GDT: #40| New York Islanders @ Vancouver Cannucks | January 6th | 10:00 PM |F/L 3-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

oVxEhsL.jpg

Preview

All time series record: The Islanders lead the series 56-39-13 with the Islanders having a 3.5 GFPGA while the Cannucks are averaging 3.0 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ Vancouver are 26-25-3 with a 3.3 GFPGA the Cannucks are averaging 3.1 GFPGA at home VS the Islanders.

The Vancouver Canucks and New York Islanders both appear to have the pieces in place to make deep runs in their respective conferences.

While the Canucks looked every bit like a contender last time out, the Islanders are coming off a performance to forget heading into the teams' first matchup of the season Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.

The Canucks (22-12-3) are tied for second in the Pacific Division, and New York (26-12-1) sits in a tie atop the Metropolitan with Pittsburgh. Daniel and Henrik Sedin lead Vancouver with 35 and 34 points, respectively, while Islanders forwards John Tavares and Kyle Okposo have combined for 70.

This game could also feature two of the game's hottest goalies. Jaroslav Halak has gone an NHL-best 18-3-0 with a 1.91 goals-against average for New York since Nov. 5. While he's fourth in the league with 21 wins, Ryan Miller is tied for fifth with 20 after going 4-1-1 with a 1.66 GAA over Vancouver's last six games.

Miller came up with 29 saves and Henrik Sedin scored two empty-netters to surpass 200 goals for his career in Saturday's 4-1 win over Detroit. Daniel Sedin added three assists for Vancouver, which went 2 for 4 on the power play after getting only two chances over the previous three games. The Canucks are 7 for 16 with the man advantage in the past six games.

[B]The Islanders' power play also has been outstanding lately, scoring seven times in 20 chances over the past four games.[/B]

However, that's the only way they scored Sunday in what some called their worst display of the season, losing 5-2 to league-worst Edmonton. Tavares and Johnny Boychuk had two points apiece for New York, which had won three in a row and seven of nine but lost to an Oilers team which entered having lost 22 of 24.

"It was an unacceptable game from us," forward Matt Martin said. "There's no way we can just give these two points away, or worse, not even show up. We had small spurts of playing OK, but then we were making bad decisions on both sides of the puck."

Halak stopped just 18 of 22 shots as his personal seven-game winning streak was snapped.

"I thought we had some guys that were downright pretty bad," coach Jack Capuano said. "We were physical, we did a lot of good things, but at the end of the day it's about execution and there are some guys that need to look in the mirror."

The Islanders had dropped three straight in this series before storming back to win 7-4 in Vancouver on March 10. Okposo had three assists as New York scored all seven goals over the final 20 minutes, tying the team record for most goals in a period.

Tavares didn't play that night, but he has three goals and five assists over four matchups in the series. Halak is 5-2-1 with a 1.99 GAA in his last eight starts against the Canucks.

Miller has gone 5-1-0 with a 2.24 GAA versus New York over the previous three seasons. Henrik Sedin has totaled five goals and seven assists during a nine-game point streak against the Islanders, while Daniel Sedin has notched 11 points in his last eight against them.

The brothers have combined for three goals and 14 assists over the last six games overall.

Vancouver owns the league's third-best penalty-kill percentage at 87.2. The Islanders have allowed one power-play goal in their opponents' last 23 chances.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

R.I.P. Joe Cocker 1944-2014

Last edited:

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
These new arenas are so beautiful, I'm jealous = (

Rogers Arena really is a beautiful arena with tons of amenities, great place to watch a game. Not so much a concert though, the acoustics are lacking.

Though the Pacific Coliseum(old arena of the Canucks) can't begin to compare to Rogers Arena in terms of amenities and the like, it surpasses it terms of atmosphere for whatever reason. Everything about that place just screams hockey.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I'll be at this game in my Tavares rookie jersey, looking forward to it. Last year's game in Vancouver was amazing.

Have fun!

I hope we get Grabner into this game. I just think having him in gives us a threat just because of his speed alone. He's good for at least one scoring chance a game because he can get behind the defense. I just don't know who we would sit.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Have fun!

I hope we get Grabner into this game. I just think having him in gives us a threat just because of his speed alone. He's good for at least one scoring chance a game because he can get behind the defense. I just don't know who we would sit.

Not to mention Vancouver drafted him..

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Halak, leave your perfect drop pass in Edmonton. Visnovsky, you do the same with your beautiful feed to the slot.

Lat night's game bummed me out. Win these next 3, and you're all forgiven.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Cappy called out his secondary scorers after the Oilers game. Let's see how they respond.

Let's go Isles.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
After that disgrace in EDM :shakehead, this one will not be easy. The D needs to tighten-up, particularly deHaan. May be a tight game until early in 3rd. Predict: VAN 4 (EN) NYI 1.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Anyone want to start predicting Nyifan12's predictions? :laugh:

(Edit)
This is a big game for the Islanders to bounce back from the big egg they laid in Edmonton. The Caps and Rags have been winning, and while that will not last, especially the Pee Smells who fattened up on easier competition, we want to crush their hopes and dreams, make them work and sweat just for a chance.

I am expecting a hard working, fast skating, hitting Islander team tonight. It will not be a high scoring game, Miller has played pretty well, but we will get to him for at least a few. Just need to shut them down.

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
if we can win this, i will be very happy with this trip (obviously)

i will take 6 out of 8 points on a western trip every time

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Going to take a solid 60 minute defense first effort tonight. No more goals given, no more 2-0 breaks for the opposition. I don't care if it's a boring game and we come out with a 2-1 win, just get it done, we need these 2 points.

And for crying out loud Cappy, try Grabo at center already.

Lets Go Islanders!!!!!!!

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Thank god this is the last late game of the season (all other games start NLT 8:30 PM). I dunno, that EDM game is still really bothering me. I'm not as optimistic as I was prior to that debacle Sunday night

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Thank god this is the last late game of the season (all other games start NLT 8:30 PM). I dunno, that EDM game is still really bothering me. I'm not as optimistic as I was prior to that debacle Sunday night

I am (after the fact) thankful for the EDM. game. It should show if the team is able to bounce back. Your going to get hit in the teeth at some point in the playoffs. Its the teams that can take a hit and punch back that make the deeper runs. Lets see what they got.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I am (after the fact) thankful for the EDM. game. It should show if the team is able to bounce back. Your going to get hit in the teeth at some point in the playoffs. Its the teams that can take a hit and punch back that make the deeper runs. Lets see what they got.

Agree - not that I'm thankful that we lost, but its a foregone conclusion that they'll put up some real crap games and lose a game they should win. If they come back tonight and really skate hard, control possession and play with the focus we've come to expect, I'll be happy. Nothing wrong with 3 out of 4 on a Western Canadian swing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad