Prospect Info: #43OA - C/LW Janne Kuokkanen - Karpat, FIN (traded to NJ)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If Kuokkanen follows roughly along Aho's same track, this could be another major steal. Lots of similiarities.

Aho-Saarela-Kuokkanen in 2017? could happen. Helsinki Hurricanes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I remember after Dave took part in that Mock draft over on the main board and he took Kuokkanen, I told him that I thought he and I were the only guys who knew anything about Janne. I love this pick and also believe this might turn out to be our Aho 2.0 pick.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Don't know much about him past the highlight videos, but I really like what I've seen. Smart, shifty, and has a really good stick for stripping pucks away which stood out from other prospect videos I've seen.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I remember after Dave took part in that Mock draft over on the main board and he took Kuokkanen, I told him that I thought he and I were the only guys who knew anything about Janne. I love this pick and also believe this might turn out to be our Aho 2.0 pick.

I remember Dave picking him with our 50th overall pick in Vecilropter's 7-round mock and Gauthier with our 13th. I have to hand it to him, he knows his prospects better than most.

Your boy Jost got drafted by the Avs who doesn't need centers. And our guy Keller got drafted by the Yotes who also didn't need a center. Seeing those 2 teams take BPA reassures me that RF made the right move for us as well.

PS. It wasn't until then that I started to take notice of Kuokkanen and started liking his game as I also selected him in a couple mocks, just didn't post them here. Just out of curiously, how did you stumble upon him?

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I remember Dave picking him with our 50th overall pick in Vecilropter's 7-round mock and Gauthier with our 13th. I have to hand it to him, he knows his prospects better than most.

Your boy Jost got drafted by the Avs who doesn't need centers. And our guy Keller got drafted by the Yotes who also didn't need a center. Seeing those 2 teams take BPA reassures me that RF made the right move for us as well.

PS. It wasn't until then that I started to take notice of Kuokkanen and started liking his game as I also selected him in a couple mocks, just didn't post them here. Just out of curiously, how did you stumble upon him?

I do some writing for another blog and have been doing a bunch of research on prospects. came across his name on some of the ratings services and started drilling down. Button had him ranked 31st, Draft Analyst had him at 48, Bobby Mac at 43 and some others had him in the mid 2nd round as well. Started looking at highlight packages and actually watched a full recording of one of the international tournament games where he was off the charts good. He literally looked like a taller Aho to me...smart, smart, smart...always in motion and always seemingly in the right place, at least on the offensive side. He's a solid defender, but he'll need to add some bulk to get better in that department but he's got such a quick stick that he strips a lot of the opposition of the puck. Plus that's a world class shot he's got and he can get it off in a split second. Mark my words, we'll look back on this draft and he will be one of the highlights.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I do some writing for another blog and have been doing a bunch of research on prospects. came across his name on some of the ratings services and started drilling down. Button had him ranked 31st, Draft Analyst had him at 48, Bobby Mac at 43 and some others had him in the mid 2nd round as well. Started looking at highlight packages and actually watched a full recording of one of the international tournament games where he was off the charts good. He literally looked like a taller Aho to me...smart, smart, smart...always in motion and always seemingly in the right place, at least on the offensive side. He's a solid defender, but he'll need to add some bulk to get better in that department but he's got such a quick stick that he strips a lot of the opposition of the puck. Plus that's a world class shot he's got and he can get it off in a split second. Mark my words, we'll look back on this draft and he will be one of the highlights.

I caught on with how Aho had been playing and took a look to see who else in the Karpat org we might be taking a hard look at. He had played well at the U-17 the prior year but he was producing at a nice level this year so I decided to do some more digging. Liked what I saw. Not quite as quick or as instinctive defensively as Aho but he has the same quick stick and better size. Very smart player as you said. Great shot. He seems to be a tireless worker as well.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I caught on with how Aho had been playing and took a look to see who else in the Karpat org we might be taking a hard look at. He had played well at the U-17 the prior year but he was producing at a nice level this year so I decided to do some more digging. Liked what I saw. Not quite as quick or as instinctive defensively as Aho but he has the same quick stick and better size. Very smart player as you said. Great shot. He seems to be a tireless worker as well.

Yeah, he needs to work on his overall defensive game. It's not that he's bad, rather the rest of his game is so strong, merely being average or good makes it seem out of place. He positions himself well in his own end because of his ability to think the game solidly, but he does look more mechanical. I like how you referenced Aho's defense; it is very instinctual and he really "feels" the game.

Mara

May 10, 2011
One thing I really don't agree with in the scouting report is the skating part, from what I saw it's terrible to a point where it was the number one reason holding him back, second being his lack of strength and defensive awareness. We'll just have to see how his summer training works out and if he can secure a spot on the regular men's roster - the good thing for him is that his team is going through a major overhaul, which should make it easier for him to secure a spot.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
One thing I really don't agree with in the scouting report is the skating part, from what I saw it's terrible to a point where it was the number one reason holding him back

Don't know where you heard this, but if you take a quick look at his most recent footage at U18 from a month ago, it sounds like a huge, huge exaggeration. He's not a Skinner, his skating doesn't stand out, but he's smooth and quick. Much better than say Victor Rask in his draft year.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I have the feeling this pick can turn in to a helluva steal like Aho last year. The coaching up in Oulu has been amazing lately and seems to me that you guys are capitalizing on it big time! Damn!

I was hoping the Panthers would have taken him early in the second :/

Last edited:

Mara

May 10, 2011
Don't know where you heard this, but if you take a quick look at his most recent footage at U18 from a month ago, it sounds like a huge, huge exaggeration. He's not a Skinner, his skating doesn't stand out, but he's smooth and quick. Much better than say Victor Rask in his draft year.

Mostly basing this on what I saw of him playing against men, where he seemed really slow once he got going. Reminded me of Mikael Granlund for some reason, the way he moved, a player with good tools but put him against the big boys and his weaknesses become glaring. The good thing is he can improve, and sounds like he already has.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Good pick, most likely he'll get a big role in Kärpät.
--

Carolina Hurriganes ;)

Hurriganes is old and popular Finnish band. They sing in English.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i love that aho hasnt even played an nhl game yet, and now this guy is the "next aho" because we also drafted him in the second round and he plays for the same team

im super excited about him too, but it might be a little early to worry about "next year's kuokkanen" lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad