GDT: #36 | Islanders @ Devils | 7:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was Marty screened on the second goal? If not that was pretty bad. Marty seems to be having some later rust after looking fantastic the first two games back. He's given up a bad goal in each of the last 3.

It's like when he came back in 2009 getting a shutout first game back (Maybe even 2 shutouts in his first week back?) and then there was that HORRIBLE game on the island where he was pulled and gave up 6 goals a week or two later. I remember because I was at the pitiful game. Classic example of a no show against the Isles over the last few years like tonight was. I was also at the Yann Danis shutout in 09, as well as the DP shutout on MLK 10, and the other DP shutout on Thanksgiving weekend 2010 (Isles first win in 14 games, and those were Rick's last 2 NHL shutouts!):laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I saw your post about the half way split and I wanted to reply that he wasn't that close from one half to the next, or that he was more than just "a little streaky." Then I looked up the splits, even the month by month splits.... and yeah... no real drop offs anywhere. I mean yeah, he had 10 points one month, maybe 5 or 6 the next. But nothing too bad. Watching him he just seemed far more streaky than the numbers indicated. Maybe he pulled a few multi-goal games out of nowhere and then stopped scoring for the month to make it seem worse than the numbers show?

Well, at least the playoff numbers don't show that he was better than it seemed. Those are pretty bad. But yeah, oddly better in the regular season than it appeared on the ice. Not like it was even a drop in power play points or anything. If anything, he was better at that later on. Had 3 power play points before the all-star break, 3 after.

I really swear I recall him dropping off and everyone getting on his case about it during the 2nd half too. Maybe I am just remembering it wrong, but it seemed like it. Stats obviously tell a different story so IDK.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you guys think +/- is meaningless for a stay-at-home D, by all means go ahead. Must be a meaningless stat. That's why the league keeps it!

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If you guys think +/- is meaningless for a stay-at-home D, by all means go ahead. Must be a meaningless stat. That's why the league keeps it!

Not saying it's a meaningless stat... but in Volchenkov's case he obviously cannot keep up with most of the forwards in the league. Because of that, he hinders his partners ability to create plays. ANYTHING Volchenkov can do can be done by a defenseman with twice his speed and half his contract.

In fact, I think Volch and Tallinder (or at least their contract #s) were panic signings because of the loss of Martin.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
lol that's like comparing two turds and shouting 'my turd's shinier than yours!'.

Volch's actual contract is far worse than Sal's contract though (more term, more money and the NTC). The 35+ on Sal's contract really doesn't factor in to buyouts anymore, at least not the compliance buyouts.

Thank you for making my point for me. It was very nice of you!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really swear I recall him dropping off and everyone getting on his case about it during the 2nd half too. Maybe I am just remembering it wrong, but it seemed like it. Stats obviously tell a different story so IDK.

Must have been Glenwo's Sykora thread. He made a thread from what I recall ragging on him, and then he scored a game winner the next game I think haha.

If you look at his stats he did have a couple 8 or 9 game goal droughts, and even an 11 or 12 game goal drought once. He was very streaky though at times.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Was Marty screened on the second goal? If not that was pretty bad. Marty seems to be having some later rust after looking fantastic the first two games back. He's given up a bad goal in each of the last 3.

It's like when he came back in 2009 getting a shutout first game back (Maybe even 2 shutouts in his first week back?) and then there was that HORRIBLE game on the island where he was pulled and gave up 6 goals a week or two later. I remember because I was at the pitiful game. Classic example of a no show against the Isles over the last few years like tonight was. I was also at the Yann Danis shutout in 09, as well as the DP shutout on MLK 10, and the other DP shutout on Thanksgiving weekend 2010 (Isles first win in 14 games, and those were Rick's last 2 NHL shutouts!):laugh:

He was screened.

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
Lou:
8Y2bVTO.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thank you for making my point for me. It was very nice of you!

How was I making your point for you? You're a Volch supporter. I was pointing out that while Volch was playing 'marginally' better this season, he also has a far worse deal, so really an equal argument can be made who to buy out.

Besides, the only reason people are itching to buy Sal out is because he's unscratchable at this point with the C. If he didn't have that C I don't think there's nearly as much whining about the contract and he probably would have been rotated in and out like most of the other vets.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was screened.

Alright can't blame a goalie for not stopping a shot he can't see. He was probably screened by his own teammates cause we can't create a god damn screen on the opposing goalie, but we do it a lot to our own.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How was I making your point for you? You're a Volch supporter. I was pointing out that while Volch was playing 'marginally' better this season, he also has a far worse deal, so really an equal argument can be made who to buy out.

Besides, the only reason people are itching to buy Sal out is because he's unscratchable at this point with the C. If he didn't have that C I don't think there's nearly as much whining about the contract and he probably would have been rotated in and out like most of the other vets.

When did I say I was a Volch supporter? I must have missed that! I was just trying to show how bad Sal has been lately. He's played terribly, and is on a bad contract. Volch has managed his less significant minutes better but is on a terrible contract. My point is that Sal is flirting with compliance buyout status.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Alright can't blame a goalie for not stopping a shot he can't see. He was probably screened by his own teammates cause we can't create a god damn screen on the opposing goalie, but we do it a lot to our own.

I think that might of been the case. Was a shot that should never of gotten through from what I recall (though my recalling is bad)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Volch should be the buyout. Salvador has 2 more years left. Volchenkov has 3, is worse, and costs over a million more a year.

Status Quo*

Just got home from the game but not before I ate my feelings away with a ton of Taco Bell. **** this team.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Unless he's back in for Sal, what's the point? Goal #1 was on Sal himself, Goal #2 was a Marty hairball, and Goal #3 Zubrus looked like he never played in his life (first being unsure whether to change, then forgetting about Tavares backdoor). Clearly the latter two are still rusty, unfortunately we don't have a lot of time left to get them back up to speed.

I would think the thinking would be to just get some new energy in the group, and because Bruins is such a heavy, nasty team but not that fast, Volch can actually work OK there.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Salvador and Volch starting for the same team is comical.

But we lost a lot of goal scoring compared to last year and still are prone to defensive breakdowns with the style and personnel we have. Not like we held leads last year either. We just can't score to compensate for any of them now.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm looking at the remaining 12 games and I'm really having a hard time seeing where we pick up some wins. Philly maybe? The Buffalo game? Our schedule is a ****ing death march :facepalm:

2-7-3 or 2-8-2. Call me a pessimist but I just can't see any good coming out of this. They'll have to hold off the Caps, Hurricanes, Islanders and Rangers and all they have are 2 games against the Rangers, both in the garden, mind you. If they do find a way to make it, they will most definitely deserved it because **** is about to get mad real.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Please don't give me the +/- numbers for Volchenkov. Hell, don't give me ANY numbers for Volchnkov. How about just watching the guy play and realizing that 80% of the forwards in this league can skate circles around him and blow by him.

:sarcasm:

Same here. Like I said in the first half of my post, maybe he had a two point or two goal game early in a month and then went 0-for-a few weeks before closing the month with a point or two to make it look more balanced. Totally agree that it seemed as if he dropped off a lot. Big picture numbers don't show it. Maybe it was just more of a game by game basis.

Just got home from the game but not before I ate my feelings away with a ton of Taco Bell. **** this team.

Damn that's a good idea :( If I was driving on my way home from the game, I totally would have done that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When did I say I was a Volch supporter? I must have missed that! I was just trying to show how bad Sal has been lately. He's played terribly, and is on a bad contract. Volch has managed his less significant minutes better but is on a terrible contract. My point is that Sal is flirting with compliance buyout status.

Could have sworn it was you defending him to the death in recent weeks. Maybe it was someone else.

Either way they have too many old, slow, overpriced defensemen.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I'm looking at the remaining 12 games and I'm really having a hard time seeing where we pick up some wins. Philly maybe? The Buffalo game? Our schedule is a ****ing death march :facepalm:

2-7-3 or 2-8-2. Call me a pessimist but I just can't see any good coming out of this. They'll have to hold off the Caps, Hurricanes, Islanders and Rangers and all they have are 2 games against the Rangers, both in the garden, mind you. If they do find a way to make it, they will most definitely deserved it because **** is about to get mad real.

i am sure they will find a way to lose in the shootout to buffalo (that game is back 2 back for the devils, not sure about sabres) :laugh:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

The key is winning the two games we play against the Leafs.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Could have sworn it was you defending him to the death in recent weeks. Maybe it was someone else.

Either way they have too many old, slow, overpriced defensemen.

Was not I. I admit I like Volch, but haven't defended him basically ever, and currently think he's worth about half what he's actually making. Would LOVE to have him at $2.25 million per, but that's fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad