Post-Game Talk: [46] Canucks defeat Maple Leafs | 6-4 ( Hoglander(2), Garland(2), Miller, & Pettersson) | Jones-Town Massacre

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Kuzmenko
Mikheyev-Aman-Lafferty

Next game pls. It can't hurt.
The problem with this as the bottom 6 is that, like Joshua and Garland, Hoglander and Lafferty is the key pair. They have chemistry and should stick together.

I think at the end of the day if you want to make a change you move Pettersson back to center and build a new line around him. Otherwise, you just have to accept the "leftovers line" and stick with the other three lines that work (Lotto, Joshua-Blueger-Garland and Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty).

If you're going to try to build a new line around Pettersson, maybe try something like this:

Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander- Pettersson - Lafferty
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Suter - Aman - Mikheyev

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Any update on Soucy?
He is fine he was benched after his terrible second period. I think the final straw was the extended shift he took prior to the Leafs third goal. He had a opportunity to get off the ice but decided to go prowling on offense. Then got tied down in his own end and was so tired he could barely skate back to the bench after the Leafs scored.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not saying I'd be confident in this, but I'm a little curious how this would look as a gamble:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Miller - Lafferty
Mikheyev - Suter - Aman

I think Miller's straight-line game would have a better chance of gelling and turning the Hoglander line into a legit scoring line that's a load to handle (Pettersson's hockey mind is kind of wasted playing with those two and the two things end up disrupting each other, IMO). I understand that the top line would be risky as hell and could be disastrous due to the lack of speed/forechecking on the wing, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it could creatively click as well (three guys who can find each other in soft areas and are pretty decent at carrying into the zone rather than chasing), particularly if Hughes/Hronek supports that line and leaves the Miller line to their own devices. That fourth line would have a bit more of a reliable defensive identity as well.

I know we're used to the concept of wanting one grinder to do the spade-work for the creative guys, but I wonder if one of the biggest problems with chemistry in the top six has been that one-track-mind Mikheyev/Hoglander/Lafferty types are such an awful fit with Kuzmenko/Boeser/Pettersson types.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
The problem with this as the bottom 6 is that, like Joshua and Garland, Hoglander and Lafferty is the key pair. They have chemistry and should stick together.

I think at the end of the day if you want to make a change you move Pettersson back to center and build a new line around him. Otherwise, you just have to accept the "leftovers line" and stick with the other three lines that work (Lotto, Joshua-Blueger-Garland and Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty).

If you're going to try to build a new line around Pettersson, maybe try something like this:

Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander- Pettersson - Lafferty
Suter - Aman - Mikheyev
Yah but I'm willing to risk breaking up Hog and Laff for the sake of Kuz.

He is fine he was benched after his terrible second period. I think the final straw was the extended shift he took prior to the Leafs third goal. He had a opportunity to get off the ice but decided to go prowling on offense. Then got tied down in his own end and was so tired he could barely skate back to the bench after the Leafs scored.
That's harsh. He's been nothing but solid in most every period otherwise.

One of your better ones
I'll give you one of my better ones.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yah but I'm willing to risk breaking up Hog and Laff for the sake of Kuz.

That's harsh. He's been nothing but solid in most every period otherwise.

I'll give you one of my better ones.
Myers might have been equally bad as both of them were minus 3 for the period. That said folks sure want to celebrate Myers play last night. Now I am speculating on the benching but the shift was close to two minutes long. Soucy had a opportunity to get off after 45 seconds, the typical shift length. That we have not heard about a injury should concern Carson.

Reactions: mossey3535

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Zadarov and Myers were beasts.
Garland and Hogs were amazing.
Demko doing his best Grant Fuhr. Got to hand it to Nylander for adjusting. I don't like when we stop trying to score goals - this is the second time we took our foot off the gas after a near blowout in the third.

But the boys were determined to win. After that 4th goal by Garland they played amazing in the third and withstood the barrage of 6 on 4 and 6 on 3. Broadcasters were counting TO out with 26 seconds left and 6 on 3.

Demko didn't even panic this time when he lost his stick. Its usually a sure guarantee to let one in when it's gone. Made some great saves without.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Always good to see the Laffs lose.

Only thing strange to me last night is putting Suter back out on PP1 after missing two point blank chances the previous couple of minutes. That experiment needs to stop.

Reactions: B-rock

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
"WE WANT FLORIDA!"

Untitled-2__60971.1683918869.jpg

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It’s because of the foundational foundation @Hit the post laid for the future community mods
I'd report your post for a personal attack; but then again, you are telling the truth.:naughty:

at least we’re not paying infinity bajillion dollars for 4 forwards when only 2 at most can show up in the playoffs
One. And he's probably the least of the "big three" of their's that you'd expect to 'show up' come playoff time.

Reactions: PG Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Leafs social media board is blowing up over the post-game comments from Tie Domi. He was quoted as saying that "Tocchet is the best coach in hockey, and his team always comes ready to play."

So where does that leave Sheldon Keefe? Squarely under the bus.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Leafs social media board is blowing up over the post-game comments from Tie Domi. He was quoted as saying that "Tocchet is the best coach in hockey, and his team always comes ready to play."

So where does that leave Sheldon Keefe? Squarely under the bus.
Well, I'm not sure anyone was exactly arguing that Keefe was the best in the league?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
re: 1st Nylander goal. Man, you know what's a stupid colour to have as your team's primary sweater when the prime directive of the game you're playing is to find the thing that's black? Black.

Then on top of that, he's got white pads so what's the point? There is no advantage in this game for Demko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad