Prospect Info: #43OA - C/LW Janne Kuokkanen - Karpat, FIN (traded to NJ)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think I have it but I haven't listened to it yet. I liked Skyforger and Eclipse from them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think I have it but I haven't listened to it yet. I liked Skyforger and Eclipse from them.

Ah. I haven't even listened those fully, except for the few select songs that have got a lot of radio-play and that I find too pop-rocky compared to the earlier material to get interested about.

'Too radio-friendly metal' may well be a #finnishproblem.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
My favorite Finnish song has for at least 15 years been "Kaamos" by Apocalyptica and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Taken by London in the import draft

please
please
please

I like Karpat and our entire Finnish contingent we have built, but Kuokkanen to the London Knights is extremely appealing. That is the spot for maximum exposure and hype. With Marner, Dvovak, and possibly Tkachuk leaving he would have a huge role on the defending champs.

Not to mention it is a very nice nod to Kuokkanen. It has to feel good when the best team in a league (and maybe the only team who could possibly persuade him to come over) says "I want you".

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Asked Ryan Kennedy about Kuokkanen, and got this answer:

London knows what they are doing and usually gets their guy. A lot of work goes into those CHL Import picks, I don't think they would have used a selection on him if they didn't think there was a strong chance he would come over.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How that works? He has 3 year contract to Kärpät amd I understand has played in the pro League. What needs to happen that he could go to CHL, is it even possible? Does he ruin his AHL eligibility, is he stuck to CHL until 20 if he doesn't make it straight to NHL in some point?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wouldn't affect his AHL eligibility as he was drafted in the NHL out of the Finnish league and no CHL team held his rights at the time. Similar situation to Victor Rask a few years back.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Given the increased quality of competition in Liiga play, I'm not 100% convinced that playing for London would be the best move for his development. Sure smaller vs. bigger rinks and all, but he's playing against men is a pretty physical Finnish league. I'm not saying it is a better choice, but this feels like either one he makes is a win. My understanding is that he'd also have a pretty important role/spot on Karpat.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How's the transfer thingy for someone who is under a contract? There are the usual blanket coverage NHL clauses in the FEL, but it's gonna be a different thing with CHL, right? I don't think Liiga is especially happy about their guys ditching to play in just any league, especially a junior one.

Could there even be a chance that Kärpät rushed to sign him just prior the CHL Draft for a reason?

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
How's the transfer thingy for someone who is under a contract? There are the usual blanket coverage NHL clauses in the FEL, but it's gonna be a different thing with CHL, right? I don't think Liiga is especially happy about their guys ditching to play in just any league, especially a junior one.

Could there even be a chance that Kärpät rushed to sign him just prior the CHL Draft for a reason?

He can be "loaned" to London, in the same way Juolevi was loaned to the Knights while under contract.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He can be "loaned" to London, in the same way Juolevi was loaned to the Knights while under contract.

Ah. I see Knights were thanking Jokerit management for cooperation to make that happen:
http://www.londonknights.com/article/juolevi-and-mattinen-commit-to-knights

Jokerit was at the time a KHL team, though, and they didn't have room for Juolevi in the roster. Kärpät on the other hand may be less keen to give away a 54-points-in-50-games A-junior... who's 2 GPG in Liiga already. ;) They'll be missing Aho and maybe Puljujärvi already for the next season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ah. I see Knights were thanking Jokerit management for cooperation to make that happen:
http://www.londonknights.com/article/juolevi-and-mattinen-commit-to-knights

Jokerit was at the time a KHL team, though, and they didn't have room for Juolevi in the roster. Kärpät on the other hand may be less keen to give away a 54-points-in-50-games A-junior... who's 2 GPG in Liiga already. ;) They'll be missing Aho and maybe Puljujärvi already for the next season.

Kärpät's roster situation is looking grim for 2016-2017. It's possible Kuokkanen would even get to be a first liner there.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Kärpät's roster situation is looking grim for 2016-2017. It's possible Kuokkanen would even get to be a first liner there.

The dummies need to stop producing elite young players and their roster wouldn't get raided like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad