Speculation: 44 or 88

gun to your head have to choose 1 to start the season. Who do you pick based on everything you know?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think they'll give Necas more of a leash. Haula is not under contract for next season; this is a golden opportunity to ease Necas in on the wing before transitioning him to center at the NHL level. In Charlotte, Gauthier is potentially in line for the type of opportunity Necas got last season. There's a long-term need for a Top 6 caliber RHS power winger. Another developmental year for Gauthier could be meaningful in that coming from the system.

Ultimately, there will be injuries and both guys will play in the NHL this year. At worst, Gauthier is cementing himself as the the 1st wing callup. That is very encouraging.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Well since 44 = 1/2*88, assuming linear progression, it should obviously be 88 right? Unless it's something stupid like golf, where you want the low score, in which case you obviously go with 44...or the lowest number on the roster #4

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
if the disparity between how gauthier has looked compared to necas (even with the latter getting better icetime, linemates, and role designation) in the preseason means nothing, then the group in charlotte that was bemoaning the elevation of the mckeggs and browns of the world have another talking point that lends relevance to their theory. necas has been comically bad during the preseason and gauthier has been a bull in a china shop. that has to matter for something.

Reactions: cptjeff

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I think it's important to have spots available in camp for guys who come in on fire and put everything towards making the team. I like the kind of team culture that that establishes, and I think that has a tangible effect on morale and competitiveness.

that said, I think Necas is such a great fit for this roster, skills wise. it sucks that the Canes might have to choose between Necas and Gauthier. even though they will probably slot into the same position, their games are quite different and both fill a need right now.

I voted 88 but really the Canes can't go wrong with this decision. hopefully whoever ends up in Charlotte isn't discouraged and remains ready to bring it when their inevitable call up comes.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I’m either completely missing a joke or here’s the equation lol.

“44 has made half as many errors as 44.”

x = errors made by 44

x = x/2

x = 0
The "joke" is that I think you can present this ~same thing in various ways in feigned mathematics.

I'm glad that you picked the one that doesn't carry the risk of leaving the multiverse shattered upon its wake.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
if the disparity between how gauthier has looked compared to necas (even with the latter getting better icetime, linemates, and role designation) in the preseason means nothing, then the group in charlotte that was bemoaning the elevation of the mckeggs and browns of the world have another talking point that lends relevance to their theory. necas has been comically bad during the preseason and gauthier has been a bull in a china shop. that has to matter for something.

Need to keep that in perspective though. Necas had Haula and Foegele for 1/2 of a game before Haula got hurt. The 2nd game (3rd game for Gauthier), Gauthier had the better line-mates as he was with Wallmark and McGinn vs. Necas who was with two AHLrs.

No doubt Gauthier has looked much better in the pre-season games though.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I want the Canes to do a Bachelor style, opening night ceremony to reveal who wins between Necas and Gauthier. Lots of drama and intrigue. Rod standing at the podium, center ice, with a single Black jersey.

*Window shatters*
"Bah Gawd that's Justin Williams's music!"
WWE Bachelor is the reason the guys in Charlotte got assigned their own songs, supposedly for "goals" purposes.

edit: corrected the appreviation

wwf_panda_bears_wrestle_t_shirt_1_large.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As others have mentioned, how much more does that matter than what they both did in pretty much full years at the AHL level last year? I think they were both pretty good down there, but I liked what I saw out of Necas more. Preseason is a nice tool, but I don't know that it's the be all end all personally. I think comically bad is quite the overstatement as well.

Plus, if Necas does have growing pains to go through, I kinda think early in the season might be a good time for him to go through them. Gauthier might be better able to hit the ground running if called up anytime after the season has started. I think it's much easier to drop him in later if/when needed.

I still don't think if a McCormick or Lorentz type was having the exact same preseason that it would be getting the hype and respect of earning it that Gauthier is. He's played great so far, I won't be upset if they go that direction, but I'm going with the guy I expect to be the better player, and not the guy that stands out for that certain style of play. I get that we all want to romanticize that every player should be playing with their hair on fire when trying to make the team, but that's just not the way that some players work.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’re fighting for different jobs so to me it should be irrelevant. I think 44 is trying to make the fourth line, obviously 88 is going for higher in the lineup.

I think 44 has the spot in question sewn up but I still think we could really use 88 on the third.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
reposting from the other thread:

yeah. necas had 52 points in 64 games and was a +20 last year compared to 41 in 75 and a -6 for gauthier. we're reading way too much into 2 or 3 preseason games. i have been impressed by gauthier, though, and i think he deserves to make the team.

Did I just read... is this... what is... a positive...

Reactions: raynman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2