GDT: #40| New York Islanders @ Vancouver Cannucks | January 6th | 10:00 PM |F/L 3-2

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
and another thing.....i really haven't like Brock Nelson's game too much lately either.

Thank you. He's been awful. I totally disagree with your previous assertion that Strome was invisible. He was the only player on his line making the smart defensive play and moving the puck to non-dangerous areas. He didn't do anything else with the puck because being the only player in position, he had no support.

In general, I'm not going to get on the forwards too much, because it all starts with the back end. We had two defensemen who came to play last night - Leddy and Hamonic. Boychuk had a bad game. Hickey was absolutely brutal. Donovan is not a NHL player.

Our whole LH side is a total sieve, and this is something that needs addressing from a personnel standpoint. I don't know what has happened to De Haan lately. His confidence appears to be shot. He looks like Bruno Gervais out there. Hickey, otoh, has been overconfident and has been making bad decisions. There's risk to Leddy's game, but you live with that because of what he does to move the puck. But the team can't afford play like they've gotten from Hickey and De Haan lately. The latter, in particular, may need to sit a few games, IMO. But that's not going to happen without a roster move, and as we've seen, NYI are not going to do that. Personally, I'd make the hard choice and get rid of Donovan.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Just finished watching the third (so was not staying up any later to watch the inevitable).

All teams are going to go through this. I would rather see it on a western Canada road trip than at home. That being said...they have seemed clueless the last two games. That last 6 men on the ice was unforgivable bad. That is not just players but coaches and all looked like that had massive hangovers from long night binge drinking on Monday.

Hopefully the last half period is what we see from them against NJ.....need to see from them.

.......I agree that Grabo would be best placed at center for a period of time. Might just be what he and Kuli need add Bailey as wing. Nelson should go to first line.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
and another thing.....i really haven't like Brock Nelson's game too much lately either.

Thank you. He's been awful. I totally disagree with your previous assertion that Strome was invisible. He was the only player on his line making the smart defensive play and moving the puck to non-dangerous areas. He didn't do anything else with the puck because being the only player in position, he had no support.

Nelson hasn't looked good since he was put with Grabovski and Kulemin. That line just doesn't work. OTOH, the "kids plus Nielsen" line has looked good for a few games, but haven't been great over the last two.

It seems that our young players are going through a bit of a rough patch. None of Nelson, Strome, Lee, or deHaan have looked particularly great for the last few games. Unfortunately, this is the way it goes with young players sometimes. Let's hope some rest and home cooking do these guys some good before the game on Friday.

I think we should see the following on Friday (assuming the same line-up):

Grabovski-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Kulemin
Kid line reunited
4th line

I know some posters have suggested other combinations that drastically change the make-up of the forward lines, but let's be reality; Cappy is never going to shake up the lines that much.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Nelson hasn't looked good since he was put with Grabovski and Kulemin. That line just doesn't work. OTOH, the "kids plus Nielsen" line has looked good for a few games, but haven't been great over the last two.

It seems that our young players are going through a bit of a rough patch. None of Nelson, Strome, Lee, or deHaan have looked particularly great for the last few games. Unfortunately, this is the way it goes with young players sometimes. Let's hope some rest and home cooking do these guys some good before the game on Friday.

I think we should see the following on Friday (assuming the same line-up):

Grabovski-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Kulemin
Kid line reunited
4th line

I know some posters have suggested other combinations that drastically change the make-up of the forward lines, but let's be reality; Cappy is never going to shake up the lines that much.

I think that is exactly what needs to happen right now.

Lee Tavares Strome
Nelson Grabovski Okposo
Grabner Nielson Kulemin
Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise

In general, I'm not going to get on the forwards too much, because it all starts with the back end. We had two defensemen who came to play last night - Leddy and Hamonic. Boychuk had a bad game. Hickey was absolutely brutal. Donovan is not a NHL player.

Our whole LH side is a total sieve, and this is something that needs addressing from a personnel standpoint. I don't know what has happened to De Haan lately. His confidence appears to be shot. He looks like Bruno Gervais out there. Hickey, otoh, has been overconfident and has been making bad decisions. There's risk to Leddy's game, but you live with that because of what he does to move the puck. But the team can't afford play like they've gotten from Hickey and De Haan lately. The latter, in particular, may need to sit a few games, IMO. But that's not going to happen without a roster move, and as we've seen, NYI are not going to do that. Personally, I'd make the hard choice and get rid of Donovan.
I agree that DeHaan has been erratic in his defensive reads especially for a while now. Czuczman, Mayfield, Pulock, Mayfield should all be considered to give these guys a mental and/or physical break because it looks like they need it.

Always thought we needed size on the 3rd pair, especially on the road, where the opposing coach sends their bigger players out against our smurfs to hammer them with much success. At home, you can play the matchups so it's much less of a liability.

I like Grabovski....as a center.
As much as I think he is a good hockey player, he has always overhandled the puck, offsetting openings he created with his skating.
He is the best face off man we have, and the 2nd best center, but Cappy keeps playing him at wing.
Capuano's stubborn...and loyal to players with tenure. Doesn't want to upset the leaders on the team (Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen). It'll take more losses, it seems, to move those guys out of position and Nelson from center.

Glad you mentioned de haan...he looked like a complete space cadet on the too many men penalty. He starts coasting over to the bench to change, promoting leddy to come on but then, somehow, decides to not leave the playing surface. This was indicative of how spacey the whole team was tonight, really.

Mars must be in retrograde. :)

Also 2 bench penalties are indicative of the lack of communication from the coaches or that the focus is just not there from the players.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I agree that DeHaan has been erratic in his defensive reads especially for a while now. Czuczman, Mayfield, Pulock, Mayfield should all be considered to give these guys a mental and/or physical break because it looks like they need it.

Always thought we needed size on the 3rd pair, especially on the road, where the opposing coach sends their bigger players out against our smurfs to hammer them with much success. At home, you can play the matchups so it's much less of a liability.

Capuano's stubborn...and loyal to players with tenure. Doesn't want to upset the leaders on the team (Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen). It'll take more losses, it seems, to move those guys out of position and Nelson from center.

Mars must be in retrograde.

Also 2 bench penalties are indicative of the lack of communication from the coaches or that the focus is just not there from the players.
The two bench minors are a disgrace, shows that the focus was not there, either from the players or the coaches, maybe both. Not having focus after the Edmontion stink job is not excusable.

Nelson is ok at center. He is no worse at wing than he is at center, probably better.

Grabbo is much better at center than he is at wing. I would say from watching him the past 6 years in the NHL that at this time he is a much more accomplished center than Nelson.
What is so difficult of the coaching staff to put the players into their best positions?
JT, Grabovski, Frans, Cizikas down the middle. Not big but better than the big guy Nelson.

Nelson gets LW which he is better at than center. So strengthen both positions. WTF Cappy?

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Grabovski-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Kulemin-Nielsen-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Please Cappy!

That third line worked great at the start of the season. We should go back to that. I still would like to see what a healthy Grabner would bring to the Nielsen line in Bailey's spot for now. Nothing against Bailey, but where else can we fit him?

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
That third line worked great at the start of the season. We should go back to that. I still would like to see what a healthy Grabner would bring to the Nielsen line in Bailey's spot for now. Nothing against Bailey, but where else can we fit him?

I would actually much rather see Grabovski centering the second line for now, and adjust the lines accordingly. We have many options right now in regards to who plays wing. Yes, Nelson and Strome are also native centers that need to be groomed in that role going forward, but right now you put Grabovski at his native center position because it may get him out of his funk, because of his experience, and because it would address a weakness in faceoff draws.

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Grabovski - Strome
Lee/Grabner - Nielsen - Kulemin
Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

I just threw this line up as an example, but their are many options we can go with at the wings. Lee and Nelson can be swapped in at LW1, Strome can be swapped in at RW1. Find a combo at the wings that shows chemistry and stick with it.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I would actually much rather see Grabovski centering the second line for now, and adjust the lines accordingly. We have many options right now in regards to who plays wing. Yes, Nelson and Strome are also native centers that need to be groomed in that role going forward, but right now you put Grabovski at his native center position because it may get him out of his funk, because of his experience, and because it would address a weakness in faceoff draws.

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Grabovski - Strome
Lee/Grabner - Nielsen - Kulemin
Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

I just threw this line up as an example, but their are many options we can go with at the wings. Lee and Nelson can be swapped in at LW1, Strome can be swapped in at RW1. Find a combo at the wings that shows chemistry and stick with it.

LOL. I agree: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=95126071&highlight=#post95126071

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Nelson hasn't looked good since he was put with Grabovski and Kulemin.

No thats not true!! Brock hasnt been good last few games he played with Strome - Lee (remember Buffalo game) and he played on the pp with 1st unit! its not all just because hes been playing with Grabo & Kulemin.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
No thats not true!! Brock hasnt been good last few games he played with Strome - Lee (remember Buffalo game) and he played on the pp with 1st unit! its not all just because hes been playing with Grabo & Kulemin.

I don't recall noticing poor play from Nelson from before the line switch, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the case.

I also didn't mean to insinuate that Grabo and Kulemin were the cause of Nelson's poor play; just that the line has zero chemistry. Aside from the fact that they haven't been productive as a unit, Nelson hasn't looked good lately from an individual effort standpoint.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The two bench minors are a disgrace, shows that the focus was not there, either from the players or the coaches, maybe both. Not having focus after the Edmontion stink job is not excusable.

Nelson is ok at center. He is no worse at wing than he is at center, probably better.

Grabbo is much better at center than he is at wing. I would say from watching him the past 6 years in the NHL that at this time he is a much more accomplished center than Nelson.
What is so difficult of the coaching staff to put the players into their best positions?
JT, Grabovski, Frans, Cizikas down the middle. Not big but better than the big guy Nelson.

Nelson gets LW which he is better at than center. So strengthen both positions. WTF Cappy?

But he is a good coach, really. Win win win... all he does is win so much. Who cares about measly details like line changes anyway? :laugh:

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
As on the road you do not have the last call on matching the line-up, if you put your weakest 2 D man together (plus a bit on the less physical side), the other team will take advantage and put their biggest and more tenacious forwards on the forecheck to force you to make mistakes. Also I am pretty sure that the fact that Donovan and Hickey are left handed shots does not help the matter better. Position (R/L) is important because when you are used to play a certain position for a long time, it is really hard to change it as it affect your skating, your passes and yes your vision as well. I think if they are short of a D man on the R side, they should give Mayfield a shot (assuming if Pulock is still injured and not defensively ready).

Last edited:

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
As on the road you do not have the last call on matching the line-up, if you put your weakest 2 D man together (plus a bit on the less physical side), the other team will take advantage and put their biggest and more tenacious forwards on the forecheck to force you to make mistakes. Also I am pretty sure that the fact that Donovan and Hickey are left handed shots does not help the matter better. Position (R/L) is important because when you are used to play a certain position for a long time, it is really hard to change it as it affect your skating, your passes and yes your vision as well. I think if they are short of a D man on the R side, they should give Mayfield a shot (assuming if Pulock is still injured and not defensively ready).

I'm a righty...maybe I should get a shot? My point? While having three right shots and three left shots on the ice for balanced pairings night after night would be a benefit, you can't play someone who isn't NHL calibre for that reason alone. Sorry, but Mayfield isn't the answer.

Islesfans1978*

Every Canucks goal was assisted by an Islander.

Literally turned over the puck and made some real bone head passes off the boards. It looked like panic city out there because we were so flat footed.

Brutally bad game.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Just got a chance to watch the condensed version. Wow, Donovan directly involved with every goal against. Hopefully he can bounce back if he is in on Friday.

Can't really blame Halak on any of those goals. Maybe his rebound control was off, but none of those goals were really his fault. Isles have to be better in front of their net. My guess is with Viz in maybe one out of three of those goals happen.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Their passes went tape to tape. Ours were sloppy as hell/usual. There's your problem. Positioning and mental game.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This may have their worst game of the season in terms of "managing the puck".

Interesting coaching move putting Grabner from the IR to the first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad