30 year anniversary of the worst trade in Rangers history

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I've watched a lot of old games on that channel. My favorite is game 5 of the '79 series. Hedberg scoring late to beat the Islanders at the Coliseum. I listened to that game on the radio in my sister's room on her "hi-fi." The one down side is it's the Islanders broadcast and Stan Fischler is basically rooting on the air.

You are right in that it's Tim Ryan and Stan Fischler doing the announcing of the highlights of the game. I belive it was the National feed of Game 5 of the '79 Rangers-Islander series which to this day is in my top 5 of favorite Rangers games ever.

What you can do tho is go to Youtube and type in the search box "1979 Islander-Ranger series-All the goals". Some guy put together about a 50 minute video masterpiece and what's really cool about it, it has the Rangers announcing crew of Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick calling the action. Jim Gordon btw was a freaking great announcer. Made games so exciting. And the Big Whistle, his analysis was always spot on and he could make you laugh at times as well.

If you don't want to watch the whole video, you can skip to the 28 minute mark which is where Gordon and the Big Whistle start doing their pre game talking about Game 5 and how important it is. The guy who put the video together has all the goals and all the great saves and it last about 10 minutes or so. The audio is great as well and so I guarantee it will be worth your time and anyone else who didn't know about this and/or you want to know how exciting 1979 was for us Ranger fans who are around at that time. It was such a fun playoff run and beating the Islanders...it was as good as beating the Devils in '94 on the way to the Cup.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You are right in that it's Tim Ryan and Stan Fischler doing the announcing of the highlights of the game. I belive it was the National feed of Game 5 of the '79 Rangers-Islander series which to this day is in my top 5 of favorite Rangers games ever.

What you can do tho is go to Youtube and type in the search box "1979 Islander-Ranger series-All the goals". Some guy put together about a 50 minute video masterpiece and what's really cool about it, it has the Rangers announcing crew of Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick calling the action. Jim Gordon btw was a freaking great announcer. Made games so exciting. And the Big Whistle, his analysis was always spot on and he could make you laugh at times as well.

If you don't want to watch the whole video, you can skip to the 28 minute mark which is where Gordon and the Big Whistle start doing their pre game talking about Game 5 and how important it is. The guy who put the video together has all the goals and all the great saves and it last about 10 minutes or so. The audio is great as well and so I guarantee it will be worth your time and anyone else who didn't know about this and/or you want to know how exciting 1979 was for us Ranger fans who are around at that time. It was such a fun playoff run and beating the Islanders...it was as good as beating the Devils in '94 on the way to the Cup.

Couldn't agree more about Jim Gordon. He was fantastic. Equally as good when he was doing Giants games on the radio. :nod:

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for the head's up, I will definitely look this up. Jim Gordon and the Big Whistle are a Rangers classic. I remember Chadwick had a show on channel 6, Cablevision, that I use to watch. It looked like it was set up in someone's basement but it was great. I also recall Jigs McDonald having a hockey show on Sunday mornings on WBAB.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for the head's up, I will definitely look this up. Jim Gordon and the Big Whistle are a Rangers classic. I remember Chadwick had a show on channel 6, Cablevision, that I use to watch. It looked like it was set up in someone's basement but it was great. I also recall Jigs McDonald having a hockey show on Sunday mornings on WBAB.

I called in to that Big Whistle show. It was on a Monday night before my high school hockey game. I asked Bill if Beck was better defensively than Potvin. When I walked in to the lockerroom an hour later everyone was laughing because they heard my call and they knew it was me. :)

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I called in to that Big Whistle show. It was on a Monday night before my high school hockey game. I asked Bill if Beck was better defensively than Potvin. When I walked in to the lockerroom an hour later everyone was laughing because they heard my call and they knew it was me. :)

My friend called up once and he blew the question, it was pretty funny.

When I was young and immature I use to call talk shows all the time with dumb questions. I wish I could find those tapes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My friend called up once and he blew the question, it was pretty funny.

When I was young and immature I use to call talk shows all the time with dumb questions. I wish I could find those tapes.

I was disappointed. Bill said Beck is playing great but that Potvin was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad