Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
They project him as a third line agitator/contributor however the other d that was available had higher upside and filled a need. I think we could have picked him with our next pick perhaps.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm surprised to see that they felt their next biggest need after defense is an agitator type. In fact, this guy is the biggest surprise to me among this year's Red Wings draftees.

Jkalapeno

Mar 27, 2016
Riverview, FL
They had Hronek as a first round talent and they took this guy before Hronek.... They must have been really high on him. Seems like they are very pleased with this draft.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'm surprised to see that they felt their next biggest need after defense is an agitator type. In fact, this guy is the biggest surprise to me among this year's Red Wings draftees.

their biggest need is good players, regardless of position. in 3-5 years when these guys actually make the team the team needs could be completely different than now.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
vcqJoIw.jpg

According to reddit, he's a Wings fans also.

If you're not rooting for this guy now then there's something wrong with you.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Must be so cool to be drafted by the team you're a fan of. Hope this kid can walk that fine line between agitating/stupid and keep developing his skill.
Not that surprised honestly when you look at the forward group we're starting to assemble.

Svechnikov, G. Smith, Glendening, Bertuzzi.. this will be a hard team to play against. Larkin/AA are not soft either. Super excited about this team's future if some of the kids on D can actually pan out.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
ive warmed up on the pick. I saw he was taken a decent amount ahead of where he was projected, and i was sort of mad we didnt take a defenseman with the pick, but I like what I've been reading. I'll be rooting for him.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Given his highlight videos, scouting reports and personal comments, I would say that if he develops into a 3rd line skill agitator, we will likely have one of the dirtiest, most heavily skilled third lines in the NHL (likely Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Smith -- or something along those lines). Footage of him seems to indicate that he has the raw talent to become something special, as well as the athleticism and zeal to see his development potential through. Only time will tell.

But, honestly? :naughty:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
vcqJoIw.jpg

According to reddit, he's a Wings fans also.

If you're not rooting for this guy now then there's something wrong with you.

This is awesome! I saw Hockey Trolls post what was purportedly a Charles McAvoy tweet where he said he hates Boston. Probably from way back but it's still pretty awesome. Gotta imagine he's deleted that tweet by now.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Who is the last African American to play for the Red Wings? Tony McKegney?

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I like what I saw from the short clip.

obviously he needs to get a lot stronger and faster in order to play his style in NHL

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
This is awesome! I saw Hockey Trolls post what was purportedly a Charles McAvoy tweet where he said he hates Boston. Probably from way back but it's still pretty awesome. Gotta imagine he's deleted that tweet by now.

:laugh: Yeah, I saw that. Smart guy -- I can't ****ing stand Boston either.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Were any actually American? Reminds me of the Americans who go to Europe and still refer to black people over there as African American.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

Nathan Robinson is the last black Wings player that I can recall. He only played five games and was from Ontario, so I don't know if he qualifies across the board.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
They had Hronek as a first round talent and they took this guy before Hronek.... They must have been really high on him. Seems like they are very pleased with this draft.

I get the sense that last year they tried to maximize value and missed out on some of their top targets as a result.

I have no real reason to believe this, but the way they drafted this year it makes sense. They "reached" for almost every pick. That to me smells like a reaction to previous events. If you like the guy, take the guy even if he's widely rated lower.

Guys like Mackenzie are pretty smart but it's not like they are that good at scouting. If they were, the Leafs would have given them a huge check and made them their scouting directors a long time ago.

This guy seems like a fine pick. Let's see what happens.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Svechnikov, G. Smith, Glendening, Bertuzzi.. this will be a hard team to play against. Larkin/AA are not soft either. Super excited about this team's future if some of the kids on D can actually pan out.

With the exception of Svech and Lil Bert off the top of my head, most of our prospects I would say have above average skating skill. Looks like the Wings since the Mantha draft they've put a premimum on skating skills.

*Fun fact: Tyler Wright was hired in July 2013, right after the Mantha draft. Seems we can see some influence in the Org happening.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If they guy can somehow develop into our own Wayne Simmonds I'll be ****en ecstatic. Probably in my top 5 non red wing players

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anyway it's been two decades.

Not quite. Are we forgetting Andreas Lilja?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1975106

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Worrell identified himself as another NHL player and former teammate when he was arrested last month on a traffic violation, according to a police report.

Worrell was driving an SUV owned by Andreas Lilja when he was pulled over Dec. 6 in Pompano Beach for driving with an expired tag, according to an arrest report from the Broward County Sheriff's Office.

Worrell, who is 6-foot-7 and black, repeatedly identified himself as Lilja, a 6-foot-3 Swede who is white, Deputy Lionel Davis wrote in his report.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Were any actually American? Reminds me of the Americans who go to Europe and still refer to black people over there as African American.

Yea always a funny display of ignorance. I just use black, always - never encountered a problem :laugh:

It's funny when it's a black latino (or in this case canadian) and someone says African American and another says they're not from America when they mean the USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad