45th pick for Latendresse is it fair ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Great One said:
Ryan Zimmerman, Washington nationals 5th overall pick in 2005. The guy is already, in the majors. :biglaugh:

well Cabrera did start at 19.. same with Andrew Jones and Vladimir Guerrero (maybe vlad was 20.. not sure..)

anyway, Latendresse for President. ;)

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
There are reasons 44 teams passed him up, I dont know them but obviously 44 chances for him to be picked were skipped. This is just MTL media going crazy and trying to hype him up.

Yea, I kinda wanted the Leafs to take him, then went .. why don't we have a 2nd... then noticed Montreal took him and went, phew..

There's got to be something that made him drop.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Skittles said:
Yea, I kinda wanted the Leafs to take him, then went .. why don't we have a 2nd... then noticed Montreal took him and went, phew..

There's got to be something that made him drop.
Sometimes when a guy drops beyond where he is expected to go, the other GM's start thinking there might be something about the guy they don't know, and pass on him despite the fact he may have been ranked higher on their lists.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
FLYLine88 said:
There are reasons 44 teams passed him up, I dont know them but obviously 44 chances for him to be picked were skipped. This is just MTL media going crazy and trying to hype him up.

Says the Hab-hating Ranger turned Leaf fan. :D

There are also reasons why 44 teams passed on Bergeron in 2003. Those reasons don't look so good now.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Steadfast said:

There are also reasons why 44 teams passed on Bergeron in 2003. Those reasons don't look so good now.
Exactly. But lets wait at least a year before making threads like this one.

turnbuckle*

The obvious question scouts and, subsequently, GMs had was with his skating. Having seen him play several games at the Under-18s last spring, and then witnessing him in person at the Habs rookie camp, there is no doubt that his skating has improved. Guillaume trained daily during the offseason on his skating, including taking power skating lessons, he's obviously committed to improving.

His skating looked fine against players three and four years older, it's quite obvious that he will be a dominant force in the QMJHL this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the 50-goal mark this season and cracks 100 points, despite missing several junior games while competing in the WJC. Based on his play thus far this summer (top scorer at WJ camp, 8 points in three Q exhibition matches, dominance at Ottawa rookie camp), he's a favourite to make the junior team.

Latendresse has become very tough to knock off the puck, better utilizing his leg strength to attain position. He could always hit, and with better speed the hits are even more effective. He absolutely crunched a couple of Leaf prospects two years his senior, and against the Canes big Brett Carson was knocked senseless by a Latendresse crunch.

It's too soon to say he was a steal, but I'd certainly say the early returns are positive. His technique seems fine, he's plenty fast once he gets going; all he needs is a quicker first step and he'll be fine. The rest of his game for his age group is well above average.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
honestly if it was JUST his skating that scouts were down on, he wouldn't have slipped as far as he did. bobby ryan's skating is supposed to be mediocre as well, but he still went #2 and was consensus top 5 going into the draft. scouts and GMs know players can improve their skating and if the only at all wrong with latandresse was his skating, they would have noted it but still ranked him higher.

IMO there's obviously something else about him that most teams didn't like. what it is, i don't know

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
guess what there is nothing wrong

Levitate said:
honestly if it was JUST his skating that scouts were down on, he wouldn't have slipped as far as he did. bobby ryan's skating is supposed to be mediocre as well, but he still went #2 and was consensus top 5 going into the draft. scouts and GMs know players can improve their skating and if the only at all wrong with latandresse was his skating, they would have noted it but still ranked him higher.

IMO there's obviously something else about him that most teams didn't like. what it is, i don't know

Anaheim is taking chance with ryan at 2nd pick while habs get almost same package with higher risk better potential 43 picks later , its normal for some prospects to drop but it doesn't mean something is wrong with them.

Now its all about luck any of ryan or latendresse could bust or make nhl big time only difference between those two at so young age was latendresse was injured for long time last year and that might have tipped off some teams as they couldn't see him play often and might have made mistake recognizing talent, or some teams just like to go with hype and bobby ryan got plenty of hype last year.

from what i'm reading price and latenderesse are both switchable picks atleast from habs perspective, what this shows is last year had no clear cut top talent after crosby and anyone could jump out this training camp and become clear cut steal and if it was from our dear habs then it would be very cool ..

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
In fairness, it was extremely surprising that Latendresse slipped out of the first round. So this hype is to be expected. Whether it's right or wrong, who knows. BUt all reports indicate that GL put a ton of work into his skating and his showing tremendous improvement already.

Really, no matter what happens with him, nobody can fault the Habs for taking him where they did. So in 10 years when someone taken after him is a better player, hopefully people will have the common sense to recognize that on draft day, this was the right pick.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
While i do think its early to start praising the pick... i do think the habs taking him in the 2nd round was the best thing that could have happened to him and the habs.

they get a hometown boy a lot lower than expected, so while price has to deal with all the "was he worth the 5th overall pick" crap the montreal will undoubtedly unleash upon him, tendresse can sit back in his hometown... work on his game... and slowly realize his potential without the pressures of an eric chouinard or other french canadians taken waaaayyy to high. this might be the first instance where the habs picked a quebecer a lot lower than expected.

also as an organization, the habs are a perfect fit for guillaume, who is the only power forward type in the org. (prospects and the big club!) so you know he's gonna get a lot of personal attention and many chances to prove himself.

all in all, i feel like this pick will work out optimally, as somehow everything fell into place on draft day...

or he could bust

**** me!

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
In fairness, it was extremely surprising that Latendresse slipped out of the first round. So this hype is to be expected. Whether it's right or wrong, who knows. BUt all reports indicate that GL put a ton of work into his skating and his showing tremendous improvement already.

Really, no matter what happens with him, nobody can fault the Habs for taking him where they did. So in 10 years when someone taken after him is a better player, hopefully people will have the common sense to recognize that on draft day, this was the right pick.

He was rated 65th NA by CSB.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
monster_bertuzzi said:
Although one theory is that with the scaled back budget for Central Scouting this year, they might have put more stock in a very few viewings plus the big tourneys, missing out more than they ordinarily would have in their blanket coverage. And Latendresse certainly didn't look all that impressive in the tourneys. Maybe... :dunno: Rated 65th means he should have been taken around 90th overall, with goalies and Euros in there, so I'm just wishing the Habs had waited until the 3rd round or so to take him instead of spending so much to get him so high. :sarcasm:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
monster_bertuzzi said:
Link? I dont remember any other recent lists with him in the top 10, except for maybe Redline, which is ****ed anyways as they had Lavasseur in the top 10 and Skille above Johnson.
CSB is just as screwed up

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

Jeff Carter was rated 27th in their final rankings in 2003. Mike Richards was ranked 30th. Guys like Kevin Klein, Kamil Kreps, Maxim Lapierre, Jonathan Filewich, and Marc-Andre Bernier were rated above both, and Josh Hennesy was rated above Richards too, which leads me to wonder just who exactly their scouts are.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
FLYLine88 said:

Well, the kid goes to the Jr. invitation camp and does very well. He then goes to the rookie tournament, and all we hear is that the guy is dominating. He apparently improved his skating, which was his weak point prior to the draft. There were no other reports of anything wrong with him, except an injury which is fully healed. A local boy doing very well after falling in the draft...hmmm....I wonder why he's being hyped so much. :sarcasm:

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Quagmier said:
While i do think its early to start praising the pick... i do think the habs taking him in the 2nd round was the best thing that could have happened to him and the habs.

they get a hometown boy a lot lower than expected, so while price has to deal with all the "was he worth the 5th overall pick" crap the montreal will undoubtedly unleash upon him, tendresse can sit back in his hometown... work on his game... and slowly realize his potential without the pressures of an eric chouinard or other french canadians taken waaaayyy to high. this might be the first instance where the habs picked a quebecer a lot lower than expected.

also as an organization, the habs are a perfect fit for guillaume, who is the only power forward type in the org. (prospects and the big club!) so you know he's gonna get a lot of personal attention and many chances to prove himself.

all in all, i feel like this pick will work out optimally, as somehow everything fell into place on draft day...

or he could bust

**** me!

Good post. I really like the PF potential, even if he only ever becomes a hard-hitting but under-achieving enigma. Just that much would be better than the Urqhart pick looks to be turning out.

KH1

I was hoping for the Isles to grab him with their second rounder because I think that he will be a stud. Then again when I say that it is based more on mindless speculation and one nice tournament than fact.

He kind of reminds me of Brad Isbister--all the size and talent you could ask for from a young player, but something's just...missing. He could very well round out his game and become a premier power forward in the NHL, or he could fizzle out into an enfuriating enigma. I do think that he somebody should've taken a flier on him in the mid to late first round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Levitate said:

His shoulder injury and the inconsistent play in his return from injury, likely had an effect on his draft status, add in his skating, mobility and foot speed concerns, it makes sense why some teams would pass on him. Since GM's tend to love size and he had a very strong playoff, I expected him to go in the 15-20 range, glad he fell to 45th.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Steadfast said:

very true. lots of guys get passed and then teams are left kicking themselves, bergeron being a perfect example. and while latendresse likely has some flaws that led to teams passing on him so its reasonable to ask why i think it was a real good pick by montreal and was pissed that the rangers didn't get him with 1 of our 2nd rounders. those draft reports had him high for a reason so one way to look at it is he might be high risk but there is also a very high reward. thats why i was happy when the rangers got bruce graham last year. obviously there must be a reason he dropped to #51 but some reports had him as a 1st rounder which means the potential to be an absolute steal is there.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:

Central Scouting is messed up. The only useful service they provide is that you know who is available for the draft. Every other publication had him in the top 25, mostly in the mid teens.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
King Henry I said:
I was hoping for the Isles to grab him with their second rounder because I think that he will be a stud. Then again when I say that it is based more on mindless speculation and one nice tournament than fact.

He kind of reminds me of Brad Isbister--all the size and talent you could ask for from a young player, but something's just...missing. He could very well round out his game and become a premier power forward in the NHL, or he could fizzle out into an enfuriating enigma. I do think that he somebody should've taken a flier on him in the mid to late first round.

The only thing they have in common is similar size...the big difference between both players is that Latendresse has plenty of hockey sense...Isbister has none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad