Speculation: 44 or 88

gun to your head have to choose 1 to start the season. Who do you pick based on everything you know?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
There has been a ton of discussion and rightly so on who between Necas and Gauthier should get the seemingly single open roster spot. Thought it would be interesting to see who the HFCanes want.

Obviously there could be other outcomes than an either or but here we go.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Gun to my head...I went with 44 just based on effort in the three games so far. Still too early in my opinion, though. And if I were McLovin, I'd step it up a bit just to make sure I wasn't the new 13th forward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
:huh:

They didn't teach you math in rocket science school? :sarcasm:

tenor.gif

More like they didn't teach me editing skills...

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'd put Staal/Nied/Dzingle/Haula/McGinn/Martinook/Foegele in that category of guys who are best on the receiving end of someone else's playmaking.

That leaves Aho, TT, Svech as the guys setting them all up.

In terms of balance, I think what Necas brings to the table, speed/playmaking, is more what's needed than another in that grinder/goal scorer mold.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Nobody gets gifted a spot in Rod's offense. Necas's main issue that I've seen this preseason is the same thing that got him sent down last year. He's not good in the defensive zone and he is too slight to play physically. Another few months in the AHL won't hurt him. Necas will be the first call-up when a forward goes down. Gauthier has been more dangerous on the offensive side and he has been throwing his (considerable) weight around. That is the recipe to stick around.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
Like someone mentioned in a different thread, when the scoring touch inevitably disappears, what other properties do the players bring? I don't know much about 88's defensive game, but 44 seems to have developed a two-way game and a physical element as well, something that will be needed with Ferland's departure.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I'd put Staal/Nied/Dzingle/Haula/McGinn/Martinook/Foegele in that category of guys who are best on the receiving end of someone else's playmaking.

That leaves Aho, TT, Svech as the guys setting them all up.

In terms of balance, I think what Necas brings to the table, speed/playmaking, is more what's needed than another in that grinder/goal scorer mold.
If i’m the one making the decision, I probably start the year with Necas for this reason. We no longer have to worry about protecting Necas for the expansion draft, so I would probably give him until at least Thanksgiving to see if he takes his opportunity and runs with it. Hell, keep them both up and rotate them every 5 game until one of them gets in a groove if you have to.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
reposting from the other thread:

While Necas may not have 'earned it' in his 2 preseason games. I think he's earned a shot with his play in the AHL last year. Training camp is important, but it's also a small sample size and doesn't take a lot of things that should matter into account.
yeah. necas had 52 points in 64 games and was a +20 last year compared to 41 in 75 and a -6 for gauthier. we're reading way too much into 2 or 3 preseason games. i have been impressed by gauthier, though, and i think he deserves to make the team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
44. Mostly because, I don't 44 has much left to learn about playing wing in Charlotte, but I think 88 could still learn a lot about playing center in Charlotte.

If we think 88's NHL future is at center, I don't see the point of trying to shoehorn him into the lineup at wing when 44 has shown a more natural fit.

It also would not surprise me if 44 and 88 both make the squad and 23 gets traded

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've been very impressed with Gauthier, especially as a Gauthier skeptic.

However, I just think Necas is a better prospect, and just because he hasn't been flying around as much as Gauthier, I don't think that means Gauthier is the best option. It's a slippery slope with the "message", but sometimes I don't think "earning it" matters in a short preseason sample size, eye test or numbers. It's not like Necas has been a dreadful liability. If Lorentz had the exact same preseason that Gauthier has had for instance, I'm not sure he'd be getting play for a roster spot even if he "earned it".

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad