Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I got downvoted to hell on the canes subreddit for saying I didn’t see any way we would guarantee Morrow a spot in the canes top 6. People just kept telling me about all the open spots we’ll have available next year and how he worked so hard on his defensive game this year :laugh:

Like, are we talking about the same coach Rod? He’s going to regularly ice a rookie defenseman with a suspect defensive game? Nah, not happening.
We’ve seen us fill in the roster more than we even wanted with role players late in the off season, often putting guys in front of prospects we were hoping got more of a chance. Rod often seems to make the lineup during the summer and tends to have the lineup he’s prefer set from the beginning of camp. It’s really hard to see him giving Morrow one of those spots without being told he has to. Probably a big part of whether or not the kid signs with us, he might want some sort of promise. Morrow thinks his calling card to the NHL (he’s said this) is his power play game. Remember when Dougie showed up after scoring 17 goals the year before and Rod wouldn’t put him on the top pp….only the second pp with Slavin babysitting? Dougie with his warts is still a top pair defenseman and he had to earn it with Rod. Morrow is going to walk in and get pp time? It’s really hard to see. You can say Rod has softened a bit as he made attempts to get Tony in despite his struggles, and maybe he has but this is still quite a stretch.

We could go all offseason inking Morrow into the lineup only to have us sign an Edmunson type to the last spot and make Morrow number 7. This would not be surprising behavior.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So the contract Morrow will sign. 3 year ELC obviously, assumably with the allowed max salary of $925k for a 2021 draftee, but obviously he gets the signing bonus of $92.5k for each year leaving $832.5k for the Base Salary (and $80k for AHL). Could be that yet a chunk gets taken out of the Base Salary to give him a Games Played bonus, but that would suggest they'd be planning to play him mostly in AHL.

He will get the ELC Schedule A Performance Bonus for the two latter years, but it will be interesting to see if our tight-fist gang will make it to the current allowed max of $1M (with 4 categories each worth $250k). I doubt very much, even if generally the college players get enticed to sign. $750k per, if I have to guess. Maybe $1M for the final year. He won't get the performance bonus for the first year, because he gets to burn it this spring and wouldn't be getting the bonus anyway.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If I'm Scott Morrow, I'm either getting a good feeling that I'll make the squad next season (not likely with our mgt. team) or I'm pretty certain (or have been led to believe by Carolina) that there will be a dedicated Hurricanes AHL affiliate. Otherwise, I ain't signing shit....

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I've heard his deal is essentially done, but he's not signing it until he's sure his assistants are take care of.

young-frankenstein-igor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad