Prospect Info: 36th Overall Kasper Halttunen

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Kasper Halttunen, born June 7th, 2005, in Helsinki, Finland, is a forward playing within the Finnish ranks. Halttunen stands at 6’3” and 207 pounds, playing primarily on the right wing. The 17-year-old winger played with the HIFK organization this season, splitting between the U20 SM-Sarja (Finnish junior league) and the top men’s league, Liiga. In 27 Liiga games, Halttunen scored just one point (an assist), while he produced 18 goals and 24 total points in 18 U20 games. Most notably, he captained the Finnish U18 World Juniors squad, where he scored six goals and four assists for 10 points in just five games.

With his U20 production, experience in the Liiga against men, plus his international performances, he’s considered by some a first-round prospect. He has been ranked 19th by Recruit Scouting, 25th by Craig Button, 26th by FCHockey, 29th by Bob McKenzie, 30th by Draft Prospects Hockey, 33rd by McKeen’s Hockey, 36th by Daily Faceoff, 37th by Dobber Prospects, 52nd by Smaht Scouting, and 71st by Elite Prospects.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Quality pick and a potential steal in the 2nd round, should be on his way to become at least a decent middle-six winger in the NHL. If he can work more on his currently clearly sub-par skating and find his scoring touch also in pro hockey then he could become even a legit top-six one once he fully grows into that frame. On the downside he's still years away from that and wasn't yet ready to play with men in Finland this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Quality pick and a potential steal in the 2nd round, should be on his way to become at least a decent middle-six winger in the NHL. If he can work more on his currently clearly sub-par skating and find his scoring touch also in pro hockey then he could become even a legit top-six one once he fully grows into that frame. On the downside he's still years away from that and wasn't yet ready to play with men in Finland this year.

Would be best for him to go to London IMO. HIFK is really stacking the offence for next season, and it doesn't seem like there's a spot for him. Really good pick for 2nd round, high scoring potential.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don't think this is a good pick. Halttunen is dumb and doesn't have much skill. Best comparable is Kristian Vesalainen (first round bust 2017).

• Wow

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Vesalainen
I don't think this is a good pick. Halttunen is dumb and doesn't have much skill. Best comparable is Kristian Vesalainen (first round bust 2017).
Vesalainen was a better skater and puck carrier, but couldn't generate enough offense at the highest level or carve himself a different role. Halttunen is more of a trigger man with a cannon and also meaner which should help him make more of his frame if he fails to sufficiently work on his weaknesses and become that top gun. I don't think he risks as much becoming the kind of a milquetoast pseudo-powerforward that Vesalainen ended up being.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
He’s young. He’s a leader. He has deficiencies that i believe will be remedied in due time. I’d let him marinate In Liga for the next couple seasons and I bet he elevates his game as he becomes stronger and more mature.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not old enough yet. I think he needs to be 20.
He hasn't played in North American juniors so this rule does not apply to him. He could play right away, but indeed that doesn't make much sense given the difficult year he just had in Finland playing with men. He needs to greatly improve his skating before he is ready for that. Get him going in Canadian juniors with a good skating coach at least for a year.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
The podcast with Kasper interviewed (Finnish Podcast) was pretty awesome. He seems like a really mature, competitive and ready to work to be on NHL ice. At the time he didn't know he was going to be a Shark but seemed very motivated that NHL is the destination. I'm really happy for him being with us, and also it's awesome to root for Finnish players in your favorite NHL team.
If he achieves his potential, he will be a Shark to remember.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
What just watched some video on this kid and as Boy Hedican said, his shot is dynamite!! I like.
Yes. To me, I get what people are saying when they have doubts and basically hold the sentiment we should temper our expectations. I can’t help but feel like if his ceiling is Meier lite or even a bigger Labanc type scoring winger, I’ll still be quite satisfied. I don’t expect a boatload of pts but with how young he is, im hopefully he continues to develop his game to the point we can count on him for at least 15-20 goals a season if not more .That would be amazing draft luck. Hey, it could happen!

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Yes. To me, I get what people are saying when they have doubts and basically hold the sentiment we should temper our expectations. I can’t help but feel like if his ceiling is Meier lite or even a bigger Labanc type scoring winger, I’ll still be quite satisfied. I don’t expect a boatload of pts but with how young he is, im hopefully he continues to develop his game to the point we can count on him for at least 15-20 goals a season if not more .That would be amazing draft luck. Hey, it could happen!
I find nothing wrong with hoping for good things. There has been some talk about him playing for the London Knoghts. He was drafted by them. Let’s… hope. 😊

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Considering that Musty sounds like he is also the Meier replacement, having TWO Meiers is always going to be good lol

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Considering that Musty sounds like he is also the Meier replacement, having TWO Meiers is always going to be good lol

And Bystedt is Center Meier and I think a lot of people said Blackwell was like the Meier of goalies. Pulli is Meier with a second Meier on his shoulders and I think Eklund is actually supposed to be Meier as a 14 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad