proven guilty in a court of law.

Listen, I know the evidence is damning... and I'm pretty certain they are guilty. But there are laws. If a team comes out and says 'This player is taking time off because he's a douchebag rapist" and then his hotshot lawyer gets him off then that team is screwed. Again, this isn't a "hockey player privilege" thing, it's a legal thing and any company would do exactly the same in the real world.

Edited to add: I agree... using mental health as an excuse which I think Dube did, is disgusting. Could be the Flames didn't know this was coming so soon and thought it was legit. I don't fault the Flames, I fault Dube and/or his agent

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My suggestion is we let this all play out in the courts. There have been a lot of disingenuous accusations across sport as well as many famous people with $$$. I’m not saying this is one of those cases but I will reserve judgement when the ruling is made at the end of it all. I will not demonize any person involved in this case until they are proven to be demons. If they are proven to have been participants in wrongdoing, I hope they face the appropriate penalties associated to the crime. IF they are proven innocent, I hope they receive the courtesy of resuming their careers without any malice regardless of whether they were “fully” innocent. We have a justice system in place for criminal justice. We need to put our faith in it and accept whatever ruling ends up being passed down.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i believe the victim that passed a lie detector test, and Hockey Canada believed her enough to pay her to be quiet. ;)

and i have diminished faith in the criminal justice system that only got this far in prosecuting because their hand was forced. when all is said and done, these young men will finally get what they deserve and people will still make excuses for them.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
i believe the victim that passed a lie detector test, and Hockey Canada believed her enough to pay her to be quiet. ;)

and i have diminished faith in the criminal justice system that only got this far in prosecuting because their hand was forced. when all is said and done, these young men will finally get what they deserve and people will still make excuses for them.
Could not agree more. In addition everytime I see someone claim "We all did dumb things when we were young" it just reads as that person self-reporting what a piece of garbage they are.

Otto

and i have diminished faith in the criminal justice system that only got this far in prosecuting because their hand was forced. when all is said and done, these young men will finally get what they deserve and people will still make excuses for ththem
Who here has made excuses for them?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Who here has made excuses for them?
people are so eager to give them the benefit of the doubt others don't receive... even insinuating the victim could be just after cash... which is funny because if it was about money she already got her big hush money payment... totally something hockey canada would do if they believed the players were innocent! :rolleyes:

Otto

people are so eager to give them the benefit of the doubt others don't receive... even insinuating the victim could be just after cash... which is funny because if it was about money she already got her big hush money payment... totally something hockey canada would do if they believed the players were innocent! :rolleyes:
Again, who here has done that?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Again, who here has done that?
It's literally a few posts up. :thumbd:

For some it's anything but acknowledging that 5-8 hockey players gang raped a young woman and the "system" - both hockey and criminal justice tried to protect them.

I for one look forward to seeing these indefinite leaves for mental health become criminal prosecutions and potential jail sentences. Sex crimes are gross.

Otto

For some it's anything but acknowledging that 5-8 hockey players gang raped a young woman and the "system" - both hockey and criminal justice tried to protect them.

I for one look forward to seeing these indefinite leaves for mental health become criminal prosecutions.
You're going to have to show me the exact quote, because I'm not seeing anyone here defending the actions, nor saying she's out for cash.

That said it could be from someone I've blocked. Which if that's the case it certainly validates my decision there.

Reactions: Geff and DWI Dale

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ya, I'm not seeing it, even after logging out. Which post is defending them?

These are just the 5 players from the World Junior team. Originally there were 8 total players , 5 from that team and 3 other CHL players. This may not be over yet.
I think there was a similar post to a few of your posts, noting that we need to really have a court case with a ruling before 100% sure of their guilt or innocence. See post 17 (I could be wrong if assuming this is what DWI is talking about)
I dont see this giving the players a pass at all, just let the courts do their jobs!

Reactions: EvenSteven

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

I for one look forward to seeing these indefinite leaves for mental health become criminal prosecutions and potential jail sentences. Sex crimes are gross.
Most likely probation for all. No jail time. Once they turn them themselves in, they will be released waiting first appearances. That's our Canadian justice system.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Most likely probation for all. No jail time. Once they turn them themselves in, they will be released waiting first appearances. That's our Canadian justice system.
This whole thing will likely drag out a couple years, there is no swift decision in these sorts of cases as many rely on hearsay rather than concrete evidence (someone video taping the event for example)....i could see plea deals being struck to avoid a trial before a court of public opinion/jury but many of these similar cases go to trial only to have weeks/months of back and forth commentary

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
This whole thing will likely drag out a couple years, there is no swift decision in these sorts of cases as many rely on hearsay rather than concrete evidence (someone video taping the event for example)....
Absolutely it will drag out and you'll be lucky to hear it what they recieve as a consequence. Again, probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad