45th pick for Latendresse is it fair ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Given the early reports from rookie camp, so far so good. We might have a stud power forward on our hands. I'm going to agree that his shoulder injury might have turned some teams away. Then again, he isn't playing far from the Habs backyard so I'm assuming they saw quite a bit from him and liked him enough to trade up in the draft.

However, it's way too soon to make any sort of assessment on Latendresse, as I believe he should play another year in the Q.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
HABS-65 said:
Do you agree that Latendresse is a mid 2nd round pick or do you think he should have been a 1st round pick ???

In Montreal , he is very praises by the coaches , scouts and journalists , seems like one of the biggest steal of the draft .
I say he should have been pick late 1st round like 25-30 pick

I still think Hensick is gonna be one of the biggest steals.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
We'll see. Latendresse has looked better than any Montreal player I've seen at rookie camps/tournaments in the last 7-10 years, for whatever that's worth.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Latendresse and Levasseur had the same problem. I'm pretty sure the staff and scouts talk like this when it was their turn:

- Hey, Latendresse still available and he's on top of our list. We take him?
- Never though he would go down that far ... but it's been days that we talk of getting (enter player name) and everyone seem ok with it ...
- Yeah, we all been convince that (enter player name) would be a great choice.
- Yeah, and if Latendresse still isn't pick, it must have problem we don't know ... plus is skating issues ... I prefer we take (enter player name)
- Yeah you're right, (enter player name), that's our choice!

I think that's why a player like Levasseur (I think he was rated top 15 by Redline) was only take in round 7.

Well, I'm pretty happy with the draft we had (Price, Latendresse, Mikus etc ...), but only the future will show us if it was a good drafting year for us.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
EagleBelfour said:
Latendresse and Levasseur had the same problem. I'm pretty sure the staff and scouts talk like this when it was their turn:

- Hey, Latendresse still available and he's on top of our list. We take him?
- Never though he would go down that far ... but it's been days that we talk of getting (enter player name) and everyone seem ok with it ...
- Yeah, we all been convince that (enter player name) would be a great choice.
- Yeah, and if Latendresse still isn't pick, it must have problem we don't know ... plus is skating issues ... I prefer we take (enter player name)
- Yeah you're right, (enter player name), that's our choice!

I think that's why a player like Levasseur (I think he was rated top 15 by Redline) was only take in round 7.

Well, I'm pretty happy with the draft we had (Price, Latendresse, Mikus etc ...), but only the future will show us if it was a good drafting year for us.

Levasseur dropped because he was brutal last year.

Latendresse dropped because my crippled grand mother can skate better.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Jon Prescription said:

What was your username before ?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

I think you'd change your tune if you've seen him play recently. His skating was average to above average in the rookie tournament. That puts him below average for the NHL, but skating isn't a major issue for him right now. And unlike many poor skaters, Latendresse's strength on his skates and agility is well above average.

Besides, skating isn't the be-all, end-all when you have good hockey sense.

I think there must be other reason(s) Latendresse fell.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
No, it definitely not fair...for the rest of us. The rest of us are going to have to suffer through years of Lantendresse hype and constant posts by Habs fans about this "steal". It was bad enough with Schremp last year and O'Sullivan the year before(thank God there aren't too many Minny fans on this board.) but this is going to make these two look like a drop in the bucket.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jon Prescription said:

Didn't the leafs just sign her?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Legionnaire said:
No, it definitely not fair...for the rest of us. The rest of us are going to have to suffer through years of Lantendresse hype and constant posts by Habs fans about this "steal". It was bad enough with Schremp last year and O'Sullivan the year before(thank God there aren't too many Minny fans on this board.) but this is going to make these two look like a drop in the bucket.

Yes, and it's not like you can't open those threads at all if you don't like them. It's like you're exposed to the hype 24/24 and you can't do NOTHING about it. I wouldn't want to be you, it must be really terrible. :sarcasm:

BTW, you know what's going to be even more annoying than the "steal" talks ? Posters like you, who have nothing to contribute to these boards and come drop gems of wisdom like this in those threads. Threads they don't care about but that interest others...

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Jon Prescription said:

JPL's fall had extremely little to do with his play. The problem with him was that he played very little after Christmas and only a few scouts got to see him in even limited action. He was passed over because of the uncertainty of drafting a guy who nobody had any idea of if he'd improved at all since Christmas. Sylvain Michaud was acquired by Rouyn-Noranda and took his job because he, a 19 year old I believe, played extremely well down the stretch.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
E = CH² said:
Yes, and it's not like you can't open those threads at all if you don't like them. It's like you're exposed to the hype 24/24 and you can't do NOTHING about it. I wouldn't want to be you, it must be really terrible. :sarcasm:

BTW, you know what's going to be even more annoying than the "steal" talks ? Posters like you, who have nothing to contribute to these boards and come drop gems of wisdom like this in those threads. Threads they don't care about but that interest others...

I contribute nothing? Ha. I'll take that as a compliment from guy who really knows nothing besides how to hype his favorite team.

Interests others? You mean Habs fans right? You know you guys have your own board right?

I always love these threads because they are "entertaining" It's always Habs fans saying how great so-and so is going to be, and then mostly people who live in the real world telling them they are wrong. It's great. From there it usually goes on, and it inevitably ends up with one of the Habs fans saying that their is some sort of "bias" against them; which is always good for a laugh or four.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
Legionnaire said:

Yep, and we will suffer with your constant bashing of us, for overyping our prospects ((like most other fans do).

Yea!! :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Legionnaire said:
I contribute nothing? Ha. I'll take that as a compliment from guy who really knows nothing besides how to hype his favorite team.

Interests others? You mean Habs fans right? You know you guys have your own board right?

I always love these threads because they are "entertaining" It's always Habs fans saying how great so-and so is going to be, and then mostly people who live in the real world telling them they are wrong. It's great. From there it usually goes on, and it inevitably ends up with one of the Habs fans saying that their is some sort of "bias" against them; which is always good for a laugh or four.

So according to your logic...all of Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Hossa, Plekanec, Latendresse, Chipchura, Danis, Price (all Habs prospects who've been hyped by their fans through the years) will all suck...and you've determined this because you live in the "real world"?

That makes a whole lot of sense...

As much as there are over zealous Habs fans on this board, there are as many non Habs fans dedicated to declaring every Habs prospect a bust...

Claypool_*

Matt MacInnis said:
He was passed over because of the uncertainty of drafting a guy who nobody had any idea of if he'd improved at all since Christmas.

If the guy was that good none of that would matter. If Crosby got hurt in his first game last year and missed the whole year, he still would have gone #1.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Legionnaire said:

Bla bla bla

So you're a mind reader now ? You know exactly what everyone else on these boards think at a given moment ? When people create these threads here, it's because they want to know what people like Matt MacInnis think. Not you, believe me.

I don't have a problem with people saying there's X, and Y, and Z problem with him, that's why he fell, no matter if they're right or wrong. And others who come up and defend said prospect.

At least they don't come to a thread and say : "ohhh woe is me, I suffer because of the hype, my skin burrrns, it buuurrnnns, boohoo !"

Anyway, what do you expect ? We're on the prospect board on hockeysfuture. Like you said we had this question about Schremp, O'sullivan, Hudler, Bergeron, etc. We'll have it again next year with another prospect. If you don't like it, maybe you had better avoid those threads at the same date next year and leave the people who like to discuss such matters between themselves. Wether they are 90% composed of habs fans or not.

With this, I'm done with you. That was 2 more posts than you deserved.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anyways...about Latendresse, after seeing him for 4 days straight...I don't want to make predictions or anything...but at this level 18-24 yr olds...he was dominant...

From what I saw, there was no reason he should of fell out of the 1st round...none...

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
crosy was hyped from the time he entered hockey

Claypool said:
If the guy was that good none of that would matter. If Crosby got hurt in his first game last year and missed the whole year, he still would have gone #1.

rader one less year of scouting wouldn't have made any difference, crosby was heavilly scouted by teams long before his draft year, so yes crosby didn't have to worry about dropping because of injur, same can't bne said about latendresse after crosby everey pick is wild card, we'll see what happens in three years or maybe even year.

se7en*

I was hoping the Oilers would get him REAL bad, so I think you have a good pick. I do agree that he reminds me a little of Isbister, but I know his work ethic will put Invisibisters to shame.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Tikk said:
I was hoping the Oilers would get him REAL bad, so I think you have a good pick. I do agree that he reminds me a little of Isbister, but I know his work ethic will put Invisibisters to shame.

Similar in size...different in every other way...

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Tikk said:

Isbister doesn't have the vision or hand skills that Latendresse possesses.
There's nothing wrong with his skating. Montreal got a steal and I'm jealous.
I really hope the pick Muckler wasted on Bondra wasn't #44th overall.

Edit: phew, it was 52nd overall.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Legionnaire said:

Own board?? Since when was the prospects board off-limits from talking about Habs prospects? No one forces you to read the threads. You're just all huffed-up and annoyed over nothing...but not surprising considering you have nearly 15,000 posts since 2002. Guess you need to fill your day with something, anything.

Was the pick fair? Yes, it was a better than fair pick for the Canadiens. We draft a young, strong kid that has put up big offensive numbers against almost all competition he's faced. Is he gonna be a star? Maybe. Is he gonna be nothing? Mabye as well. Is it "unfair" that he was picked 45th overall? Under the circumstances, I think yes. If the OP is asking whether he should have gone higher, I think he should have. Scouts probably drop a guy too much to fast if he runs into an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad