GDT: #40| New York Islanders @ Vancouver Cannucks | January 6th | 10:00 PM |F/L 3-2

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
made it interesting at the end but we didn't deserve to win..

Shows how 1 D man missing can really screw us up.. Donovan and Hickey pairing was brutal tonight.. Good news is we may not see Donovan next game, bad news is we will likely see Strait.

My last Bailey fact of the night.. We are 6-6 without Bailey.. 20-7-1 with him.. I am not saying he is the reason when we win but he is not the reason we lose games. Hope to see him back in lineup on Friday..

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Where was the intensity that they showed in the last 6 minutes during the rest of the game? :shakehead

I'm hoping they're just fatigued from the road trip. They'll fly home, have a few days off, and sleep in their own beds before they play the Devils on Friday. Hopefully they can recuperate between now and then, and bounce back in time for a string of divisional games.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
These are the moments when people need to hear Butch. He's not a homer, he just said it like it was, no sugar coating it.

he also said the "neutrons" weren't firing for the Islanders - but you get what you get from Butchie :)

terrible game all around, the score doesn't tell the story.

Players who were particularly awful: Hickey, deHaan, Donovan, Grabner

Invisible: Nielsen, Strome, Lee

Played well: 4th line, Kuly had effort, didn't get anything done (not atypical), KO and JT had a decent half game, Grabo was terrible but scored and played well with JT/KO.

Sadly, this was a terrible game played by VAN too. The Isles, with terrible efforts the last two games, gave away four points.

They had zero legs, no timing, poor passing, flubbing pucks, stupid penalties, no PP and were in disarray for 45min at least.

Wasn't too long ago the Leafs played this badly and lost 9-2 to Nashville.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Goal against number one: Nelson cycles the puck back to no one and Hickey and Donovan appear clueless as to what their next move should be.

Goal two: grabovski completely vacates his area of responsibility and the puck goes into the net. It would almost be funny if it wasn't such a foolish play. Even junior hockey players shouldn't make such a boneheaded play.

Goal three: seriously, what in the hell was halak doing? I still don't get it.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
he also said the "neutrons" weren't firing for the Islanders - but you get what you get from Butchie :)

Played well: 4th line, Kuly had effort, didn't get anything done (not atypical), KO and JT had a decent half game, Grabo was terrible but scored and played well with JT/KO.

Sadly, this was a terrible game played by VAN too. The Isles, with terrible efforts the last two games, gave away four points.

They had zero legs, no timing, poor passing, flubbing pucks, stupid penalties, no PP and were in disarray for 45min at least.

Glad you mentioned de haan...he looked like a complete space cadet on the too many men penalty. He starts coasting over to the bench to change, promoting leddy to come on but then, somehow, decides to not leave the playing surface. This was indicative of how spacey the whole team was tonight, really.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Its all coaching .... Funny how they all just woke up in the last 5 min. ... Where was Okbozo all night w that ??? WHY DOESNT GRABO OR GRABO NER SHOOT !!! TOO DAMN PASS HAPPY ... COaching is garbage as is the PP coaching...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Goal against number one: Nelson cycles the puck back to no one and Hickey and Donovan appear clueless as to what their next move should be.

Goal two: grabovski completely vacates his area of responsibility and the puck goes into the net. It would almost be funny if it wasn't such a foolish play. Even junior hockey players shouldn't make such a boneheaded play.

Goal three: seriously, what in the hell was halak doing? I still don't get it.

What aren't you getting about the breakaway goal? He wasn't sure he could get to it first if he came out, so he stayed put. His hesitation put him in an awkward position, and he was simply beat. It's not his fault he let a goal in off a breakaway where a play was that open and could've had a tea party before anyone would've caught up to him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Are you questioning Butch's science knowledge?! He knows what he's talking about, he's just too smart for his own good.

Thirdary.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
What aren't you getting about the breakaway goal? He wasn't sure he could get to it first if he came out, so he stayed put. His hesitation put him in an awkward position, and he was simply beat. It's not his fault he let a goal in off a breakaway where a play was that open and could've had a tea party before anyone would've caught up to him.

Why is he down so early? It looks like he decided to go down to poke check the guy but then didn't deliver the poke check...weird, weird goaltending play there.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why is he down so early? It looks like he decided to go down to poke check the guy but then didn't deliver the poke check...weird, weird goaltending play there.

I think his hesitation caught him out of position, to the point where he didn't know where he was, then became indecisive on how to play it.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I think his hesitation caught him out of position, to the point where he didn't know where he was, then became indecisive on how to play it.

My original point was, essentially, that he looked completely clueless on the play. I think we're actually in agreement.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Will never win a playoff game ( much less a series ) with Crapiano .... the lines need re- alligning ..GRABO and GRABO are the same player ... teach them both to shoot from all angles and never pass in the offensive zone ..NEVER ... and call Okbozo's mom a name, kick him in the balls , anything to get him angry and going.... This would never happen w the Rangers coach ..... Fire Weight ...useless donovan =AHL ....

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Will never win a playoff game ( much less a series ) with Crapiano .... the lines need re- alligning ..GRABO and GRABO are the same player ... teach them both to shoot from all angles and never pass in the offensive zone ..NEVER ... and call Okbozo's mom a name, kick him in the balls , anything to get him angry and going.... This would never happen w the Rangers coach ..... Fire Weight ...useless donovan =AHL ....

We probably would have beaten Pens two years ago if Nabokov gave them any goaltending, wasn't outcoached by Bylsma who Toronto is going to fall over themselves to hire.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
We probably would have beaten Pens two years ago if Nabokov gave them any goaltending, wasn't outcoached by Bylsma who Toronto is going to fall over themselves to hire.

you have just essentially said that Bylsma ( who TO would actually hire ) was worse than Crappy.... ok sure... agreed

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
and another thing.....i really haven't like Brock Nelson's game too much lately either.

I'll reiterate though, I am not worried about the team. I still think they are solid, when healthy (I don't like the 7th and 8th dmen or back-up goalie).

They've just played two really poor road games and have a lot of players hitting a "slump" at the same time. They've yet to play a stretch of games with JT, KO, Grabo all "going" - that's bound to happen at some point.

Grabner will play better as well. He's overdue for at least a dozen breakaways in the next three games - that's at least TWO goals :)

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It was fun meeting some fellow Isles fans at the game today. Some of them drove all the way from Portland to cheer for the team. Too bad that the effort was not quite strong tonight until late in the 3rd period. There were a lot of bad passes and standing around waiting to be checked instead checking the players near the slot area. There were a few focus problems tonight, probably because lack of chemistry plus travelling fatique.

Hope they will put the kid line back together as I think they play well together. The 4th line was the best line lately probably because this is the only line that had played together for quite a while so they know how to support each other positionally. Isles need to have players playing their natural position as much they can so they can get the best from them. I think Hickey and Donavan should not be paired together as they are both offensive type of players and Hickey is a puck moving D-man and he need to pair with someone who focus more as a shutdown stay at home game and only jump up occasionally.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
O well.

I wanna see Grabovski on the 1st line in the next game, he really stepped it up once cappy put him up there.

These guys were sloppy tonight, and really didn't deserve to win. They didn't play their typical tenacious hockey. They were flat, and Vancouver out played them most of the game.

I like Grabovski....as a center.
As much as I think he is a good hockey player, he has always overhandled the puck, offsetting openings he created with his skating.
He is the best face off man we have, and the 2nd best center, but Cappy keeps playing him at wing.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
not upset at this loss, it just makes losing that Edmonton game that much worse

*falls on face*...."that didn't hurt, I'm ok".

They way they played should make you upset. After making promises that the Edmonton gave was unacceptable and they had passengers, what did they do but double down on the crapfest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad