Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morey is not spending money on a backup center to play 5 minutes a game in the playoffs. Stop obsessing over it.

Then he's not very smart.

A quality backup C would allow Embiid to stay more fresh for the Playoffs. Its not about the 5 minutes theyll play in the playoffs...its about how the cummulative effect during the regular season helps Embiids performance in the other 43 minutes of the playoff games.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Then he's not very smart.

A quality backup C would allow Embiid to stay more fresh for the Playoffs. Its not about the 5 minutes theyll play in the playoffs...its about how the cummulative effect during the regular season helps Embiids performance in the other 43 minutes of the playoff games.
You just can't commit cap space to a guy that won't help you win in the playoffs when 7-8 guys play. The focus has to be on those 7-8 guys. It's like committing AAV to sign a backup goalie when you have a Vezina candidate in net. Just that the NBA regular season is much more irrelevant than hockey's.

Plus, who the hell is signing up to be Embiid's backup? No one good I'll tell ya that.

Reactions: Magua and SnS

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019
i am a new basketball fan, over the past few years my orange team viewing hours have become devoted to hoops. a lot of the fineries of the sport escape me, but i love watching the athletes.

the sixers are lacking peripheral athletes, you look at teams like okc, dallas, denver, minnesota when theyre going good; and the speed, leaping, and activity gap is evident.

morey will need to construct a team that suits embiids strengths, and that construction in tandem nurse's tactics will to a smaller degree have to allow for the team to win minutes with embiid off the court. to me it is immaterial if he is off the court for a rest, or off the court with a broken back (spinal).

what that roster looks like and how it behaves on the floor, i am eager to see. but suffice to say the sixers need a whole grip of versatile athletes.

i dont think it would be effective to seek a player that could "plug in" to embiids position and have the team play similarly around that backup, they must seek to accentuate embiid's strengths because it is conceded that the team is hopeless without him on the floor.

my simple basketball brain struggles in comparing the values of overall talent and production, against schematic and utility gains. like would the sixers do better with paul george, or instead with aaron gordon and the good mcdaniels?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Only Embiid is guaranteed next year. Of the other players under contract, I assume they keep Council. 50/50 on Reed. Dowtin has a club option that probably gets declined and replaced with a league minimum guy. Maxey will get a max deal as well

But I really don't know who you get. None of the big FA available, George/Siakim/Derozan/etc excite me a whole lot or move the needle enough to get past RD2. And all are over 30.

I think I'd rather look the trade route or sign a bunch of good fit role guys than go for the "3rd star"

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Only Embiid is guaranteed next year. Of the other players under contract, I assume they keep Council. 50/50 on Reed. Dowtin has a club option that probably gets declined and replaced with a league minimum guy. Maxey will get a max deal as well

But I really don't know who you get. None of the big FA available, George/Siakim/Derozan/etc excite me a whole lot or move the needle enough to get past RD2. And all are over 30.

I think I'd rather look the trade route or sign a bunch of good fit role guys than go for the "3rd star"

Probably going to go big game hunting.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
George. Butler. I think I saw another name or two floated.

I can’t imagine there’s anyone available that they can trade for especially with only Joel technically under contract.

They have a few trade exceptions and can always sign and trade some of their FAs (if they agree to it). Or can use Reed/Council/Dowtin.

The NBA cap is convoluted. I'm sure they can make it work.

Reactions: SnS

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'll roster Bronny right now if it means LeBron with Embiid and Maxey

LeBron is a dog and you need one if you're going to win with Embiid - cuz he ain't it. No matter how great he is, he isn't the guy to bring the hammer down. Maxey's having flashes of it, though.

Also, signing LeBron means you have a new GM so hey it's a win-win.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Stop with the Horford nonsense. They paid him 24M/yr to be the starting PF and occasional backup C. That’s not happening again. And they can’t manage for 30 games. If they could they would have ended up a top 4 seed instead of play-in team.

You're right, deluding themselves into thinking Horford could be a versatile PF/C was a better idea than signing a pure backup center to a $15MM/year deal. You can wax poetic about signing Hartenstein, but that could be the contract (with term) he's getting. That's pretend land adding that player and contract.

Yes, they can manage. Half the roster was injured on top of Embiid, and they had no real backup ball handler for a chunk of that. If they're making a premium move primarily geared towards regular season minutes eating and 6-8 minutes in the playoffs, then they're not winning.

Backup centers mostly are flawed and get exposed in the playoffs -- they're either small or immobile. You don't need to beat me over the head with how bad you think Reed is, but the Knicks are a unique team with Robinson+Hartenstein, which gets ignored. Show me the rest of the league's arsenal of expensive backup bigs.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ya know I do often forget about this

Because everyone stopped watching. Me included. Bam Adebayo couldn't fix this shithole:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 5.07.27 PM.png

Reactions: DancingPanther

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You're right, deluding themselves into thinking Horford could be a versatile PF/C was a better idea than signing a pure backup center to a $15MM/year deal. You can wax poetic about signing Hartenstein, but that could be the contract (with term) he's getting. That's pretend land adding that player and contract.

Yes, they can manage. Half the roster was injured on top of Embiid, and they had no real backup ball handler for a chunk of that. If they're making a premium move primarily geared towards regular season minutes eating and 6-8 minutes in the playoffs, then they're not winning.

Backup centers mostly are flawed and get exposed in the playoffs -- they're either small or immobile. You don't need to beat me over the head with how bad you think Reed is, but the Knicks are a unique team with Robinson+Hartenstein, which gets ignored. Show me the rest of the league's arsenal of expensive backup bigs.
Hartenstein isn't the only option, just an example. And it's not just about the series with the Knicks. Or about Paul Reed. It's about the fact when Embiid went down, Nurse decided that the best option to start (and frequently finish) games was Mo Bamba. You don't need to pay $15 million a year to get someone better than Mo Bamba.

PS: If you really stopped watching I guess you didn't see this. I didn't stop watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad