Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What is the plan for Casey? One more year of college or sign him and assign him to a Utica for a year of development there?
1710372966811.png

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What's the chance he goes the 4-year college UFA route? He would be UFA in two more seasons, correct?

Probably unlikely, the UFA route ends up costing the player some short term money. We'll see if Casey signs after this season and could burn the first ELC year immediately (we did this to get Miles Wood, Steve Santini, and Joey Anderson signed).

ELC starts 2023-24:
2023-24: ELC1
2024-25: ELC2
2025-26: ELC3

ELC starts 2024-25 (ATO to finish this season, or he signs after junior year)
2024-25: ELC1
2025-26: ELC2
2026-27: ELC3

Signs after August 15, 2026 (would be 22, only has to sign two year ELC)
2026-27: ELC1
2027-28: ELC2

If he signs this season, he'd be up for his next deal summer 2026. Whereas if he waits, he wouldn't be RFA until 2028. Worst case he makes a stink like Adam Fox and they'd trade him ahead of time.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I doubt it would come to that - if he thinks his path in NJ is blocked, he could probably just ask for a trade or NJ would deal him on their own if he hints at going back for a Senior year.

Devils are already thin at RD beyond Hamilton, Nemec & Marino so there's already a good opportunity for him in NJ. He probably needs a season or two in Utica anyway, but could be relatively high on the call-up list once injuries hit the right side and if he's as good as we think he can be they'll find a spot for him.
As mentioned previously, the main issue is that the Devils are already loaded up with young offensive/transition defensemen and they're light on stout physical defensive defensemen. Every good team has a calibrated balance of both, you never want to be constructed too heavily either way.

Nemec, Hughes, Hamilton, and Casey would be a really light back end that could get exposed defensively from heavy physical teams like Carolina.

From a roster construction standpoint, you're likely to see one moved. Don't be shocked if it's Casey in a big deal.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
As mentioned previously, the main issue is that the Devils are already loaded up with young offensive/transition defensemen and they're light on stout physical defensive defensemen. Every good team has a calibrated balance of both, you never want to be constructed too heavily either way.

Nemec, Hughes, Hamilton, and Casey would be a really light back end that could get exposed defensively from heavy physical teams like Carolina.

From a roster construction standpoint, you're likely to see one moved. Don't be shocked if it's Casey in a big deal.

Very good point which I thought of but didn't elaborate on and could be a reason why Casey would be involved in a trade for a goalie.

Still, I think that's more of a short-term issue. Casey most likely needs a year or two in the minors to really round out his game. After next season, Hamilton's NMC changes to a NTC so he does become moveable (especially since he'd be owed $14.650M his last 3 seasons after the 2025 signing bonus is paid out).

While Hughes and Casey are very similar players, I don't quite view Nemec in the same light given how good he is defensively.

But yes, you would really need some good, physical defenseman to supplement that group. Also very difficult to have Hamilton, Hughes & Casey in a lineup if none of the 3 are PKers. I'm not sure why Hamilton gets zero time on the PK with the Devils - he at least played 2:19 & 1:25 per game on the PK his final two seasons with Carolina, so he has some experience. His a big defenseman with 800+ games under his belt and one of the highest paid players in the league at his position - seems like something he should be able to work into his repertoire.

Honestly, I'd just really hate to see NJ give up on this kid before we get a chance to see what he can do in the NHL as it seems like he could be special. Would really like to see it work out for him with the Devils, even if it doesn't look like he's the best fit right now given the current group of defensemen. I would be extremely bummed if we trade him.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Really doubt Casey is gonna get traded.

He's still a year, maybe two away, Marino has just imploded, and Dougie just had his 2nd serious injury in 3 years and we won't see him playing again until next season.

In a world where the Devils have a top 10-ish pick, you're gonna see that get moved first 10/10 times, imo

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

The Devils bigger and more "defensive" players have been the ones who have been the most exposed by forecheck teams - not so much because they aren't big or physical enough, but because their puck skills and ability to generate exits stinks. Luke and Marino have been very good getting the puck and starting exits - the rest have not.

If you can get a big, physical defenseman who is proficient at retrievals and exits than you would want that player over a smaller defenseman with the same skill set - but those big guys are few and far between.

Reactions: Triumph

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
only way i trade casey is if he shows hesitation to sign, which presumably should be known soon once michigan's season ends. if that becomes the case, he goes in a package. if not, keep him.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'd personally rather see Holtz or our 1st rounder dealt this year for a goalie than Casey.
Casey is a good or even really good prospect, but I'd definately trade him rather than our 1st for a goalie. I just don't think it's enough for someone like Saros or Ullmark.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
@Guadana and @StevenToddIves
I wonder where Casey would rank in a redraft and how he’d rate against the upcoming crop of prospects.

With Fitz believing the Devils’ window has opened, Casey could prove more valuable for the team since he’d be further along on the development curve than who they pick.

I’m not saying we should trade our first for a goalie but I am trying to assess how Fitz may view things.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@Guadana and @StevenToddIves
I wonder where Casey would rank in a redraft and how he’d rate against the upcoming crop of prospects.

With Fitz believing the Devils’ window has opened, Casey could prove more valuable for the team since he’d be further along on the development curve than who they pick.

I’m not saying we should trade our first for a goalie but I am trying to assess how Fitz may view things.
First round. May be somewhere between 15-25th pick.
Casey is very talented player for free on a future cheap deal. Thus is what contender need - load cap space and use talented young players when pay nothing.

Fitz should save our top 14 first too. There are players with real top -2 lines / pairs potential. Its a free talented players under control for 7-10 years. Saros and Ullmark are in one year away from ufa. Fitz can sign one for free or try to deal them on the trade line cheaper.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i think the idea that we are just “average goaltending” away from being a contender is probably true again, like we said two off seasons ago. i’d say average goaltending/competent coaching but i don’t think we need to blow up assets for saros or ullmark or especially markstrom.

if we can get one of them for a palatable offer then do it, but i think having great goaltending with poor coaching and no depth is worse for next season than having great coaching with average goaltending and solid depth.

this year was a combination of all lacking all 3 and im worried fitz might try to overcorrect

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i think the idea that we are just “average goaltending” away from being a contender is probably true again, like we said two off seasons ago. i’d say average goaltending/competent coaching but i don’t think we need to blow up assets for saros or ullmark or especially markstrom.

if we can get one of them for a palatable offer then do it, but i think having great goaltending with poor coaching and no depth is worse for next season than having great coaching with average goaltending and solid depth.

this year was a combination of all lacking all 3 and im worried fitz might try to overcorrect

He's definitely going to overreact because his job is much closer to being on the line now. He's been here for 4 seasons and goaltending has been a huge problem in 3 of them.

That said, I would much rather trade e.g. this year's 1st for Vancouver's 1st and Markstrom than I would trade Casey + for Markstrom.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

I think part of the appeal of going after Markstrom is that he should cost less than Ullmark or Saros.

The underlying asset cost to acquire should be lower and he isn't going to be searching for a massive 7ish year deal at a high cap hit next summer like the other two.

I wouldn't trade a top 10-15 pick, Casey, or Mercer for Markstrom, but any other prospect/future is fine.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i would consider both of those palatable, depending on who might realistically be available when we pick. vancouver’s first has a lot less value than our first we’d be passing up another potential 10 year core piece for 2 years of goaltending

Reactions: longislanddevil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i would consider both of those palatable, depending on who might realistically be available when we pick. vancouver’s first has a lot less value than our first we’d be passing up another potential 10 year core piece for 2 years of goaltending

We wouldn't be passing it up, we'd still have a late 1st, obviously yeah trading picks 25 and 28 probably don't get you to 10 or 11 or whatever but it'd get you close. Keeping the pick is just not a great idea for the Devils' window - the Devils should be trading it for something.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
We wouldn't be passing it up, we'd still have a late 1st, obviously yeah trading picks 25 and 28 probably don't get you to 10 or 11 or whatever but it'd get you close. Keeping the pick is just not a great idea for the Devils' window - the Devils should be trading it for something.
dont necessarily agree that it’s bad for their window. a 22-23 year old power winger on an elc or a third line center with high upside is still going to slot into the window for jack/nico/bratt/nemec/luke. and they would be in their prime as those guys age out. not ideal but it’s a good idea to keep it if the necessary improvements can be made in other areas without it.

yes it’s a position of strength but it shouldn’t be discounted for a short term fix

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
dont necessarily agree that it’s bad for their window. a 22-23 year old power winger on an elc or a third line center with high upside is still going to slot into the window for jack/nico/bratt/nemec/luke. and they would be in their prime as those guys age out. not ideal but it’s a good idea to keep it if the necessary improvements can be made in other areas without it.

yes it’s a position of strength but it shouldn’t be discounted for a short term fix

There's just too much of a risk of the pick busting entirely and the Devils getting no value at all from it. Yeah, obviously if it hits, great, it's always going to be better than whatever they trade it for in that case, but the downside is too large. The Devils no longer need to try to hit home runs if there's a near-guaranteed double out there.

Gettting this back to Casey, I think Casey doesn't have enough value to think about trading him in this way - they should go for the home run because no one will give them a double for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad