Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
College FAs are not playoff eligible because they were not on that team’s reserve list at the deadline. They are regular season eligible.

Trades after the deadline are not regular season or post season eligible
Yep, which is why Makar was able to step right in after the season in Colorado but Welshy, when we signed him, would not have been eligible for the playoffs that year.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
If he signs a ELC in next few days, but only practices with the team in playoffs like a black ace, then we would not burn a year of his ELC right?

If so then that makes the most sense. Get him in the room with the guys, let him practice all playoffs and get used to the speed, then be able to hit the ground running in 2024-25 with a full 3 years of ELC. Plus he has to know he has a pretty much guaranteed spot with us next year if he signs.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Very well could if we like him enough. Still has a couple more years eligibility though and our affiliate situation still isn't sorted (publicly?).
Just one more year under our control, don't know about whether or not he has the extra covid year by NCAA rules.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No restrictions because he was on our reserve list before the deadline. Would you like the cba clause?
I would. I don't think it is said clearer anywhere than in the Article 8 (Entry Draft) paragraphs about the eligibility to play in the League, where they say you're eligible to play if you were ineligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, due to having already been previously claimed and thusly on some team's Reserve List?

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or
8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If he signs a ELC in next few days, but only practices with the team in playoffs like a black ace, then we would not burn a year of his ELC right?

If so then that makes the most sense. Get him in the room with the guys, let him practice all playoffs and get used to the speed, then be able to hit the ground running in 2024-25 with a full 3 years of ELC. Plus he has to know he has a pretty much guaranteed spot with us next year if he signs.
He could play in under 10 games without the slide, but both playoff and regular season count for that. But 10 games is plenty of cushion to still work him into the occasional game without contract stress.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Good question since he played in the ushl that season.
I don't think he would, but I'm not willing to do the digging on that. But likely irrelevant. If he plays next year and then holds out until August he's a UFA, and I can't see him forgoing a chance to go pro as a UFA for a 5th year of NCAA, even if no team is willing to guarantee him an NHL spot.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think he would, but I'm not willing to do the digging on that. But likely irrelevant. If he plays next year and then holds out until August he's a UFA, and I can't see him forgoing a chance to go pro as a UFA for a 5th year of NCAA, even if no team is willing to guarantee him an NHL spot.
The chance to burn a year off his 2 years long ELC might be tempting next spring. Nothing is stopping Canes from trading his rights prior the next year's TDL to a team more to his liking if it is apparent he is not willing to sign with the Canes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I think it's pretty clear the team holds him in high regard and we drafted his profile with our first pick that draft for a reason. Is this a case of Rod and the front office not being on the same page and a sign of internal conflicts? I doubt it based on what we know about all involved. Or maybe Rod also likes the player and is prepared to work with him through any potential struggles. Not much of a risk at all on a team like ours to play him on the 3rd pair as soon as next season. He won't keep us from winning games and making the playoffs. If he struggles, grab a 3rd pair rental at the deadline for playoffs. Really not that big a deal.

And frankly you're the only one I've seen with this low of an opinion of him defensively. I've watched him a bit being local to UMass -- haven't watched every game or broken down his game or anything nor do I claim to be an expert, but I don't see the flaws like you do. He has a lot of work to do, of course, but I think he'd step into our lineup and be better overall than, say, Bean was for us a few years ago. And Rod played Bean for most of that season and all of the playoffs.

His potential is sky high and worth having patience for.
We drafted him because he fell and was good value. People were turned off by the level he chose to play at that year (for good reason) and we hoped it would be a home run. I don’t think they talk to Rod about any of the draft picks going in, there’s a big disconnect between who we draft and who we like to play. There’s value in it of course and you don’t draft for the coach so it’s fine.

I don’t think saying he’s worse than Tony is being that low, because I think Tony would destroy the NCAA’s both ways. He would be a penalty killer even. I think that the level isn’t very well understood when we rate these guys. His coach shows us concern as well. He skates very well for his size and is 6’2” at least. That’s a coaches dream right there. How are four guys on that team better choices for PK’ing? As a junior? You ride your studs at this level, you don’t shelter. Even if we wasn’t perfect at it he should be doing it. It isn’t a legs thing, Ufko is over the boards in all situations first so it’s not a resting thing.

I hope you’re right, and the play he took it to these last couple of games is what he’ll really be. He minimized errors and stopped throwing meatballs up the gut like he did down the stretch. He got schooled in the big east final, but everyone gets schooled by BC. Yet at the same time the NHL is like BC all the time.

I don’t know about that Bean comparison. Bean is a better lateral all around skater. Morrow takes the pick with more authority but we don’t know that what he does will work in the NHL. I don’t see Morrow as better than Bean defensively. Rod didn’t have a ton of options when he played Bean as well.

I can’t see Rod playing Morrow over anyone in a playoff game aside from maybe a sheltered pp role like Tony, but Tony is better at that so I’d be really surprised.

I hope he’s signed, and I hope he develops. Based on what we’ve seen from the coach in the past I think he needs a lot of growth to be an every day guy with us. I don’t think he developed as much as he should’ve at UMass, they sheltered him from what he needed the most work at. He didn’t think it was a priority either.

People have us putting in rookies at defense on a team that’s defense first all the time, with a coach he tends to prefer vets if he has them to play. Something will have to bend there. Either they don’t give the coach options or the player has a lot of growth coming quick for this to happen.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ufko just signed…

Unsurprising. His coach publicly said that Ufko is the best defenseman he’s ever coached aside from Makar. He’s been fun to watch, we’ll see if he overcomes his size and can bring the same kind of game as a pro.

His teammates being in the pic is awesome! Is Morrow there?

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Unsurprising. His coach publicly said that Ufko is the best defenseman he’s ever coached aside from Makar. He’s been fun to watch, we’ll see if he overcomes his size and can bring the same kind of game as a pro.

I can’t place him, but doesn’t mean he’s not on there somewheres. Maybe one of the guys in the back. Also, don’t want to start the whole “he’s not in his teammate’s pic, what a douche” kinda speculation.

I think the Canes announce his ELC soon.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

We'll see...but the fact they tweeted the link as a tinyurl paints a damning picture of what they believe, I think.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can’t place him, but doesn’t mean he’s not on there somewheres. Maybe one of the guys in the back. Also, don’t want to start the whole “he’s not in his teammate’s pic, what a douche” kinda speculation.

I think the Canes announce his ELC soon.
lol I didn’t mean it that way. I assumed he’s around there, there’s a video where Morrow takes you around their locker room and he kind of beams about Ufko being in his class. Their lockers were right next to each other, I think they’re pretty close.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The chance to burn a year off his 2 years long ELC might be tempting next spring. Nothing is stopping Canes from trading his rights prior the next year's TDL to a team more to his liking if it is apparent he is not willing to sign with the Canes.
Burning a year off by playing a full year with zero pay means that he would miss out on that year of ELC pay, which would be a lot more than the zero he's paid in the NCAA either in the NHL or the AHL. There's zero benefit to remaining in college after year 4, even if he was allowed to, which he likely isn't. Maybe he goes and plays in Europe for a season to do that, but I can't see any reason he'd stay in the NCAA even if he has the 5th year of eligibility.

Staying for his senior year next year makes sense if he thinks he can get an NHL job with another team as a UFA, and doesn't think he's got a great chance at the NHL lineup here. But an ELC isn't exactly poverty wages.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

I could’ve sworn he said that of Morrow last year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could’ve sworn he said that of Morrow last year.

I’ve never heard him say anything like that but I may have missed it. He says here that he thinks Morrow will be amongst their best offensively, and it’s during his freshman season. There’s a news and observer article I can’t get to that talks about Morrow, Carvel and the Canes but I can’t get to it. Maybe it says something like that there.

This is one quote here where he says Ufko may be the best other than Makar. In two games I’ve watched the last week the announcers said they directly talked to Carvel and that he had said they Ufko was the best other than Makar.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
People have us putting in rookies at defense on a team that’s defense first all the time, with a coach he tends to prefer vets if he has them to play. Something will have to bend there. Either they don’t give the coach options or the player has a lot of growth coming quick for this to happen.

I got downvoted to hell on the canes subreddit for saying I didn’t see any way we would guarantee Morrow a spot in the canes top 6. People just kept telling me about all the open spots we’ll have available next year and how he worked so hard on his defensive game this year :laugh:

Like, are we talking about the same coach Rod? He’s going to regularly ice a rookie defenseman with a suspect defensive game? Nah, not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad