Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Those that say Casey is not useful or is redundant to this team also I suppose would say no to Quinn Hughes if he was magically a UFA after this season because that’s who I see as a comparison.

Casey was mid 2nd round due to his size. If he was 6’2” with his skill set he’d have been top 15
If he was 6'2 195 he would be the best D prospect in the world :laugh:

I like the kid, like his attitude, love the tools he has, like the way he plays...

But I be lying to you if I told you I wasn't afraid of his size limitations.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This thread kind of overrates Casey to an extent and massively underrates Dougie. If Casey is even 75% Dougie it’s a huge huge win.

While true, Hamilton is both much costlier and older to the point where you wonder how much longer he can sustain his recent level of play? While this injury likely does not rob him of his ability his age will start to catch up with him over the next few years. Imagine an even slower Hamilton? It’s hideous look away!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
While true, Hamilton is both much costlier and older to the point where you wonder how much longer he can sustain his recent level of play? While this injury likely does not rob him of his ability his age will start to catch up with him over the next few years. Imagine an even slower Hamilton? It’s hideous look away!!
I'm not sure Hamilton will age poorly. In fact I think the exact opposite is likely.

His game isn't predicated on speed, physicality or raw skill .... he's rangy guy with a big shot and long reach...I think Dougie will be able to play the way he does well into his 30's.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'm not sure Hamilton will age poorly. In fact I think the exact opposite is likely.

His game isn't predicated on speed, physicality or raw skill .... he's rangy guy with a big shot and long reach...I think Dougie will be able to play the way he does well into his 30's.

I hope you are correct. That would be great.

Reactions: JimEIV

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
While the team really needs a stalwart defensman who is actually above average on both sides of the puck , it looks to be Nemec has that potential and maybe Luke at some point. You still don't move a guy like Casey just because you have alot of defensmen in your pipeline.

He's our best prospect , you don't trade him unless it is way to good of a deal to pass up. Having a loaded defense is going to be a blessing in the future. Especially if we want to compete with average at best goaltending.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

His skill is really being able to generate offense out of our zone on the breakout and to be a weapon with his shot on the blueline. Dougie is top tier at pinching down low in the offensive zone and finding soft spots in the other teams coverage. The Devils are missing his shot on the powerplay big time right now. Holtz is probably the only one who can come close to his power/accuracy. Dougie scored a ton of big goals last year , before the injury though he wasn't playing particularly well. His defensive side of the game though is pretty bad , frustrating how bad on defense he is. For someone his size he plays an extremely soft game and gets beat by smaller players way to often.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I love Casey as a player, but he feels redundant to me. Between Dougie, Nemec, and Luke, we already have three offensive minded puck moving defensemen who are going to eat big minutes in those roles. I question whether Casey will even have the opportunity to develop properly here with his skillset.

Dougie and Nemec both shoot right, as does Casey, so he's already way down the depth chart with no real avenue to expanded playing time whether at 5v5 or powerplay.

Just feels like a player who is primed to be the cornerstone piece in a big trade. Not a knock on his abilities, but his ceiling is capped here.
The thing is Hamilton is unlikely to finish his contract on the Devils. Dougie realistically needs to be moved by 2026-27 because that’s when Nemec’s next deal starts. If he’s still here then we start needing to do bridge deals because defense spending gets tight.

There might not be much PP time for Casey with just with Luke and Nemec around, those two are his real competition long term.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Plus when Quinn Hughes signs here after his contract ends in Vancouver we really won't have room for Dougie with Quinn, Luke, Simon, and Seamus anchoring the defense.
this is such a dumb idea. the devils won't have the cap space for marginal players like quinn, when our 2026 6th round pick comes of his elc.

• Haha
Reactions: forceten

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Wonder what number he will wear for us since #26 is hanging in the rafters.
I believe he wore #36 a few times with the US National Team, he also wore #72 during our development camp.

1709961353357.png

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
What is the plan for Casey? One more year of college or sign him and assign him to a Utica for a year of development there?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What is the plan for Casey? One more year of college or sign him and assign him to a Utica for a year of development there?

I think you try to sign him this offseason - maybe even give him a game or two at the NHL level (Devils have one game after the conclusion of the Frozen Four).

I think he would benefit more spending next season in Utica than at Michigan. I'm sure the Devils would like to see how he performs at a higher level as well.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I think you try to sign him this offseason - maybe even give him a game or two at the NHL level (Devils have one game after the conclusion of the Frozen Four).

I think he would benefit more spending next season in Utica than at Michigan. I'm sure the Devils would like to see how he performs at a higher level as well.
What's the chance he goes the 4-year college UFA route? He would be UFA in two more seasons, correct?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What's the chance he goes the 4-year college UFA route? He would be UFA in two more seasons, correct?

I doubt it would come to that - if he thinks his path in NJ is blocked, he could probably just ask for a trade or NJ would deal him on their own if he hints at going back for a Senior year.

Devils are already thin at RD beyond Hamilton, Nemec & Marino so there's already a good opportunity for him in NJ. He probably needs a season or two in Utica anyway, but could be relatively high on the call-up list once injuries hit the right side and if he's as good as we think he can be they'll find a spot for him.

My3Sons

Sponsor
His father is a Devils fan. He would be kicked out of the family if he pulled that.
For context, my oldest moved to Washington D.C. I told him if he comes home wearing a Caps jersey he can sleep in the backyard. Same goes for any Commanders gear. I know he'd never turn his back on the Pelicans though. I'm sure Casey has similar rules at his home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad