Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
the wings took one of the toughest guy in the draft and hes not a Mike Mckee long shot type. I'm not gonna complain, I bet if he has a good year he'll be a wrecking ball on the fourth line for team Canada at the world juniors

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
the wings took one of the toughest guy in the draft and hes not a Mike Mckee long shot type. I'm not gonna complain, I bet if he has a good year he'll be a wrecking ball on the fourth line for team Canada at the world juniors

Yeah, I like there's been more focus on physical players. Obviously it's a fine line, skill trumps all, but having guys who can muck it up can help.

The Wings have been tissue soft for so long, a little emphasis on this lately is nice.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I feel like no matter who the Red Wings drafted people wouldn't be happy on here.

They took a guy who is a big, strong, and likes to play mean. Basically everything this team needs more of.

"I play a mean game," Smith said. "I like being on the forecheck, getting in guys' face, playing hard, score goals and finish checks.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887383&navid=DL|DET|home

I think this is a great pick from the perspective of his style of play.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I like there's been more focus on physical players. Obviously it's a fine line, skill trumps all, but having guys who can muck it up can help.

The Wings have been tissue soft for so long, a little emphasis on this lately is nice.

If the wings become bad theyll at least be entertaining. And really in today's NHL, you have Smith and Bertuzzi in your line up and youre already a middle of the pack tough team. If you still have Abby around, Brendan Smith in your line up and Sadowy pans out, youre looking at one of the toughest teams in the league for sure. At least they would have an identity

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I feel like no matter who the Red Wings drafted people wouldn't be happy on here.

They took a guy who is a big, strong, and likes to play mean. Basically everything this team needs more of.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887383&navid=DL|DET|home

I think this is a great pick from the perspective of his style of play.

I dislike that he seems to have no NHL top-6 upside whatsoever which is a pity for 2nd rounder. He's stuck on one of the worst teams in CHL so I'm giving him a benefit of doubt though.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I dislike that he seems to have no NHL top-6 upside whatsoever which is a pity for 2nd rounder. He's stuck on one of the worst teams in CHL so I'm giving him a benefit of doubt though.

If he were perceived to have top six potential as of today, he wouldn't have lasted to pick 46.

Sometimes players develop past their draft day expectations. Often, actually.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Abdelkader was a second rounder, if he can develop into a meaner version of him I would be really happy. You dont need to have fancy hands to become a top 6 NHLer, theres more than one way to skin a cat. Lucic is another example, he was a second rounder and played one extra jr year before making the NHL right away. None of these guys had th best hands or the most skilled but theyre bulls so it works.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
By far my favorite pick of our draft. Wish we had picked three more big, tough, mean players as the Wings are sorely lacking in the "got balls" department.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
By far my favorite pick of our draft. Wish we had picked three more big, tough, mean players as the Wings are sorely lacking in the "got balls" department.

I think we have decent amount of "balls" incoming. Abdelkader and Glendening are at currwnt roster and Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, G.Smith and Sadowy will raise hell in the future.

We have tripled those kind of guys in last 2 seasons.

Why not sign also Lucic and Okposo from free agency... :naughty:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Abdelkader was a second rounder, if he can develop into a meaner version of him I would be really happy. You dont need to have fancy hands to become a top 6 NHLer, theres more than one way to skin a cat. Lucic is another example, he was a second rounder and played one extra jr year before making the NHL right away. None of these guys had th best hands or the most skilled but theyre bulls so it works.

I think Lucic is a great example of a guy that was tough but wasn't projected to be top 6 when drafted, but became one anyways. It's definently possible.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Mike McKee was also viewed as the toughest/meanest guy in his draft class. So there has been a willingness to draft these guys. The thing is very few of them actually have the talent to play in the NHL. This is why I like this pick I think Givani has the chance to be an Adbelkader/Lucic type of player who can slot into the middle six at best or be a 4th line agitator at worst.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I played soccer with a super white guy from Egypt. Took me a while to realize he was African American.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I think we have decent amount of "balls" incoming. Abdelkader and Glendening are at currwnt roster and Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, G.Smith and Sadowy will raise hell in the future.

We have tripled those kind of guys in last 2 seasons.

Why not sign also Lucic and Okposo from free agency... :naughty:

If we have a choice between signing just Stamkos or a 3-player combination from Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Brouwer, Okoposo or Eriksson, I would lean towards the 3-player combo. Won't happen, so I'll just hope on Stamkos.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Kid is tough as nails.... but lets not overlook that he is a very, very strong skater.

He might be the safest pick of the draft. Kid is going to play in the NHL.... His final role is debateable.

Need i remind people our 1st pick was a raw skinny kid playing tier 2 junior and was considered a 3rd round draft prospect half way through the season. And our other high pick was an undersized offensive d-man who didn't score at all and barely even played last year. Very risky in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->